What is Apple's issue?

**Keep in mind that $2 an hour is a highly desirable wage there.. But still not enough to keep employees from attempting mass suicide over working for Apple. Also google further on the subject, you'll find a lot more who actually jumped.

Just FYI, Foxconn's employee suicide rate is lower than China's overall suicide rate. So that point is kinda moot

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just FYI, Foxconn's employee suicide rate is lower than China's overall suicide rate. So that point is kinda moot

+1

and the living conditions they provide for workers is much better than the average citizen in china with workers getting their own rooms, full ammenties meals, gyms etc to use.

+1

and the living conditions they provide for workers is much better than the average citizen in china with workers getting their own rooms, full ammenties meals, gyms etc to use.

That's what pisses me off though...if they are ALSO outsourcing to cheap Chinese labor, why are their products STILL overpriced when at least everyone else who does it, shares the wealth (aka has reasonable prices)

That's what pisses me off though...if they are ALSO outsourcing to cheap Chinese labor, why are their products STILL overpriced when at least everyone else who does it, shares the wealth (aka has reasonable prices)

So true. +1

So true. +1

I did hear the new Apple CEO wanted/wants to bring iPhone manufacturing to America which would actually be pretty awesome. I think they said labor alone would raise the price about $25 a phone (that's not including American workers needing health insurance and other stuff) but if they were truly looking to "do right" they would cut down their profit margins, make the price the same as it is now.....or as close as they can to it but have the pride of being truly American. I could really dig them for bringing some jobs home and having an American company investing in American labor. Samsung and other companies, it wouldn't make as much sense because they're already foreign at the core but I feel as though Apple could still have little to no dent in their future iPhone demographic (apple fans are gonna buy no matter what they cost) and then they might pick up some cut-throat patriot techies in the process. (and if they didn't raise the price which, I know they will, I'd finally see SOME reasoning for them to charge more then the competitors)

Apple is trying to "Sue the big players" out of the game.

It's easier than innovating, and lets face it without Steve Jobs Apple has no innovation. For god's sake he had to leave them a 5 year road map becuase he KNEW the mess they would be in.

To add to your point: The devices are made by hand. Not by an assembly line of machines. Reduces production costs even further.

And @ComputerEd's last post:

Not trying to argue, I'm legitimately asking this: What did Steve Jobs innovate? He was a marketing genius, but I can't think of a single technological innovation he's come up with (Except of course the first GUI, but that doesn't affect current markets at all.) I hear a lot of people near-worshiping him (not counting you in this, I know you just made a simple statement), but I don't see that he's invented anything, coded anything, or even ordered the creation of a unique/new idea.

All he does is buy ideas from others and sue their pants off later to protect his newly bought "innovation." His proficiency was in marketing the old ideas as attractive and new. Or am I missing something he's actually created?

Edited by dragonsdontfly

A lesser evil is still an evil. We're talking an American corporation outsourcing. Not a Chinese corporation natively based in China. Just because it's legal and not worse than China's local norm makes it okay?

The difference is labor laws. Consider the arsenic incident in dog food, the sweat shops, and the lack of control and restriction. The entire reason for outsourcing to China is cheap labor and the lack of accountability for poor work conditions. So you're saying that because they intentionally produce these working conditions because of a known "loophole", that it's perfectly fine and nothing is morally wrong with it.

I hope you see my point. Here's an analogy to help convey it:

It's comparable to knowing someone on your property is unaware that it's private property (they entered through an area without visible signage or similar)- but you shoot them in the head just because it's legal. When you were perfectly capable of merely informing them that it's private property, you instead used the legal privilege you have to murder them, and intentionally aim for the head instead of even just a limb. And that is perfectly moral, simply because it's legal.

This is a giant loophole in morality and reasoning.

Edited by dragonsdontfly

Apple isn't the only company to outsource from the US. So it's not reasonable to single them out in that aspect. The fact that China is a lot more screwed up than us morally is an entirely separate issue. And honestly it's not our responsibility to try and fix it. It's not our responsibility to try and fix their labor wages.

And people talking about using US labor instead of outsourcing...what effect do you think that would have on the Chinese people? Does taking away their jobs help them? "Buying American" is silly imo. I'll buy whatever is the better product for the better price whether it is American made or not. Thats what ccapitalism is all about. Bad companies will fail and good companies will succeed.

http://www.creators.com/opinion/john-stossel/the-stupidity-of-quot-buy-american-quot.html