Hard drive manufacturers slash warranty periods

bigball1

Goodbye WD and Seagate, if you can't stand behind your products neither will I.

So where you going, hitachi than?

By the way, it is official ...Seagate now owns Samsung drives - oh yay! :glare:

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hitachi ftw :lol:

I will probably stick with WD drives as I haven't had to RMA one yet.

:withstupid:

Gonna stick with WD until they give me a reason not to. Two years is still a good warranty.

That's how ya do it. Get a monopoly on something and just start cutting services. :D

:lol: That is totally what happened.

Hitachi ftw :lol:

I will probably stick with WD drives as I haven't had to RMA one yet.

Wasn't WD in the process of buying Hitachi's hard drive division before the flooding in Thailand hit? Not sure what happened with that (I vaguely remember something about it either being stopped or canceled due to the flooding).

I use WD exclusively. IMHO warranty periods beyond 2 years is almost moot. In all my years I've had two platter drives fail and they were both over 6 years old. I think if you get a good drive that isn't DOA it will probably last well beyond when you figure it's time to replace it. But for me it's WD Blacks. I wont pay current market pricing for them, but when they come back to where it belongs I'll be right back buying them again.

To be fair this is mostly for their OEM drives, given that most basic warranties on pre-builts are ~1 year then this makes sense.

Why warranty something longer than the device it is attached to.

I don't think their consumer top-of-the-line products are even affected by this.

i just bought a seagate HDD, does that mean i have a 2 or 1 years warranty period :dunno:

Should have 2. After Jan 1 /2012 is when they are cutting them back.

So spend the millions know as the prices are through the roof just to get the extra little bit, so when the prices come back to normal, they will have reduced warranty so if it does fail you can cheaply buy a replacement and be cheaper buying 2 drives then you did buying just the 1.

:mfp: