Overclocking I7 3930K

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What makes you say that Capi?

There's too many variables to attribute it to just CPU voltages.

1. It could be temperatures. Most people that overclock at high voltages 24/7 don't have the proper cooling. I've had my i7 2600K's and i7 2700K's at 1.42 - 1.45V's 24/7 for months with no degradation. Mostly due to their core temps not exceeding 73C during load for the highest core.

2. It could be the motherboard parts degrading, and not the CPU.

3. It could be the issue with installing or re-installing the CPU on the same or different motherboard. I moved my very low voltage i7 2600K to another systems that was pretty much exactly the same aside from the cooling ability, and it didn't overclock as well. I moved it back to the original system, and it wouldn't overclock as well with the same low voltages, either.

4. It could be the issue with more memory or higher memory speeds. Use 2x2GB at 1600Mhz and then use 4x4GB at 1866MHz, you'll find that you'll need to increase your CPU voltage.

I'm not saying 100% that degradation doesn't occur, but that it's due to CPU voltages... not likely.

1. It could be temperatures. Most people that overclock at high voltages 24/7 don't have the proper cooling. I've had my i7 2600K's and i7 2700K's at 1.42 - 1.45V's 24/7 for months with no degradation. Mostly due to their core temps not exceeding 73C during load for the highest core.

3. It could be the issue with installing or re-installing the CPU on the same or different motherboard. I moved my very low voltage i7 2600K to another systems that was pretty much exactly the same aside from the cooling ability, and it didn't overclock as well. I moved it back to the original system, and it wouldn't overclock as well with the same low voltages, either.

4. It could be the issue with more memory or higher memory speeds. Use 2x2GB at 1600Mhz and then use 4x4GB at 1866MHz, you'll find that you'll need to increase your CPU voltage.

I'm not saying 100% that degradation doesn't occur, but that it's due to CPU voltages... not likely.

2600K's are babies compared to 3930K's. The temps/voltages on SB-E are much higher than SB and it is to be expected and this adds to degradation because unlike 2600k's you use over 1.5V for 5GHz on a six core- try running that 24/7 lol. On full WC Im getting temps in the low-mid 60s (Winter) for 4.6Ghz at 1.35V. 4.8GHz and 5GHz is mid or even high 70s.

Probably because they're a pain in the a** to keep cool, you'll find that out. Really need some die shrinks, thought 22nm would be great but it seems it might even get hotter if they bring out a IB-E lol And 4x4Gb 2133mhz isn't helping its OC ability :P

Yeah, I was always under the impression that the CPUs don't degrade, but rather they fail and start giving random errors if they have heat/stress damage anywhere. It seems to me that with hardware, it's either an all or none phenomenon :dunno:

Good insight though, thanks :)

Really need some die shrinks, thought 22nm would be great but it seems it might even get hotter if they bring out a IB-E lol

I say bring on the larger dies. Double the size and maybe double the cores. I'd be alright with a 12-core cpu at 4+ghz :evilgrin: In the enthusiast desktop market, the die size really doesn't matter unless you aren't able to tame the heat it generates (aka get watercooling).