I hope this isnt true

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wonder how long before every processor is over $1000 from Intel.....

On the serious side, this is bad, bad news. I always wondered how long AMD would hang on in the desktop CPU market, or if they would release a killer line of CPUs again. I also wonder how well AMD would have done if Intel hadn't used anticompetitive tactics for an unfair advantage. It's hard to say.

Somehow I don't see that as being true, since it doesn't make sense from a business standpoint. PC processors are basically just Intel and AMD, while mobile processors have ARM and NVIDIA, so would AMD really want to compete against two companies instead of just one?

@BP I hope your right.

@Capitan, as long as there is competition I'll be happy. O wouldn't even mind of VIA tried to come back lol. I just really don't want to see Intel able to price their chips at whatever they want.

Don't bet too heavily on that claim. Half the reason for AMD being a total wast of money right now is because of their stocks. AMD is trying to get renewed interest from other companies to support their processors ie laptop manufactures. AMD chips use a lot less energy, so the battery life is longer on a laptop. If they get this right, it might be a new trend in laptops and ivy bridge might be knocked down a peg. This starts a chain reaction and boom you have the same cut throat competition you had a couple of years ago. However, do not be supprised if AMD goes out of buisness altogether. The reason AMD bought ATI was sort of a ditch effort to gain revenue from the video cards. They really did not have the money or the funding to buy ATI. It was a calculated risk to not only generate profit, but also to speed up the fusion processor's progress.

Basically, the situation with AMD is not that their processors suck (which they do), but it is because they don't have the money to keep up with Intel. That is why BD flopped so hard was because funding was cut. Not because they wanted to make a short cut, but because they couldn't afford it. If you follow the line of events in the processor world, you will see that the same time that AMD made a press release about the budget cuts, Intel announced 3 days later that the release date was pushed back.

Something that COULD be interesting is that one of my neighbors used to work for Asus, and he is claiming (meaning not fact (also meaning don't get your hopes up, because I am not)) that Asus might buy out the AMD processor making part of AMD. I have no idea what that would mean, I have no clue if it is remotely accurate. Would some one on the website have the sources to fact check? If some one could look into that, that would be great!

Bottom line, Amd is dead in the water. Their buyers are leaving them, their investors are pulling out of contracts, and people are getting the heck away from the company. I see this as more of an evolution for AMD, so before all of you intel people gasp about Intel not having any competition to keep the processors fast and strong, remember that Intel will still have to compete with AMD. It will just be on a different field so DON'T PANIC.