Club Windows 8

wevsspot

Stardock profiting to make Win8 look like Win7 :pfp: (and people paying for it!) what is this world coming to...

I don't see how this is a bad thing. People wanted their start menu back, so they brought it back. Not only did they bring it back, they made it match the rest of the theme of windows 8. And if you want the Metro UI and Start Menu, you can combine them. Sounds like a pretty good deal to me for 5 bucks.

Is the metro UI simply a shortcut menu? The only reason I had interest in the Metro UI was the simple interface would be nice for a tv connected PC. I haven't bothered with Win8 yet but figured it might be worth using a technet subscription to try it among some other stuff. I thought the whole Metro hoopla was because Microsoft said that the all the spiffy (I assume there has to be something desireable about it) functions that you get with the Metro UI/API was essentially members only for programmers/developers.

I really hoped there might be some kind of awesome sauce in Win8 like a reworked network system or thread management in it's scheduleing that improved program performance without requiring code to be re-optimized, but I haven't heard anything besides it's pretty much the same as Win7 when you ignore the Metro part.

I would say that there is a performance increase in Windows 8 from what I've seen. It has nothing to do with the horrendous Metro UI, though. I've noticed that my RAM Usage is down to about 1GB out of 12GB, when in 7 I was using about 2-2.5GB out of 12GB on a fresh install. Shutdown/Startup is snappier. The new Task manager has a wealth of information that's much easer to access and better looking.

Also, more to your original question, the Tiles can be live updating/interactive, and I imagine there are more features that I'm not aware of since I don't use them.

The list goes on.

EDIT: On a seperate note...

Honestly, the gripes with Win 8 are ridiculous and misinformed. And this is coming from someone who was firmly against Windows 8. Now that I've had a chance to use it and tweak it to my liking, it's perfect.

And if I'm not mistaken, OCC is a community full of people who like to tweak their computers. The same applies to Win 8.

Edited by Nephilumos

Using a 3rd party software completely integrated to windows explorer isn't that good in terms of security, right? :dunno:

Yup, it means it any business who thinks about using Win8 would have to disable apps altogether. Many of these apps "call home" fairly frequently. Not only that and this I may need to research further but it looks like it will all pretty much require an internet connection. I was told you lose functionality in Microsoft Office if you unplug from the internet. I dunno if I believe that one. If that is true that would be a HUGE turn off in the business world. Also it looks like it ties your Office password with your account password so if someone can send a trojan to hack your e-mail password they could theoritically also lock you out of your machine. Be a fun joke to play on your meathead buddies if true. :lol:

Stardock profiting to make Win8 look like Win7 :pfp: (and people paying for it!) what is this world coming to...

I didn't think of the paying part but that's true. What made me laugh is all the screenshots show it looking like a Windows '98 start menu with a Win7 task bar so it looks like Old Meets New. I never understood the "Classic" style option (even in Win7). You would think they could bring back the same exact functionality and keep the theme of the new O/S. Looks really out of place to me.

And if you want the Metro UI and Start Menu, you can combine them.

Would it be too much trouble to ask you to post a screenshot of this?

I've noticed that my RAM Usage is down to about 1GB out of 12GB, when in 7 I was using about 2-2.5GB out of 12GB on a fresh install.

That sounds like programs you have running in the background. I don't even break 2GB with a game running, 2 temp monitoring programs, Steam and 1 or 2 other miscellaneous programs. I will break it if I have my Video Rendering software up. Only Windows lighter than 7 I've seen so far is XP ...though I haven't touched Win8 yet. I typically start up at 700 some MB.

I have been using it for a few days now, its ok for some things, others I find it to much like a phone.

I will be sticking with Win 7 for a while I think for primary systems.

Yup, it means it any business who thinks about using Win8 would have to disable apps altogether. Many of these apps "call home" fairly frequently. Not only that and this I may need to research further but it looks like it will all pretty much require an internet connection. I was told you lose functionality in Microsoft Office if you unplug from the internet. I dunno if I believe that one. If that is true that would be a HUGE turn off in the business world. Also it looks like it ties your Office password with your account password so if someone can send a trojan to hack your e-mail password they could theoritically also lock you out of your machine. Be a fun joke to play on your meathead buddies if true. :lol:

The quote you replied to here was talking specifically about the 3rd party start button software and its integration with Explorer. I've already checked Start8's "Phone Home" functionality, and it's only phoning home with the version of your software. This is an update check. Nothing more. I can't speak for the other programs, however.

I would have to agree with you that linking your machine profile with your live account seems like a blatant security flaw. However, in most cases, the "hacker" wouldn't have access to the machine unless it had some sort of remote access enabled, in this case specifically, RDP.

To expand on this, you aren't required to link your computer to a Live account. You are able to make a local profile.

That sounds like programs you have running in the background. I don't even break 2GB with a game running, 2 temp monitoring programs, Steam and 1 or 2 other miscellaneous programs. I will break it if I have my Video Rendering software up. Only Windows lighter than 7 I've seen so far is XP ...though I haven't touched Win8 yet. I typically start up at 700 some MB.

As stated in the quote, Windows 7 on a fresh install. I've noticed that the more RAM you've got, the more Windows (7 or 8) will happily eat up. This is, of course, most likely for caching of programs/etc so they load faster.

Would it be too much trouble to ask you to post a screenshot of this?

More than happy to:

You can scroll through the list with the mouse wheel as you would in full screen Metro.

qKK0P.png

And here's what my desktop looks like using the non-metro integration:

8RLlD.png

Edited by Nephilumos

Actually, metro integration doesn't look so bad...still think M/S should have stuck with the start menu with the metro theme rather than having a desktop and a launch screen :P

+1, I may have actually decided to use it had they done that. But, since they didn't, and the familiar windows 7-esque theme is available elsewhere, that's what I'm sticking with. :cheers:

To those of you who are using windows 8: I am getting close to needing to formatting my PC, and I hopefully will be getting some new SSDs by black friday. I am thinking about picking up a license of windows 8 and I am wondering if it is worth it. I learned that I can get windows 7 for 15 bucks for a full license (some of you may know why I am making a point of mentioning windows 7) and a full license of windows 8 for 20 bucks through our college.

Is it worth upgrading to windows 8? Do you like it? Would you rather have stuck with windows 7? I am simply interested in getting your opinions as techies instead of the thousands of personal opinions on the web.

I don't see how this is a bad thing. People wanted their start menu back, so they brought it back. Not only did they bring it back, they made it match the rest of the theme of windows 8. And if you want the Metro UI and Start Menu, you can combine them. Sounds like a pretty good deal to me for 5 bucks.

Yeah but then I'm just spending money to have something new to be the same way as something I already have, when I could just wait for a new Service Pack that may trickle down some of the more efficient core coding that makes Win8 perform that little bit better than Win 7 (like how later Service Packs of Vista made it near indistinguishable in performance and most form from 7).

Edited by IVIYTH0S

Yeah but then I'm just spending money to have something new to be the same way as something I already have, when I could just wait for a new Service Pack that may trickle down some of the more efficient core coding that makes Win8 perform that little bit better than Win 7 (like how later Service Packs of Vista made it near indistinguishable in performance and most form from 7).

I don't know about you, but 5 dollars isn't exactly a large sum of money to me. Also, you make it sound as though windows 8 is sluggish and bad performance wise.

In my hands on experience over the past month, I would never go back to 7. Its better overall. Do you even have Windows 8? Have you spent more than a day with it?

From all of what you're saying, I doubt you have.

I don't know about you, but 5 dollars isn't exactly a large sum of money to me. Also, you make it sound as though windows 8 is sluggish and bad performance wise.

In my hands on experience over the past month, I would never go back to 7. Its better overall. Do you even have Windows 8? Have you spent more than a day with it?

From all of what you're saying, I doubt you have.

I was agreeing that Win8 is a faster and more efficiently coded breed of Win7...I'm just saying Vista got a bump to pretty much Win7 standard quality with the Service Packs that were released after Win7 came out. I expect something similar to happen to Win7, in which it will have a big update that will improve the coding closely to that of Win8, for free. You know what I'm saying??

And $5 is a more significant chunk when $40 (12.5% of the purchase price) is all it costs to get Win Pro (or $15 if anyone got in on that upgrade promotion, making the Start8 purchase cost 33% of the price of that copy). The point is, no matter how big or small, why should we be spending money to gain something we already have (the Start menu, standard Win7 experience). The money spent ON Win8 isn't what I'm complaining about but rather paying anyone, 1st party or 3rd party, for something I/we already have.

IVI - I have on pretty good authority that there will not be any more service packs released for Windows 7 if that is what you are referring to. From here on out W7 will get incremental updates, security patches etc. but there will not be another SP rollup / rollout.

I was agreeing that Win8 is a faster and more efficiently coded breed of Win7...I'm just saying Vista got a bump to pretty much Win7 standard quality with the Service Packs that were released after Win7 came out. I expect something similar to happen to Win7, in which it will have a big update that will improve the coding closely to that of Win8, for free. You know what I'm saying??

And $5 is a more significant chunk when $40 (12.5% of the purchase price) is all it costs to get Win Pro (or $15 if anyone got in on that upgrade promotion, making the Start8 purchase cost 33% of the price of that copy). The point is, no matter how big or small, why should we be spending money to gain something we already have (the Start menu, standard Win7 experience). The money spent ON Win8 isn't what I'm complaining about but rather paying anyone, 1st party or 3rd party, for something I/we already have.

Yeah...I completely misread one line so it changed the tone of your post I was replying to completely different...my bad!

I see no real reason to upgrade other than for the fun of it. What you said is true. That being said I still enjoy win8 over win7.

But in regards to price, I guess that doesn't really bother me too much. I got win8 for free, so meh.