Star Wars Blu-ray

Black64

So I was looking forward to buying Star Wars: The Complete Saga on Blu-ray, but first I read some reviews on how they changed some scenes :nono: . Made edits and added CGI :down:. Then I went to amazon and saw the reviews and wow. I think they did a rather poor job on the new release. I few of my Star Wars fan friends said that they canceled or choose not to buy it.

So what do think?

Edited by Black6464

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think you should read something like this first. Yes, there are changes, but honestly, we've been getting changes to the Star Wars films since 1997. So really, what is new in that regard?

Yeah, I know I read that, but I would still like to have a High Quality(Blu-Ray) and original (theatrical edit) release. Now is that to much to ask for? :(

someday they will put out an unaltered release just like the limited edition dvd set. as for the edits, i dont mind it in 1-3 since they were mostly cgi anyways. The originals shouldn't be touched but it sell and allows for an unaltered edition.

I'm not sure if we ever will see the original theatrical releases come to Blu-Ray. Anything is possible, but now would have been the best time to have the different versions released, because they could possibly have been put on the same disc. BD offers nonlinear playback and I know Close Encounters of the Third Kind and Terminator 2 both use this in their releases. T2 integrates in deleted scenes and Close Encounters allows you to select one of the three cuts to watch (original theatrical, special edition, and director's cut). I'm not sure of the exact amount of storage required, but it would still seem to me the ~40MBps data rate could have been sacrificed to include the original versions.

Still, I bought the set, and I'm happy. I want a copy of Star Wars, and the only change, I can think of, that bothers me is the Vader "No" in ROTJ. I know Han shot first, but the new line changes the scene, and not for the better, in my opinion. Even then, it doesn't really matter what I think. Lucas will do whatever he wants and even if every Star Wars fan refuses to buy anything but the original versions, he's still got enough money to just sit back and not care.

No matter what we think, George Lucas is the owner of Star Wars. He can do whatever the hell he wants to the movies because they are his creations. We, as the fans, may not like it and may even hate it, but Lucas can futz with the movies however much he wants because they are his.

I must say the part where darth vader says no is . stupid. He said nothing in the original right? I still have the original 3(4-6) on VHS :lol:

Apparently, Lucas added the "no. nooo." bit in RotJ since Vader was supposed to have said it all along.

Apparently, Lucas added the "no. nooo." bit in RotJ since Vader was supposed to have said it all along.

That reminds of a interview at the beginning of the VHS copies my family has, some where, of the original trilogy. In the interview he explicitly says he envisioned 9 movies. More recently he has denied this and said he had only ever planned 6. Seems to me Lucas hasn't any issue with rewriting history, both in our galaxy and in Star Wars'.

The problem with any future movies, if they indeed make some, is that the Extended Universe books already continued the story of the movies. The EU books are now several decades beyond the end of RotJ, so really, there is nothing for Lucas to do a new trilogy on unless he decides to do the Grand Admiral Thrawn trilogy or some other set of 3 books set in the Extended Universe.