What Is The Best Prebuilt

spectrascope

My GF's compaq is running since the days 950Mhz were the top of the line.

I bought it loll and that's a long time ago laugh.gif *wipes tear of laughter*

Anyway, if you want something that will last, not something that's nice, ocable,good looking,with modding potential,with room to grow...*goes on and on*

Compaq is the one tongue.gif

Ewwwwwwww Compaq, nasty stuff. i owned and still do (dont know why) a compaq laptop its like 5 years old now, ancient. anyways in the first year I had it, it needed to get fixed three times, the third time was the motherboard, bascially the entire laptop if I hadnt of had a warrenty it would of been in the trash. and its not like I dropped it all the time either, in fact I never did.

But now I will never go back to Compaq, yes this is before HP bought them but still to me compaq is 10 times worse than Dell. :O:D

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Basically all of the more popular "name-brands" you guys are listing will overprice things to hell and/or use low-end, generic parts.

I highly suggest www.cyberpowerinc.com. Relatively cheap with full customization abilities. The computer Im using now was originally a CPI pre-built, but now there are only 3-4 parts that are from them originally. No compatability issues with these guys :).

Sure these guys don't have the $2000.00 dollar nametag of your Dells, Compaqs, and Alienwares, but they get the job done efficently and well.

Edited by Instag0

ok well then to combat that.....

my dell was $1300

17" Flatscreen

Scanner/Printer

1GB DDR2 at 533mhz

Radeon X300 128mb

P4 3ghz HT

DVD drive

CD-RW drive

Optical Mouse

Keyboard

Speakers w/subwoofer

got this last summer

Have you tried installing any parts into that or playing around in the case at all?

Oh, and my Dell was $1000.00 (depends on when that "was" was :P):

15" monitor

733mhz celeron

onboard graphics

Soundblaster Live! Value sound card

128mb ram

2.1 Altec Lansing speakers/subwoofer

You know why they have "great" tech support? It's because people have so many problems with them and that they are forced to use tech support. When I was a computer newbie, out of the box, this thing had constant crashes and everything. They sent me a new motherboard, didn't help, new harddrive, didn't help. On the SECOND motherboard, 2 of the PCI slots and 1 of the ram slots didn't function. Mind you, if they sent the parts they sent the ONE Dell techie in my state over to my house to help. Usually took weeks.

I called tech support so much to no avail; the only times they actually provided solutions is when I messed something up, and I knew it. I told them what I did and they helped me out and back to restore defaults or do whatever I wanted to do correctly.

Later on, when I tried to upgrade parts, I went through hell. Maybe things have improved now, but I don't know. I am simply expressing my opinion.

If you buy any prebuilt, you are taking a risk that is not mostly under your control. If you buy and build your own computer, you are taking a risk that is mostly under your control.

Good luck with whoever you choose, and I hope you're satisfied with your purchase :).

Edited by Instag0

Dell blows, they use cheap parts and many of them are non-interchangeable. I speak from experience.

Dell is great though if your looking at bottom the line stuff, you probably couldn't build it for much less.

Edited by ks752

Basically all of the more popular "name-brands" you guys are listing will overprice things to hell and/or use low-end, generic parts.

I highly suggest www.cyberpowerinc.com. Relatively cheap with full customization abilities. The computer Im using now was originally a CPI pre-built, but now there are only 3-4 parts that are from them originally. No compatability issues with these guys :).

Sure these guys don't have the $2000.00 dollar nametag of your Dells, Compaqs, and Alienwares, but they get the job done efficently and well.

396653[/snapback]

I just configured one nice little A64 939 setup with 1GB ram adn a few extras for under $1000 dont remember what video card i put in.....ha but still it was pretty good. Im with him these guys aregreat and free shipping. Ive been lookign at all teh links everyine has provided and i like the way these guys give you FULL customability, and if you get a silver case u can get silver floppy drives, media readers, etc. to match :). That falcon place is pretty good but slightly overpriced compared to CPI.

Dell blows, they use cheap parts and many of them are non-interchangeable.  I speak from experience.

Dell is great though if your looking at bottom the line stuff, you probably couldn't build it for much less.

396693[/snapback]

I have to agree w/ this 100%. My girlfriend has a dell and it was only like $500. She thought it was great till she wanted to start doing video editing and stuff. My friend has the same computer and now he's realizeing he can't play any decent games on it cuz i has integrated video, no agp slot, and only 3 pci slots. dell uses the very bottom of the line mobos and parts to bring the price down. im just not a fan of dell cuz i work on them eveyday at work. my friend had to replace his mobo and psu cuz they broke. although this isnt one of ur options, i always choose to build my own because of how much cheaper it is.

I also dont care for alienware cuz it is soooo overpriced. I have a friend who payed $4000 for his alienware and my $1900 A64 rig can beat his in gaming benchmarks and stuff never tried benchmarking other benchmarks but im sure it can give him a run for h is money if not beat his. He's running a P4 3.2 i believe. Im running a A643200+ @ 2.7. Im not sure what company to go with but dont go dell or alienware. well thats just my 2 cents. good luck w/ ur purchase.

no agp slot

Oh yeah, I forgot that one. The motherboards of Dell are absolutely horrible in all aspects of functionality.

If you have tons of money to blow go for Alienware; they'll easily mark up something to $7,500 no problem for yah.

"You get what you paid for" is not always the case :).

I think thats it for my Dell/Alienware bashing for now, unless I remember something :P.