Anyone have a 'good' experience with a refurbished SSD?

I see alot of refurbished SSDs for sale 

and they are pretty cheap

like 256GB for 130$

but most of the reviews are pretty bad, they seem to fail alot

losing your OS data is a Pita

anyone have a good experience with one of them?

What SSD?? Are the reviews  from the drive itself or just the refurb entry??

I'm pretty tolerant of refurb products and the like, especially if the warranties are pretty good and the price justifies it.

Refurb storage devices might be hit or miss. If the regular retail reviews are bad, I would just skip it.

Agreed...but with good retail reviews it's worth the gamble.

Every HDD in my main rig is a refurb - running 3+ years strong now of 24/7 operation.

The quality and reliability of a refurbished item depends a lot on the company handling the Reverse Logistics of the OEM.  There are lots of great factory authorized repair, rebuild, refurbishment companies in the world.  And then there are lots that aren't much more than fly by night operations.

I do put a lot of weight into consumer reviews of specific refurbished items, because that can tell you a lot about the company doing the refurbishing.  And I think it pays to look at the reviews for the same new item too, in order to gauge the quality and reliability of the part or product as it was originally designed and manufactured.

For the most part I think SSDs are risky, but there are certainly plenty of other things that I've bought refurbished and been completely happy.

Oh, by the way.....  I work for an electronics remanufacturing company  :)   But no, we don't do SSDs.

I agree with wevsspot. I've bought new and refurbished and both were equal in quality. The only thing better with new is the warranty which is what you pay for. That being said I'm a little gun shy concerning SSDs, but if the reviews are good take a chance and keep all the receipts and packaging.

It's like the Russian roulette... You'll never know when it'll make a bang. And I'm agree that the users/retail reviews tells us a lot.

Edited by Smiki007