How many people are getting Windows 8?

MJCRO

101 members have voted

1. 1. Are you getting Windows 8?

I am even as we speak currently making use of Windows 8 and find it actually much snappier than Windows 7. As for the interface being hard to find things, you just need to take the time to tweak it. I might add you need to do the same thing in 7. Here is a screen shot of my current start screen for Windows 8.

Base%20Screen.jpg

So you're basing this all on what? 5 minutes of use? :mfp

FYI good sir, I never said Win8 was bad I just have yet to see any reason to get it over what I have now. I never said it was bad on any account, and do plan on maybe throwing a virtual install of a 30 day evaluation copy or something to be super fair but I doubt I will be using it any time soon as a primary OS.

The core improvements are really hard to see. I do really like the new file management screens, the copy file system is really nice. The system does boot and power down quicker and there is a general snappier feel to the system. There are a LOT of good core updates that have been done, would be nice to them appear in a service pack for Windows 7, I think they could. If you do not like the Metro interface you can always go back to the desktop style and still get the underlying code improvements. I am disappointed that MS did not include this for free with the system, the Start8 program from Stardock is the one that seems to work best.As far as the "apps" are concerned, some I like and others leave me very dry. The total system takeover of an app really turns me off. One of the cool features of a PC is that we can do three or 4 things at once and have it all on the screen, the apps dismiss that option. The "hate" for Windows 8 is misplaced in my opinion. The core is very stable, solid and FAST! The improvements are nice but get hidden by the Metro interface. If you ignore it and run from pure desktop you are in essence getting a Windows 7.5 and for the low cost right now it is a good deal. Is it a must have, NO. However there is no real reason to hate the OS.

FYI good sir, I never said Win8 was bad I just have yet to see any reason to get it over what I have now. I never said it was bad on any account, and do plan on maybe throwing a virtual install of a 30 day evaluation copy or something to be super fair but I doubt I will be using it any time soon as a primary OS.

Each to their own but that reply wasn't aimed at you :)

I recently bought a windows 7 laptop and am eligible for a $15 windows 8 upgraded. If I don't like it, can I just roll back to 7? Or am I stuck with 8?

There's an OEM Win7 Key under the laptop, you should be fine. Most laptop manufacturers usually have a recovery partition which will enable you to reset it to factory state if you leave that partition intact when trying Win8.

Also if you're a uni student you can get it for free from DreamSpark.

Here is a benchmark review of w7 and w8, don't look any snapier to me, will probably try it in a vm one of these days, maybe.

http://www.bit-tech....ce-benchmarks/1

Benchmarks don't always represent what you actually get from real use. From my use of Win8 (nearly 3 months) it definitely is a lot faster than Win7 in many key areas.

I also like the Modern UI (previously metro) and my only problem with it is that by default when searching it searches files and not applications.

But after setting it up to how you like it (as with any other OS) then its all bliss from there.