Official GUNS Thread --

BluePanda

I picked up 500 rounds of 5.56 this past Friday not even knowing about the ban,  guess I should start watching more news :(    Anyway instead of the normal $7 for 20 rounds it was $8.   I didn't even realize it till I got out to the car and was like wait a damn minute.   

$8 for 20 5.56?!  Holy crap man...  I don't shoot 5.56 myself but my buddy uses it and he pays $14 for a box of 20 whenever we go to the range together!!  I haven't bought ammo in over 6 months, I'm still reloading the same 250 casings (200 7.62x39, 50 7.62x54r) for my SKS and MN-M59 respectively.  Just did the third reload a few weeks ago, casings are still in good shape but I typically don't go beyond four firings including the initial so I'll probly be buying some soon...  Oh yeah, I'm looking forward to another 7.62x39 hunt... not.  -_-  Why must I love old guns...  Oh yeah, cuz they're really cheap.

WOW $14 a box, talk about getting raped at the range.    I havent been shooting my AR for very long but one thing i want to learn this year is how to do reloads.      Cheap old guns are great,  been trying to find 2 Mosin Nagant rifles since you can pick them up for about $150 but i havent been able to find any around in my area.  I want to keep one stock and then mod the second one.

So my next move is looking for a .308 if anyone has any recomendation on one, been looking at the remington 700.

I picked up 500 rounds of 5.56 this past Friday not even knowing about the ban,  guess I should start watching more news :(    Anyway instead of the normal $7 for 20 rounds it was $8.   I didn't even realize it till I got out to the car and was like wait a damn minute.   

$8 for 20 5.56?!  Holy crap man...  I don't shoot 5.56 myself but my buddy uses it and he pays $14 for a box of 20 whenever we go to the range together!!  I haven't bought ammo in over 6 months, I'm still reloading the same 250 casings (200 7.62x39, 50 7.62x54r) for my SKS and MN-M59 respectively.  Just did the third reload a few weeks ago, casings are still in good shape but I typically don't go beyond four firings including the initial so I'll probly be buying some soon...  Oh yeah, I'm looking forward to another 7.62x39 hunt... not.  -_-  Why must I love old guns...  Oh yeah, cuz they're really cheap.

WOW $14 a box, talk about getting raped at the range.    I havent been shooting my AR for very long but one thing i want to learn this year is how to do reloads.      Cheap old guns are great,  been trying to find 2 Mosin Nagant rifles since you can pick them up for about $150 but i havent been able to find any around in my area.  I want to keep one stock and then mod the second one.

So my next move is looking for a .308 if anyone has any recomendation on one, been looking at the remington 700.

Yeah, I reccomend the MN-M59 if you want a Mosin.  It's a sexy little carbine version of the "long" mosin, (Dragoon I think it's called).  About 2/3 the length, roughly the same as an AR-15.  I'm sure someone will correct me, but I believe the 7.62x54r (M59) round is interchangeable with .308 (or .30-06), but I may be thinking of another caliber... It's been so long since I've even looked at a round outside of what I use.   The M59 is such a common variant of the Mosin you can get them for as little as $100 (Got mine for $120 out of a lot my local store got in), and if you'd rather have a semi-automatic HPR I love my Yugo SKS.  7.62x39, 10 round magazine, very reliable, very managable recoil.  Easy double-taps at 25 yards, dead-on accurate to about 150 at least with me on the trigger, someone better could probly hit a dinner plate at 300.   Got that for $280 from a friend.

I know the .308 can be inter changed with the 7.62x51 round,  but you cant shoot a .308 out of a 7.62x51 gun.

The reason for the mosin is 1 they are cheap 2 ammo is cheap and 3 I wanted a ww2 rifle.    I was looking at 2 of them, one to keep stock the second to mod with a new stock, trigger, and scope.  Anyone within a 3 hour radius of me does not have any in stock. So that is the reason for the move to the .308, Im still doing my research on the it.  Im kinda stuck right now between buying a gun and making one, I know if I buy a new one the first things to go are the stock and trigger.  I swapped out the stock trigger on my LWRC for a timney trigger and love it, so I know im putting one in the .308 when I get one.   I guess it all comes down to how much money I want to spend up front for the gun.  I know over time I will mod the crap out of it, nothing I own ever stays stock for very long. 

i ve been scheming on building a AAC .300 blackout on a budget, but havent decided on quality, weight and parts yet,...frankly the truth is i haven't torn down an m16 since my army days, and have lost track of all the many and various vendors making parts these days...there are so many choices anymore that i'm not sure who to go with...any suggestions on the low price/high quality end will be seriously considered,....thanx occ

cjloki

Hey CJ I have a shop here locally that is putting together my upper for me and sells a base 300 AAC for right at $700 Includes everything but the sights or optic. They will however build what you want with a price that is based on your specs.

You can build your own lower to save some coin. If you put together your lower this place https://www.hardenedarms.com/ecProduct_281_31has a complete upper for $400 with bcg and charging handle.  Not a bad deal when you look at it. They seem to be getting good press as well.    

Finished my remminton 700 build. Doesn't shoot half bad at 200 yards.

11052373_1055365964478881_54722696090646

10996801_1052546121427532_17095056290056

Very interested,  what did you start out with and what have you done to it?  

Wanted to start from the ground up and buy an action, barrel, trigger, stock. Then go from there but just ended up starting with a rem xcrii. Dropped timney trigger in, kahntrol brake, HS precision stock. Vortex vipre scope. Ended up shooting real nice. The brake makes the difference in shooting 20 rounds in one sitting and being enough or able to shoot longer. Sucks being next to it lol. I have a .308 with a different brake on it and this 300 win mag has less kick. May swap barrel out at some point for a proof research or a custom barrel from a local shop.

Wanted to start from the ground up and buy an action, barrel, trigger, stock. Then go from there but just ended up starting with a rem xcrii. Dropped timney trigger in, kahntrol brake, HS precision stock. Vortex vipre scope. Ended up shooting real nice. The brake makes the difference in shooting 20 rounds in one sitting and being enough or able to shoot longer. Sucks being next to it lol. I have a .308 with a different brake on it and this 300 win mag has less kick. May swap barrel out at some point for a proof research or a custom barrel from a local shop.

Thank you for your reply. 

I've come down to the point were if i buy a gun the only part i want to keep is the receiver and barrel.  But do i just get a gun so i can shoot and then slowly mod it to what i want or just go balls out and build it from the ground up.   Going to head to the LGS in the next few weeks and talk to them about buying a modifing one or just building one from the ground up.

So in my mind the gun i would love to have

Black barrel and receiver, not sure on make yet

sliver/chrome PTG bolt

Timney trigger

Kahntrol brake, was already looking at it but thanks for conferming how well it works

the stock i would love to have is a J Allen Enterprises JAE-700