wevsspot

Club Windows 8

I had a memory crash this morning, prolly due to these gskill pis"s being barely stable anyways, but everything else is basically ok...I went ahead and did a total clean install too just to start with a clean slate...back to win 8 specs...

Played StarCraft, BF3 and Skyrim and all is well. Nothing to complain about. Logitech replied to me and said the latest win 7 drivers they have up work in windows 8. I will mess with that tomorrow.

You make it sound like it's a bad thing, lol. It's really a great piece of software. Especially considering how badly Microsoft wanted to keep the start menu off of Windows 8.

Using a 3rd party software completely integrated to windows explorer isn't that good in terms of security, right? :dunno:

Posted in the wrong thread, ignore me! doh.gif

Edited by suchuwato

Using a 3rd party software completely integrated to windows explorer isn't that good in terms of security, right? :dunno:

I can't vouch for anything other than Stardocks' products, but I used them on many a XP build without any problems, security related or otherwise. If I had one complaint is that some of their early transformation packs were hard to remove without messing up the shell and context menu. That often ended up in a re-install if I wanted to revert everything back to 100% XP stock.

Another option for a start menu is to look at the program Pokki. This seems an interesting solution that tries to give the best of both worlds.

^^ Interesting solution.

In my opinion, the best thing microsoft can do is to come up with a switchable option. That will please both PC & touch screen users.

Please, do elaborate. From what I've found, the only communications Start8 sends out are simple requests to a repository owned by Stardock to check for version udpates, assuming you even have check for updates enabled. There is no other information sent. Hooray, WireShark.

^^ Interesting solution.

In my opinion, the best thing microsoft can do is to come up with a switchable option. That will please both PC & touch screen users.

Microsoft has already said they won't be doing that. There have been 4 million copies of Windows 8 sold already. I doubt that's much motivation to actually bring it back.

Edited by Nephilumos

The statistic you are quoting is 4 million upgrades. Microsoft has also sold a great number of business licenses aswell, so it is likely to greatly exceed 4 million

The statistic you are quoting is 4 million upgrades. Microsoft has also sold a great number of business licenses aswell, so it is likely to greatly exceed 4 million

Either way, the argument remains the same. Market wise thus far, Windows 8 isn't doing poorly.

I'm finally interested in Windows 8 out of practicality. I'm thinking I might drop my money into getting Technet subscription for some damn keys because my Win7 OEM discs elude me.

Driving this need for keys, I've got minipc I'm about to hand off as an HTPC to the boss while she does her school stuff in another city, and she one of those who only wants electronics to 'Just work'. So I'm considering either throwing Win8 on there and/or XBMC ubuntu and hope one of them works out.

Anyone know how well the Win8 is working as an HTPC? I read it doesn't include players/codecs, but couple downloads should fix all that. Any suggestions are welcome, so thank you.

I'm finally interested in Windows 8 out of practicality. I'm thinking I might drop my money into getting Technet subscription for some damn keys because my Win7 OEM discs elude me.

Driving this need for keys, I've got minipc I'm about to hand off as an HTPC to the boss while she does her school stuff in another city, and she one of those who only wants electronics to 'Just work'. So I'm considering either throwing Win8 on there and/or XBMC ubuntu and hope one of them works out.

Anyone know how well the Win8 is working as an HTPC? I read it doesn't include players/codecs, but couple downloads should fix all that. Any suggestions are welcome, so thank you.

I haven't put it on my HTPC yet but VLC player should take care of any issues with codecs and what not.

I haven't put it on my HTPC yet but VLC player should take care of any issues with codecs and what not.

+1 to this or Media Player Classic.