Gun control

Coors

You may attempt to legislate guns out of existence, but  you will never be able to legislate my right to own one.

How would you own that which does not exist?

Gotcha.

There is no "gotcha" here - because the guns already exist, and they exist by the millions in the hands of millions of law abiding citizens for the most part.

Tjj - What difference does it make where someone can buy a gun?  That's totally irrelevant.  The only thing hurt by the big box stores selling firearms is the small mom and pop shops in the community who rely on their own sales to make a living.  A potential buyer has to go through the same background checks at Walmart or the Acme Gun Shop.

As for the gun show and private sale of firearms - how do you guys propose that you enable a gun show or private owner to run a background check on an individual?  Hell - did you know that you can't even run your OWN background check through the national database?  So in essence you have no idea what information is in there about YOU!  And, if there is an error, how to you go about correcting that error?  It's like every other government run system.  It is chock full of errors and instability.

Using the no-fly list as an example.  While on a business trip two years ago, and attempting to pick up my boarding pass for a return flight home I was flagged as a person of suspicion on the no-fly list.  This was my fourth flight that week and the first time I was "flagged".  It took me over two hours to straighten the mess out with TSA and HLS only to find out it was an "error" in the system, and they wouldn't even explain what the error was to begin with.  I missed my flight, thereby missing my connection in Atlanta and the last flight to my home airport until the next day.

Other things most people don't know about.......  You think the only reasons you can't buy a firearm is if you're a felon, or used a firearm in the commission of a crime previously?  Hell no, go read the laws already on the books that deal with "gun control".  And don't forget to take a peek at the "Brady Bill".  There are literally dozens of laws already on the books that prevent many people from lawful firearm ownership.

If you really ask me what I think...... well lets just say that I think a few too many hill billies have really screwed over the apple cart for everyone. I doubt that even half the people that buy guns these days address these things as lethal in their own heads. So many people treat these things like toys.

Yes it did.  I meant to be "quoting" your text instead of editing it.  Really sorry about that.  You can delete it if you want because truly what is left is kind of out of context.  Your choice.

If you can delete it, that would be great. I could see that being taken the wrong way entirely. 

To respond to your previous message about why no guns at walmart and places like that. I just feel like guns there are kind of a bit too advertising so to speak. I don't want someone to be at walmart picking up milk and saying to themselves, you know what....I think i want me one of them. 

I would much rather have someone walk into a gun store with the clear mind that he/she is going to buy a gun. 

My ultimate goal is that we keep guns out of the hands of stupid people. Not good, bad, or any other type of people other than stupid ones. Would my idea work 100%? HELL NO! I am smart enough to recognize that. But would it somewhat help prevent putting guns in the wrong hands? probably. 

I think my suggestion would curtail the problem. It wouldn't solve it. 

Yes it did.  I meant to be "quoting" your text instead of editing it.  Really sorry about that.  You can delete it if you want because truly what is left is kind of out of context.  Your choice.

If you can delete it, that would be great. I could see that being taken the wrong way entirely. 

To respond to your previous message about why no guns at walmart and places like that. I just feel like guns there are kind of a bit too advertising so to speak. I don't want someone to be at walmart picking up milk and saying to themselves, you know what....I think i want me one of them. 

I would much rather have someone walk into a gun store with the clear mind that he/she is going to buy a gun. 

My ultimate goal is that we keep guns out of the hands of stupid people. Not good, bad, or any other type of people other than stupid ones. Would my idea work 100%? HELL NO! I am smart enough to recognize that. But would it somewhat help prevent putting guns in the wrong hands? probably. 

And why would it be wrong to pick up some milk and eggs then decide you want a new shotgun or varmint gun while walking around in the sporting goods section at Wal mart? Wal mart is selling shot guns and 22's, no pistols or AR-15's. Once you start setting limits you end up on a very slippery slope. 

Furthermore, it is ludicrous to believe that only the criminals will have firearms, considering the police and other government officials such as the FBI and CIA all have firearms. If the argument that "only bad people (AKA criminals) will have firearms" meant that law abiding citizens will have no means of protecting themselves, then it is even more absurd because as illustrated above, most of the time you will either not be able to use the firearm to defend yourself or you could defend yourself through other means.

Because when seconds count, the police are minutes away.

Gun control really isn't about keeping people safe. Gun control is about taking the guns away so that the people can't protect themselves from the government and hold the government accountable.

Penn & Teller explain gun control. Warning, NSFW.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhXOuuHcjbs

Edited by flareback

I agree with the NRA, we need every kid carrying a gun. Think about it, the ones that start the gunfights are usually the ones that will kill more people later when they're older and smarter. When they die in gunfights, the safer we all are in the future.

And why would it be wrong to pick up some milk and eggs then decide you want a new shotgun or varmint gun while walking around in the sporting goods section at Wal mart? Wal mart is selling shot guns and 22's, no pistols or AR-15's. Once you start setting limits you end up on a very slippery slope. 

That is very true. It is hard for me to explain it, but my main issue is that a ton of people just don't respect guns as weapons. When I was in boy scouts years ago, we had a shooting event. The parents started pointing the rifles at each other (screwing around, nothing was a serious intention) and one of the guns went off by accident (issue with the safety) and the bullet went right above the scout masters head and through his cowboy hat.

My comment about the milk and eggs came from them. They were picking up milk when they thought the "needed one of them".

And it is one of those things where if they shot each other I wouldn't cry over it. Both parties were horsing around with lethal weapons. But it could have easily have been me or someone else in the path of that bullet on the other side of the hat. 

So in the end, I would HOPE (maybe that is the best word) that simply trying to minimize the place of purchase of guns might just help to keep them out of the hands of those geniuses out there.  

Furthermore, it is ludicrous to believe that only the criminals will have firearms, considering the police and other government officials such as the FBI and CIA all have firearms. If the argument that "only bad people (AKA criminals) will have firearms" meant that law abiding citizens will have no means of protecting themselves, then it is even more absurd because as illustrated above, most of the time you will either not be able to use the firearm to defend yourself or you could defend yourself through other means.

Because when seconds count, the police are minutes away.

Gun control really isn't about keeping people safe. Gun control is about taking the guns away so that the people can't protect themselves from the government and hold the government accountable.

Penn & Teller explain gun control. Warning, NSFW.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhXOuuHcjbs

Oh... Are you ever so mistaken. Suppose the government became an oppressive one, how many people would take up arms and fight the government in this day in age? Most people are apathetic and will not do anything. So that point about protecting ourselves from the big bad government is moot. Furthermore, even if many of us chose to rebel against the government, would we win against the US military? I think not. Successful rebellions require capture of key structures, key political figures, communication, the assistance of the military, and a few other factors (this was discussed in one of university courses, but I forget all the factors that influenced the outcome). Might I add that we live in a day where we do not need firearms to protect ourselves from the big bad government, take a lesson from the Egyptians in their recent uprising in the Middle East (that is one of many cases in the recent past of civil disobedience). 

It is fine that people love guns, but don't make up these false excuses that it is to protect ourselves when most of the time a criminal will have you by surprise and if he has a firearm you will never be able to use it as he will shoot at you before you even get to pull it out, and if the assailant does not have a firearm then would you need a firearm to protect yourself when you could easily flee or fight back via other means? 

Also, just because the Supreme Court ruled that the second amendment guarantees the right to firearms for the people does not necessarily mean that it is the correct ruling or was the intent of the founding fathers. Remember, our Supreme Court system once ruled that segregation was legal as long as it was equal. *cough* And please do not forget that the justices can and are influenced by others (not so much as other government officials because once they are appointed they are there for life and could vote based on their conscience).

Moreover, if you examine the words and context of the second amendment you will realize that when it addresses who should have the right to bear arms, it states that "a well regulated militia" meaning that these average working men (equating to modern day reserves) who are trained should bear arms. Also, when the founding fathers wrote the second amendment they wrote it with the vision that we would not have a standing army, and now that the militia is pretty much obsolete, what justifies people to have the right to bear arms when it is not for protection?

Edited by PremiumAcc
  • Like 1