New Troublemaker on board

Audiophyle

I am an Architectural graduate student, and my current computer build is mainly for 3d modeling, rendering, CAD work, and the occasional power gaming. lol

System is comprised of the following:

Phenom II 1090T x6

MSI 890fxa-gd70 mobo

Eco Coolit sealed liquid cooling system

16GB Mushkin silverline 1333 ddr3 ram

Gigabyte Radeon HD 5670

WD Black 750gb HDD w/ 32mb cache

Thermaltake 850w PSU

I am completely new to computer building, this was my first and 6 months of online research helped me build the system above within my budget. I feel it is a great start, lol.

I have been running the setup for about 8 months now, and have just started pushing things.

Right now I have the 1090T running 3.718ghz & the GPU OC'd to 880mhz (from 790), so far both have been pretty stable and I have not touched any voltage settings and temps are all well within reason.

Looking forward to learning more about stable OC'ing, as I need this PC to render models as fast as possible & as stable as possible, because a crash could set my work progress back by hours if not days.

Thats what Im hoping. Right now it maxes out at 115F at 3.7ghz while rendering with all 6 cores at 100% for a couple hours.

Plenty of cooling still available since the max temp is 143F for this CPU.

At 3.8 it crashes randomly, which I believe to be voltage related (ie not enough).

I believe by turning up the power a bit more I can drive the CPU mult up a bit higher too, Ill be plenty happy to break 4ghz with it.

Edited by Audiophyle

raise the voltage slowly, test for stability with OCCT, and keep the temeratures in check.

OCCT because it gives fast results, then prime 95 overnight, just to make sure.

Have you considered rendering on the GPU instead, should be a lot faster if your program supports it of course.

Blue Panda, you have a link by chance for the mod to your CPU cooler?

raise the voltage slowly, test for stability with OCCT, and keep the temeratures in check.

OCCT because it gives fast results, then prime 95 overnight, just to make sure.

Have you considered rendering on the GPU instead, should be a lot faster if your program supports it of course.

Still feel the need to learn more about voltages before I start tweaking any of it, but my eyes are always on the temps.

I render a lot with 3DS Max & Revit from Autodesk, neither of which put any load on the GPU except for when Im working in a 3d view but rendering lights up all 6 cores to 100% for several hours at a time.

I use All CPU meter as a gadget with core temp & a GPU monitor to keep an eye on things constantly.