Club Windows 8

wevsspot

not that it matters that much these days, but I don't see my gamer booting faster than win 7, maybe even a bit slower...

what methods did you use to determine a performance increase nephilumos ?

I took a stopwatch and compared from press of power button to Desktop. And with all the Metro junk disabled, everything else just feels snappier/smoother.

The fact that Microsoft Support had limited hours made me doubt how dedicated they are for the of support for this product.

My advice is to stick it out for two weeks and then decide. But also to tweak it as needed. This has been easier than I had anticipated.

yea, I'm surprised your calls weren't automatically shunted to India or the Philippines...

...as for me, after using w8 for a few days i'm beginning to see a spiffier w7 complete with some neato additions,...it all seems to work fine, some stuff is better, faster, but all in all it feels a little bit gaudy and to much for my liking...i suppose after i get it tweaked to my liking it'll be more like w7 again...i can see why this would be better for tablets, phones and lappies, etc...it's sure alot easier to buy stuff in win8

I took a stopwatch and compared from press of power button to Desktop. And with all the Metro junk disabled, everything else just feels snappier/smoother.

i'll give that a try, first with the metro and then without,...wish i had done a w7 time to compare it to,....oh well

Tested in vmware using 1,2,3,4 cores of the processor.

Till 2 core, it is pretty fast, but with 1 core of 2700K, it is slow. I think, windows 8 isn't meant for single core processor, even if its computation efficiency is as good as 2700k.

Ok, wtf Microsoft. I got Windows 8 working (I had my Hauppage Colossus connected to my graphics card, which is why I couldn't see anything).

Now that I'm in Windows 8, I selected something, couldn't get out of it, pressed Ctrl+Alt+Delete and now I'm on the desktop. How the hell do I go back to the Metro UI?

Nm, figured it out. Instructional videos ftw... but not being intuitive ftl.

Edited by El_Capitan

Ok, wtf Microsoft. I got Windows 8 working (I had my Hauppage Colossus connected to my graphics card, which is why I couldn't see anything).

Now that I'm in Windows 8, I selected something, couldn't get out of it, pressed Ctrl+Alt+Delete and now I'm on the desktop. How the hell do I go back to the Metro UI?

should just be able to mouse down to the lower left corner of the screen and the metro ui will rise up under your cursor...or mouse to the top right and the system tools (including the start screen) will pop out

Ok, so, how do I shut down or reboot without having to use the Task Manager?

just mouse to the lower or upper right corner and when the system works tools slides out, then mouse to the settings icon, click on it then slide down to power icon ...presto...kinda fun sorta !

kwik edit: it takes a lil gettin used to...

Put your mouse at the top of the screen, when it switches to a hand, hold down the mouse button and drag down to close an app.

wow, hey ed, that's a new one,...thanx for that !

I've been meaning to jump to Windows 8...but every time I install drivers, I get Blue Screens of Death randomly.

It's frustrating....I get system_thread_exceptions every time. Don't know what the culprit is.

I hear ya. I been playing around a fresh install of Windows 8, but went back to try upgrading from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 8 Pro (kept failing when I tried it before). I'm not going to do a clean install of Windows 8 then install the 62+ apps I use daily/weekly and then reconfigure everything just the way I like it (takes about 10 attentive hours). It's why I create backup images... I just hope Acronis Home True Image works with Windows 8.

Also, moving the mouse cursor to the top right and bottom left on a 2560 x 1600 monitor is kind of annoying. Can't imagine what happens in dual screen.

Edited by El_Capitan