2013 Firearms Discussion

Nyt

no kidding, the price on powder and primers, if you can find them, is ridiculous. i also load 9mm, and 300 win mag, i have been meaning to get dies for 357/38spl for a long time, what components do you use, i prefer hornady imr and cci although i like win 748 for the AR and i frequently use sierra 

My favorite local shop hasn't hopped on the price gouging train but have a hard time getting components in but when they do they give me a call. Another store close by is a retailer so they don't gouge at all but sell out quick. The only place that always has primers is an hour away but charges 60 a brick for primers :/ overall, still cheaper to reload but getting closer to original off the shelf ammo prices.

For pistol bullets I do rainier or berrysmfg. CCI or Winchester primers. Usually hodgdon titegroup for pistol but lately whater is available pistol and shotshell powder wise. .223 reloader 10x or reloader 7 work awesome for 55gr .223. Pretty much just imr 4064 and 3031 for .308 powder. .223/.308 bullets are usually sierra, hornaday, or armscore.

well they say you dont save money reloading, you just shoot more.

i need to get working on some cases, usually i have every case in the house loaded, but ive got a few thousand 223/556 empties, and no flippin bullets to load them, i have them sized and deprimed but i really need to trim and deburr them

I started shooting way more then scaled down a bit lately. Snag whatever I can, when I can, while I can. Got so much .223/5.56 brass to process. Got some primers left to use and powder. Just need more bullet. Keep an eye on midwayusa. They usually post .223 bullets monday mornings but tend to sell out fast. I check every day and new stuff pops up for sale.

yeah, the last time i was at bass pro they where completely sold out of .22 cal bullets, except they had a zmax display on an endcap away from the bullets, full of the z-max line, i nabbed 2 boxes of 500 45 gr i think, i think that whole shelf was overlooked, they are good bullets to, the same as the vmax line but with a green tip

They are very good. V-max with cannelure. Shoot amazing. Finished up loading a 500 box last week and a test batch got half MOA with 23.5gr of 10x. Only downside sportsmans warehouse has been out for awhile. Nabbed this box from midway not too long ago. Hit refresh on bullets and they were up for sale. Went through checkout then back for another box and they were out :/

I've been wanting to start reloading for awhile I just never have.  Maybe once all the gun control hysteria dies off and prices go back down again I might.  So basically once Obama is out of office :rolleyes:

Though watch it be like the price of gas where it never fully goes back down just because people know they can charge more and people will still pay for it...

Edited by Coors

Though watch it be like the price of gas where it never fully goes back down just because people know they can charge more and people will still pay for it...

:sigh:

Unfortunately thats how its going to be, now we get to enjoy $20+ 550/rnd. boxes of .22 and ~$45+ 50/rnd. boxes of 9mm just because they can.

I finally shot for the first time with my friends. Shot my friend's Browning Buckmark (22LR) and Glock 22 (.40). It was alot of fun but the Glock was ridiculous, it threw shell casings every which way...though either I was improving or it was a little more accurate (hard to believe since the buckmark has a longer barrel...though I guess the extra gun powder might increase the round velocity to keep the .40 on target better) Also dat recoil on the Glock, I really didn't like much of anything about that gun. Even loading the Glock was a pain in the ass (though it's one perk was being a 15 round mag instead of a 10).

Also ANOTHER point against the Glock...$38.95 for 100 rounds and the .22 was a lovely $8.95 for 100 rounds. I'm already loving .22LR for leisure shooting!!

I feel pretty well versed that I'll feel much more natural the next time.

I finally got my forms/fingerprints in for my firewarms id and pistol permits... now *only* 3 months of pointless waiting before I get my U22 Neos and possibly a shotgun or Ruger P95 after that when I master the Neos (I love NJ!! :glare:)

Got to hang on to that .40. You can't limp wrist it. The .40 is going to have some kick pushing a slug that fast. 9mm velocity with almost .45 slugs. Just hang on and enjoy it. I find I am just as accurate with the 9mm, .40 and .45.

Lol yeah I noticed that, and the damn casings hitting me in the head an shoulder. Glocks suck :P

why is every one stuck on pistols, my last gun purchase was a Remington 700, chambered in 300 win mag, any of you guys want to know what recoil REALLY is come on over ill let you try it out.

I'd like very much to try a shotgun (I'm surprised myself I haven't looked more into them, they've always been my favorite type of gun)

I finally shot for the first time with my friends. Shot my friend's Browning Buckmark (22LR) and Glock 22 (.40). It was alot of fun but the Glock was ridiculous, it threw shell casings every which way...though either I was improving or it was a little more accurate (hard to believe since the buckmark has a longer barrel...though I guess the extra gun powder might increase the round velocity to keep the .40 on target better) Also dat recoil on the Glock, I really didn't like much of anything about that gun. Even loading the Glock was a pain in the ass (though it's one perk was being a 15 round mag instead of a 10).

Also ANOTHER point against the Glock...$38.95 for 100 rounds and the .22 was a lovely $8.95 for 100 rounds. I'm already loving .22LR for leisure shooting!!

I finally got my forms/fingerprints in for my firewarms id and pistol permits... now *only* 3 months of pointless waiting before I get my U22 Neos and possibly a shotgun or Ruger P95 after that when I master the Neos (I love NJ!! :glare:)

A .40 tends to have a more "snappier" kick to it.  You'd probably enjoy shooting a 9mm or .45 more.
Thanks for the tip!! My next pistol shall be a 9mm

A .40 tends to have a more "snappier" kick to it.  You'd probably enjoy shooting a 9mm or .45 more.

ive never shot a 40 my self, but i think .45's are more comfortable to shoot, my 9mm jumps around more but thats probably due to it having a smaller frame than my 1911.

but 9mm is much cheaper to shoot, i try to offset that by reloading my .45s

Yeah my one friend got to shoot a 1911, I hear they are amazing and shoot like a dream (though I'm sure .45 ammo pricing is the nightmare)

.40 does have quite a bit more muzzle flip but does come back down to sight picture pretty well. Just a bit intimidating for a  first time shooter. Hell, my lady friend I shoot with from time to time is 4"10 and 100 pounds and can rock a 45 like it's no problem but has a hard time taming .40.

That's interesting, is it the shape of the bullet of the bullet that adds to the snappy recoil??

I've been wanting to start reloading for awhile I just never have.  Maybe once all the gun control hysteria dies off and prices go back down again I might.  So basically once Obama is out of office :rolleyes:

When I get a gun/guns of my own I plan to get into reloading for the experience and the savings (and personal pride)