Boinker

Overclocking I7 3930K

Well I could not resist the temptation so I Started overclocking my system on air slowly last weekend and I have so far been able to manage 4.20Ghz stable. :D

Have not really encountered any ground breaking issues and the system really runs nicely on the stable oc it has. Been using the intel stress testing utility to perform tests and the cpu and memory are operating GREAT. :D yehaw.

Just to justify the post a few people have been wondering what is going down with it sense the CNPS9900max bulletin was relaese. Thank god it still functions. :D

System specs

HAF 932 with 1 200mm fan up front, 4 120's top and rear exhaust and 1 120 bottom intake. all around 1000 RPM's

Prolimatech Megahalems, with scythe 1200 rpm Kaze PWN 120-25

Intel Core I7 3930k

intel DX79SI motherboard

Mushkin DDR3 1600 9-9-9-24 @ 1.50v

x2 Nvidia GTX480's on air

x2 500 gig data Drives

Mushkin Chronos 120 gig SSD SATA III

1 CD optical and a Hard drive hot swap bay.

Coolermaster Silent pro gold 1200 Watt PSU

Screen shot.

4.20 Ghz stable.PNG

4.2GHZ ain't bad on air. When does your watercooling stuff get in?

When i cant getany further on air. :D I want to see what this thing can do under near silent air cooling. ;)

That's all the 9900max will handle? That's a little surprising. My friend with a 3930k has a Zalman 12x but hasn't overclocked it yet. I wonder how high of an OC he'll be able to get out of that cooler :dunno:

Im no where near done yet. And that is a prolimatech megahalems rev 1. Im only up to 65c right now so as long as i dont have voltage spikes i should get some more mhz before heat becomes an issue. I think maybe mid 4ghz but not to sure where it will max out on air.

Ah yes, I was hoping you would be able to hit ~4.5ghz with that hardware. Looking forward to seeing the end results :popcorn:

Well I may be at the end of my rope here. Cant seem to find out why my temps are ok Yet the CPU is throttling down during a stability test.

Temps on the processor are a max of 65c

VR temps are max 68

PCH is at 40c

Memory... 35c

Here are the settings. and any insight is much apprecated.

settings.PNG

so you only raised the turbo not the normal multi? also what is system agent voltage?

Edited by hornybluecow

This is my understanding of it. A little vague and less me saying it but way easier then typing it out.

voltagedescript.jpg

well...... I took the voltage knob and gave it a spin.... So far so good and we shall see what happens. testing at 1.30V @ 4.50ghz and seeing what happens. :D