Gun control

Coors

See I think a great way to just get around poor gun control is to just reinstate the death penalty in every state and make it so that heinous crimes are escalated right up to death penalty.

Still wouldn't do anything for mass murderers that typically kill themselves anyways.

Yes but at the same time, there is nothing we can really do about those people anyways. The crazies are just things that society can't control. The last time we tried was when we had lobotomies and electroshock therapy and even that didn't do anything. 

Gang members on the other hand might think twice about what they are doing.   

See I think a great way to just get around poor gun control is to just reinstate the death penalty in every state and make it so that heinous crimes are escalated right up to death penalty.

Still wouldn't do anything for mass murderers that typically kill themselves anyways.

With our legal system there'd be a lot of innocent people dying as well.

Mehhhhhhhh. Yes. But I mean there have been innocent people that go to jail and get raped and abused for 20 years and then come out as criminals. 

On one hand you end up killing innocent people, and on the other you sentence them to a very long torture period and then are released as not so innocent people. 

I am not so sure which one is worse. Besides, if you think about it, the more that crime goes down, then fewer people will be convicted which will lower the chance on convicting innocent people all together. So it is kind of like going backwards to go forwards. 

I personally don't like the death penalty from the reference frame of being a human being. On the other hand, you really can't argue with china and japan's crime statistics. 

Yes but at the same time, there is nothing we can really do about those people anyways. The crazies are just things that society can't control. The last time we tried was when we had lobotomies and electroshock therapy and even that didn't do anything. 

I don't agree.  A common theme is that parents or other relatives living with these crazies (often in constant fear) are desperate for help but there is none available.  There is a lot we could be doing regarding mental health care IMO.

Good link.  I don't want to seem callous, but part of the discussion has got to be the reality that mass shootings as a cause of death in the US is an incredibly miniscule number compared to other causes of death.

I personally don't like the death penalty from the reference frame of being a human being. On the other hand, you really can't argue with china and japan's crime statistics.

Sure we can. Do you want to live in China? No? Exactly.

I would like living in Japan though. Ramen noodles every day. :D

• Like 1

That is the most ignorant argument a person can make. First off, china is not this cold war communist country evil country that everyone wants to envision it as. Yes it is communist, but it has gotten a heck of a lot better over the years and is still improving while we get worse. 

I was able to take my giant cannon camera right into Tienanmen Square and take pictures of all the government buildings and everything. Ten years ago you would have had a bullet through your head for that. Freedom of speech is starting to become more and more adopted. We even saw a civil protest there. And guess what guards were there, but they weren't spraying tear gas them like our police men do (granted the people who were protesting were also more polite). 

Living conditions have improved greatly since the Chinese Olympics. Granted there were still some areas that were inhabited by the extremely poor, but they still get food and water supplied by the government. 

Jobs are plentiful. Pay is a lot better than you think after you factor in exchange rate and that there is almost negative inflation in china. For instance, when the news people say, OH MY GOD THOSE POOR PEOPLE GET 2 DOLLARS A DAY!!!! Well really that is 2 us dollars which is actually about 13 Yuan and hour by pure conversion factor, and the average pay is actually about 15 yuan even if you work at a Mc Donalds there in china, the pay is about 14-19 yuan and hour. Our tour guide was paid almost 30 yuan an hour. Stuff in china is almost always cheap. Anything from bottled water/soda all the way up to cars are almost all half the price in US there as they are here. Soooooo in all reality, their entire economy is doing pretty well all things considered. 

According to several locals that I was fortunate enough to sit down with and get their total honesty, the justice system has become a lot more westernized. Police brutality is down to an all time low. Crime is almost non existent compared to how it used to be.  

The MAJOR downside is that the government is kind of broken down into factions that are spread through out china. So the city you are in might be really strict about their rules, and the city next to yours could be more liberal then we are here. The government is changing rapidly and is actually branching out into a representative democracy according to several of china's newer leaders which will soon alleviate that sort of city to city discrepancy. 

Oh and the best part that I think everyone will love. If a government member is caught spending tax money illegally, they are publicly executed on special tv programs. 

Keep in mind that china only got rid of Mao Zedong and his wife in 1976 and a couple more of the what we would consider evil party members a few years later. China has gone from a country of no freedom to a country that is pretty liberal so long as you are respectful within a 50 year span. So give the rest of the world and china in particular some credit, and in fact yes, I would possibly like to move to hong kong. The other side of that island is a lot like a clean version of San Diego. 

Second off, just because you don't want to live there, doesn't mean they don't have some pretty effective policies. Sooooooo idk what to tell you waco other than to travel more before you start judging other countries. 

Reasons not to live in japan. It is expensive as crap, you can't find a job, they are in MORE debt than america is, it is pretty much impossible to find a house half the size of a average american home that costs less than 10 times as much, etc. 

Reasons to go. Best food ever and lots of pretty girls. 

......................yeup! I am moving to Japan. X D

Reasons not to live in japan. It is expensive as crap, you can't find a job, they are in MORE debt than america is, it is pretty much impossible to find a house half the size of a average american home that costs less than 10 times as much, etc. 

I would have to assume a lot of that is a location thing. It makes sense if you're talking a big city like Tokyo. That's pretty much how it is in any country though, if I were to move to Las Vegas or New York, everything becomes three times as expensive, jobs are simply going to be hard to find because that's the way it is in the US right now anyway, housing is the same situation, a house where I live and an identical house in Las Vegas would have huge price differences.

These sort of things are usually city/region based, not by country. Then again... if I were to move to Japan it would probably be Tokyo or some other large city, so your point stands I guess. :lol:

I would have to assume a lot of that is a location thing. It makes sense if you're talking a big city like Tokyo. That's pretty much how it is in any country though, if I were to move to Las Vegas or New York, everything becomes three times as expensive, jobs are simply going to be hard to find because that's the way it is in the US right now anyway, housing is the same situation, a house where I live and an identical house in Las Vegas would have huge price differences.

These sort of things are usually city/region based, not by country. Then again... if I were to move to Japan it would probably be Tokyo or some other large city, so your point stands I guess. :lol:

NOoooooooooooooooooooo. Keep in mind japan is pretty small and there are a heck of a lot of people living there. Essentially all of japan is one great big new york. It isn't until you start moving out to all the different islands where you might be able to get a pretty stable western style economy. 

Even a hill billy shack is still pretty darn expensive. Heck just the other day I found a place in hiroshima for like 300K and the property description had a a picture of a gigometer that said the level of radiation was safe. I don't know about you, but close to zero is the type of radiation I want to be living in for 300K. 

http://www.realestate.co.jp/rej/forsale/view/127620/3LDK-House-in-Abuta-gun-Kutchan-cho-Hokkaido/lang/en/prefecture/hokkaido

This place is reasonable, but it is in the hokkaido prefecture which was hit be the tsunami, so property value is still going to be pretty low. 

Oh, sometimes you can find cheap beach property because the beach was ransacked by a crap ton of jelly fish.

I have spent years looking at property in japan. The best time to buy is right after a natural disaster is all I have to say.  

Still, the food is always great,