Audiophyle

New Troublemaker on board

Blue Panda, you have a link by chance for the mod to your CPU cooler?

Modification is really pretty simple actually... The unit itself is still intact as the pump is a part of the block. I replaced all the tubing with 1/4" ID tubing and added a reservoir bay. The only other thing really was a swap out on the fan for two medium speed yate loon fans with blue leds :) A silver coil and some anti-freeze in the water and it was good to go. The most difficult thing was really just avoiding breaking the plastic barbs on the block. Otherwise, improved temps and a almost "real" water loop. lol. I've got a dual radiator sitting around but with my review case I can't quite work that one out... so for now this is what I run. :cheers:

One thing that you need to learn right now is to never overclock a mission critical machine. If you are doing things that you spend days on end designing and crafting then its never a good idea to do Raid zero or overclock in general. If you must overclock (i cant stop it either, even the toaster is OC'ed) then do so with stability tests. I.E. make sure it can pass and hour of OCCT linpak or a day of Prime95 blend test with all ram allocated to make sure the system is 100% stable and error free before continuing. And if the GPU or GPU's are to be overclocked then Stability test them with occt GPU test and memory test. then throw them under a few benchmarks such as futuremark, Uengine heaven ETC.

If you do overclock one step at a time then you shouldn't have too much trouble getting the system rock solid stable and OK to use under any load or circumstance. This will prevent data loss and interrupted gaming sessions.

My thoughts.

Boinker

Welcome to OCC :cheers: This is definitely a great place to learn about OCing, heck even in your "Hello" thread you are getting suggestions :biggrin:

One thing that you need to learn right now is to never overclock a mission critical machine. If you are doing things that you spend days on end designing and crafting then its never a good idea to do Raid zero or overclock in general. If you must overclock (i cant stop it either, even the toaster is OC'ed) then do so with stability tests. I.E. make sure it can pass and hour of OCCT linpak or a day of Prime95 blend test with all ram allocated to make sure the system is 100% stable and error free before continuing. And if the GPU or GPU's are to be overclocked then Stability test them with occt GPU test and memory test. then throw them under a few benchmarks such as futuremark, Uengine heaven ETC.

If you do overclock one step at a time then you shouldn't have too much trouble getting the system rock solid stable and OK to use under any load or circumstance. This will prevent data loss and interrupted gaming sessions.

My thoughts.

Boinker

& great thoughts at that. My "mission critical" files or anything I care about are backed up regularly between a second storage HDD & a laptop. Most of the programs I use frequently have autosave features & backup features that update quite regularly, so I do feel I have the risk as minimalized as possible.

Biggest setback Im worried about is setting it to render a model, and coming back the next day to find it had crashed sometime. Many model renderings can take over 6 hours to finish, Ive had one take an entire day once, nearing a deadline a setback like that can cause hair loss but a risk Im willing to take. lol

I am also not planning to push the system to the moon, but any free performance I can squeeze out the better right? (isnt that why we are all here in the first place?)

Welcome to OCC :cheers: This is definitely a great place to learn about OCing, heck even in your "Hello" thread you are getting suggestions :biggrin:

Further reinforcing my choice on joining up here, this place is awesome.