MJCRO

How many people are getting Windows 8?

101 members have voted

1. 1. Are you getting Windows 8?

So it looks like everyone is trying it out.

I've downloaded, but yet to install in vmware.

So it looks like everyone is trying it out.

I've downloaded, but yet to install in vmware.

of course i'm new to this os, but i could swear a i saw a microsoft vmware app somewhere in here yesterday... so hmm

of course i'm new to this os, but i could swear a i saw a microsoft vmware app somewhere in here yesterday... so hmm

I think its called Windows Virtual PC, I prefer Oracle's Virtual Box though when mingling with virtual machines.

I'm surprised this is out already, I've been so far behind tech news, I was driving past a Staples the other day and they have big banners saying 'Windows 8 is here!'.

:pfp:

I for one am really pleased to finally see some visibility and discussion of the new operating system beyond - Windows 8 sucks, or why would I change. I've opened up a Club Windows 8 thread so anyone with input or who wants to discuss the new OS - please feel free to drop in there and read everything that is going on.

I think its called Windows Virtual PC, I prefer Oracle's Virtual Box though when mingling with virtual machines.

IMO, Windows virtual PC sucks.

I've opened up a Club Windows 8 thread so anyone with input or who wants to discuss the new OS - please feel free to drop in there and read everything that is going on.

Gonna install it tonight, if I get some time or tomorrow. Will share experience after that.

Edited by d6bmg

IMO, Windows virtual PC sucks.

I haven't really tried it so I'll reserve my judgement but I wouldn't be too surprised if it did sucked balls or lacked in features.

I haven't really tried it so I'll reserve my judgement but I wouldn't be too surprised if it did sucked balls or lacked in features.

hehe,...oh cmon now, we said the same thing 'bout win 8 and so far it isn't turning out to be so bad... : )

hehe,...oh cmon now, we said the same thing 'bout win 8 and so far it isn't turning out to be so bad... : )

lol, I'll give it a shot if the chance arises but ill reserve judgement for now ;p

1) Windows PowerShell is pretty damn good and is based on the .NET framework, which gives you a lot more control/tools than the original Windows command line.

2) Anything running (e.g. mods) will have some impact on performance. Vista and Win7 offered "widgets" (or whatever) that were rarely used. You can use rain meter and other mods in Windows 8.

3) How would this work? Move your mouse to a certain part of the desktop and launch an app? I could see that getting real annoying, real fast. I prefer some kind of user action (i.e. click).

4) I'm not a fan of the tiles and all of the wasted space. I applaud MS for attempting something new, but I don't think this is "the future." Customization would be nice.

5) I've not used anything besides blank screen, clock, or mystify. TBH, I couldn't care less what MS throws in.

6) I hated the redesign of the control panel in Win7 (Vista?)... I understand MS had a desire to simpilify it for users, but as a support person my first question is "does it say 'category'?". I cannot remember the last time I actually went to device manager.

2. Anytime I play with Windows infastructure, even in 7, it bites me. It is not built to support not only that kind of behavior or that level of modding. UNIX is so efficient, not just in terms of system resource usage but also how quickly you can accomplish mundane tasks at your whim and everytime you log in. Even with scripting, everything is just a much bigger PitA with Windows. If they took the biggest pro of UNIX/Linux then they really wouldn't have much in the way of competition.

3. Yes exactly, because the way Windows codes their operation system. You can mod your UNIX profile to have snow falling down constanly accumulating on your desktop with things flying around non-stop with minimal impact to performance and its something students do bored while in the computer lab. That is true modding. Windows still can't hang.

4. I prefer a clean look on my desktop. You don't see a single shortcut on my desktop. Though I would still like the functionality, so if you could make the shortcut "invisible" so to be speak you could have both. So yes, it would require a click. Of course while I'm making a wish list I would like to have the option that you can make the hotspot have a faint outline glow (or not) when you mouse over it.

5. I personally hate the tile ecosystem, but if I was to see it I could see it in the start menu before seeing it on my desktop.

6. Same with most people though for most it is simply because it is so lame the blank screen is the best for most. Mystify is the only good screen saver.

7. Exactly why I think it needs to be fixed. It's current format is retarded. I use device manager only if I suspect a faulty driver.

I wont be switching to it, but for those that are there are some Pros.

Win8 is more efficient at handling Hardware then Win7 even despite all thej overlay. Meaning if you use 4+ core Cpus, Win8 will be more efficient to utilize those cores as well as faster memory modules ect ect. Ive only used Win8 for about a month on VirtualBox, I run Debain 6 as my main OS and VM everything else. In my case VirtualBox is better for the hardware acceleration that I will need because I use a Win7 VM for gaming over VMware.

I dont know if one exists  but if they could release a mod/patch that gets rid of the Metro and all that fluff overlay and gives it a Win7 look/feel/interface then it might be worth using for all my other builds. Just on the fact that Win8 is far more efficient with hardware then Win7. A good friend of mine switched over from Win7 Ultimate to Win8 Pro and he reported about a 15% gain in overall system performance when he switched, but swtiched back due to his system mainly being used for editing/encoding and with Win8 you have to jump through unneeded amount of hoops to do basic tasks which in return waste time. After what users have told me and my own experience with it on a VM, I've come to the conclusion that Win8 is best suited for people that are average when it comes to PCs and love the flash and fluff that theyve come accumsomted to with thier smartphones. Win8 is not for Power Users/Productivity Users

still at the point where im still lazy to up for win 8. the reviews are tied up though. win 8 favors tablets and laptops, desktop reviews are different. still confuse if its worth an up from win 7 to 8?