Bulldozer!

3DMark03 won't submit for some reason but my old score with the Phenom II was ~96k. I get ~70k now. Why isn't Turbo Core working?

Note that with the Vantage tests the FPS dropped by a HUGE margin...the only reason the score is higher is the higher CPU score (which is pathetic for an "8 core" CPU). Turbo Core is clearly not all it's made up to be...

I guess that is possible that the turbo core is not working right due to BIOS issues. The big problem for the FX is that in a direct core comparision the Phenom II cores are actually faster. The FX gets it legs when you fill those 8 pipelines with load. However if they do not fill up then the cores end up being a let down. The design idea is actually sound, more cores but individually slower. If you can get the work spread out the overall chip is faster however there is very little that spreads out right now so in the end the FX is slower. Even with overclocking you just basically come to about even at the end of the day. This is a future looking deisng and eventually software will have moved in this direction in a more meaningful way.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry for your luck Waco, and the worst part is it's working like crap on 2 decent mb's. I really can't see 2 different bios's being screwed up, Maybe a faulty chip ???:huh:

I'm tempted to send it back to Newegg for a replacement. I have good money that it's just the BIOS sucking though.

One thing I have noticed - at stock - it clocks down to 2.8 GHz on all cores when running IntelBurnTest after a minute or so of running at mixed 3.1/3.4 GHz. Once it hits 2.8 it'll sit there till the current iteration is done. That seem odd to anyone else?

hey Waco,

last night I downloaded the latest Bios revision for my Gigabyte GA-FXA-990-UD7 (v. F6) this morning I noted that F6 was no longer available as an update. Probably not a coincidence. Is there a AM3+ bios version for yours prior to the one that is giving you problems? My CPU isn't here yet to try it out, but i think it's a good guess that it is indeed a faulty revision giving you fits here.

Waco,,, why not just put it down for a week and get back to something else. Perhaps after a week of people struggling with the New chip,, someone will have come up with a fresh bios or a fix. Lets the dust settle a bit.

hey Waco,

last night I downloaded the latest Bios revision for my Gigabyte GA-FXA-990-UD7 (v. F6) this morning I noted that F6 was no longer available as an update. Probably not a coincidence. Is there a AM3+ bios version for yours prior to the one that is giving you problems? My CPU isn't here yet to try it out, but i think it's a good guess that it is indeed a faulty revision giving you fits here.

Yeah, I tried the older 1.50 BIOS as well - it's the first one that supports the chip. It acted exactly the same. :lol:

You should have run 3DMark 11. From my testing, it gets quite a notch above the i5 2500K, and even my overclocked 1100T didn't match it. It's not made for the older ones.

I would, if my cards were DX11. :lol:

Waco,,, why not just put it down for a week and get back to something else. Perhaps after a week of people struggling with the New chip,, someone will have come up with a fresh bios or a fix. Lets the dust settle a bit.

Yeah, I'm pretty much stuck at this point to simply waiting around for a fix from ASRock. I emailed their tech support last night but I have my doubts I'll get anything back.

Edited by Waco

This is the second time I have heard the chip not working, somethings going on with BD. On a different forum the guy had a 990FX board and the chip wouldn't boot through in a 1090T and it was good to go.

Well here's part of the problem:

aida.png

Notice that it's slower to write to L3 cache than to write all the way out to memory. :lol:

I also got this back from ASRock support:

David;

Try to download previous version (downgraded) while new version of BIOS is release with those functions enabled to change.

ASRock America Support

How useful, considering I already mentioned in my trouble ticket that I had tried that. :lol: At least they responded this time!