Overclocking I7 3930K

please stop..... That is not nice.

well it give you hope if you think about it. quad gets you 160 fps on unigen with extreme settings, stands to reason dual gives you 80 which is still 40 fps if you play 3D :D

Sound better that way?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tri-SLI on GTX 680's are bad, not to mention Quad. They only look good on Unigine, too. If Quad 7970's were even 60% efficient, they'd be giving 174 FPS using the same settings.

How do you choose PCIE 2.0 over PCIE 3.0 on the same board and CPU?

3960X @ 5.0 GHz (temp slow speed)

Asus Rampage IV Extreme with PCI-E slots running 16x/8x/8x/8x

(4) EVGA GTX 680's running 1191MHz core, 3402 MHz Memory

nVidia Driver 301.10 with PCI-E 3.0 registry adjustment turned on and off for each applicable tes

GPU-Z 0.6.0

And looky here

Edit: I am definitely going ivy with my sli set up later this year because it certainly looks like the tri screen gaming is going to need the extra bandwidth to get the most out of the cards.

Edited by Stonerboy779

Just stumbled across this....

PCI-ETests.jpg

...turns out pci-e 3.0 can be useful.

that is unsurprising, considering 8x pcie 2 is only 4x pcie 3, so its understandable for that drop with three out of four flagship cards on x4 bandwith

Edited by Muchoman1

that is unsurprising, considering 8x pcie 3 is only 4x pcie 2, so its understandable for that drop with three out of four flagship cards on x4 bandwith

You do realize that the 8x is the no of lanes, so 8x 2.0 and 8x 3.0 still have the same lanes (not bandwidth tho, that is different). It's not like going from 8x 3.0 to 2.0 magically cuts lanes off the mobo.

You do realize that the 8x is the no of lanes, so 8x 2.0 and 8x 3.0 still have the same lanes (not bandwidth tho, that is different). It's not like going from 8x 3.0 to 2.0 magically cuts lanes off the mobo.

Yes i know, im talking about the bandwith of a x4 and x8 slot, not number of lanes

Yes i know, im talking about the bandwith of a x4 and x8 slot, not number of lanes

So when it is set to pci 2.0 it has the bandwidth of a pci-e 8x 2.0 slot....

Not the bandwidth of a 4x slot because it is an 8x slot still, that hasn't changed.

You said it had a bandwidth of pci-e 4x 2.0 which isn't the case. Understand what I am saying?

considering 8x pcie 3 is only 4x pcie 2

So where did 4 physical connections disappear to?

Do correct me if i am wrong.

How do you choose PCIE 2.0 over PCIE 3.0 on the same board and CPU?

On my Ivy & Z77 board, there is a BIOS setting to switch between PCIE Gen 2 or Gen 3.