Newegg shipping #2

iskout

i really dont know how they do their business but im thinking it just depends on who is handling the boxes, not Newegg in general. I ordered an asus maximus gene IV (IT IS AWESOME :P) and some ram. Paper packaging but everything was in great condition.

I gues you just have to pray that the people handling your packages had their cup of coffee that morning or aren't suffering from a hangover lol

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to agree that the packing from NewEgg has gone downhill in the last few months. The last two times I ordered anything from them (one was a DVD burner and the other was a motherboard) there was no packing in the box (well unless you can count the packing invoice as packaging). Most anytime before I would receive at least a sheet of bubble wrap around the items.

Now it seems like they just toss things in, close it up, and ship hoping that the customer won't bother complaining (or that the item will survive the trip).

Of course some of this is part of the age we live in as well. With digital communication, email, fax, and cell phone, we have changed the way business handles things. They were not ready for this new age and many got caught with their pants down (ie the US post office, DHL, and a few others). Shipping is getting to be a very cut throat business, especially since we have toasted our own nuts by moving all our manufacturing to other countries and then taxing ourselves up the butt on import duties for our own goods! Every ounce extra in that box is money out of their pocket. Cheaper for them to ship another one and hope it fairs better than the first one.

I really wouldn't expect to see it improve for some time yet. There are changes coming in the next few years that will help but nothing certainly in the immediate future.

Its not so much Newegg as it is UPS. Especially around the holiday season when they have a higher volume packages tend to get treated a little worse. The other day we got a bunch of Cisco switches in for a client and the boxes had obvious dents on them. Its just one of the risks you take ordering stuff online. Most retailers and distributors are pretty good about any concerns you have. You can pack something all you want doesn't mean it wont be abused by the shipping company...

This would be true if the damages were from the handling of the box itself. The CPU was pretty much crammed in the side and didn't have any packaging around it. It's pretty much common knowledge that the boxes are going to go through hell through the shipping process. The reason this guy is so upset is because the item was damaged as a result of the way it was packaged, not because UPS was too rough. It was preventable.

I've never had problems with their packing. And if I was the one that received that cpu I probably wouldn't have really cared much. A crushed box is more then likely not going to affect the cpu at all. But that also doesn't mean they should pack things like that. Imagine if it was something that would have broke that is just a PITA when I have to send something back for an RMA.

It's pretty much common knowledge that the boxes are going to go through hell through the shipping process. The reason this guy is so upset is because the item was damaged as a result of the way it was packaged, not because UPS was too rough. It was preventable.

:withstupid:

I remember all of the systems I've ordered in the past from newegg, came packaged in a huge box with an over-generous amount of packing peanuts and bubble wrap. To the point that you would have to fish for the smaller items. The system I built last month, had a little bit of peanuts at the bottom, with everything sitting on the top. It looked like whoever put it in there, spent some time trying to figure out how to get it all in the box. Nothing was damaged, but a its still irritating to see $2,000 worth of hardware packed so crappy.

I've noticed a trend with newegg. When the time closes in on Christmas is when the packing quality starts to blow. I think they higher "temps" during the holiday season to keep up with demand. They did this each year at the kohls e-commerce warehouse I worked at in my late teen's. The way people would pack things during that time frame was horrible, and some of the people doing it were beyond the stage of "idiot". Most of the temps I've worked with were failures at life, not caring about themselves, let alone someone elses things. <--(Not trying to offend anyone here that might be a temp, this is just what I've seen.)

Every major shipping company will have parcel packaging standards that protect them from liability because of this poor packing and the rough nature of shipping.

Parcels on trucks get bumped on the rough road or conveyor jams occur in the reseller and shipping warehouse. The only thing missing from the packaging was a filler material to prevent product movement during transportation. A properly packaged parcel would require packaging around the product, about two inches of protecting material for the product, and packaging around the protection material. It will need to be packaged in a manner that does not allow for the parcel contents to move during shipping. Fragile items require "FRAGILE" written outside, or liquids require bags to ensure in the event of leakage no other parcel will be damaged and "LIQUID" written outside the parcel. I don't know any shipper with x-ray vision who will take extra care with a package because the shipper seen the fragile items in the parcel.

Everything I get from New Egg is packaged very well thankfully because UPS is a trashbag company that abuses packages. I have had things packed the way that picture shows and it never looked like that. When I ship I always try to make it USPS. Fedex and UPS are just lowly.

I haven't had any issues with Newegg shipping yet, I mean I have noticed the heightened use of paper packing instead of packing peanuts but that doesn't bother me as nothing has come damaged and it's better for the environment. (though those bio-degradable packing peanuts from Crutchfield gives me an eco-gasm)

That sucks for that guy, though if the processor worked, why waste it?? I would have demanded some compensation from Newegg but wouldn't have thrown a fit about testing it as I would have tried it either way.

A little insight from someone I know who used to work with and in postal companies "The more fragile stickers you saw on a box the more likely you were to see it literally kicked across the floor or thrown to the top of stacks, just to have it fall to the floor. Don't bother with "this way up" pack your stuff with the assumption it's going to be in the truck upside down the entire 3000km journey. And even if it's an unassuming plain package it's still going to be very roughly manhandled by people that couldn't care less for the meager wage they get"

Hmmm really instills great faith in others.

Either way I must say I am happy with my own packing ability because when working at a nursery on holidays I packed for frequently for some eBay orders, live plants. Some really delicate ones that made trips across the entire width of Australia to arrive in one peice and no complaints yet.

A little insight from someone I know who used to work with and in postal companies "The more fragile stickers you saw on a box the more likely you were to see it literally kicked across the floor or thrown to the top of stacks, just to have it fall to the floor. Don't bother with "this way up" pack your stuff with the assumption it's going to be in the truck upside down the entire 3000km journey. And even if it's an unassuming plain package it's still going to be very roughly manhandled by people that couldn't care less for the meager wage they get"

Hmmm really instills great faith in others.

Either way I must say I am happy with my own packing ability because when working at a nursery on holidays I packed for frequently for some eBay orders, live plants. Some really delicate ones that made trips across the entire width of Australia to arrive in one peice and no complaints yet.

Once had to pack 2 dozen prickly pair cacti at my old job (worked at a plant nursery).

By the 5th one, I was ready to quit.