Why 99% of Power Supply Reviews Are Wrong

It's business folks. Brands like OCZ, Corsair, Muskin, Silverstone, Antec et al -

They all buy their power supplies from third party builders (as do the "lesser" brands). The key is in the design, engineering and quality plan that each of the above mfgs. implements at the shop floor level at these various mfg. plants. All of the psu branders HAVE to have power supplies that fit into certain price points, no way around that if you want to compete. And accordingly even though it may say "Corsair" on the label - depending on the capacity and quality of the power supply it may be built by one or more of the primary power supply mfg. plants that exist in the world.

Unless you live in China any power supply that you purchase is going to be "imported". That's just the way of the world right now. And, in China (just like every other country in the world) there are great manufacturing facilities, good manufacturing facilities and bad manufacturing facilities. As a general rule of the thumb the "bad" manufacturing facilities offer their product at lower prices and of course that's what drives the low end market of any goods or services.

Not to be lost in the power supply discussion - just like any other hardware purchase decision - is the reputation, reliability, warranty, customer service etc. of the brand you are buying from.

In the beginning I didn't care who made my power supply - evidenced by the purchase of a MGE Vigor years ago. Then when I jumped on the DFI motherboard bandwagon I found out how important a good power supply was and switched primarily to OCZ power supplies. Anyone remember the OCZ 520W PowerStream power supplies? What an awesome piece of work they were..................

The last few years I've been using exclusively Corsair because of my own personal experience with them + generally good reviews from sources that I trust.

• 3 weeks later...

It is true though... Ive seen 1000watt psu and 1000watt psu.. With totally different specs... I remember my shaw 1200watt psu I had as a back couldn't run my 5850xfire setup I had ages ago... But my corsair 850watt runs my highly oc'd 580 x2 setup :-/ most reviews lie about psu's.. Fairly common.. Don't know y they do :-/

Seems like common sense to me if you see a reviewer especially a video reviewer read the specs off the box. Then unbox it to show you that it did come with all the stuff it said it had in the box on the outside of the box. Then plug it into a voltage tester, to check to see it's actually working. Seems to me most folks would have the common sense to know they guy didn't actully test or do anything. Technically I guess you could call it a review just not a very good one. It would be my guess the author of that article would prefer to inspire reviewers to do a better job, so it don't take away from the effort that other reviewers work hard to make very analitical reviews. Personally, I read a reviewrs methodology first for thier reviews, if it seems weak or lacking, then move on to the next place.

i must say again.. great find.. and i went through looking to see how well corsair psus were coz im convinced they can output alot more than it says on the sticker.. and they do.. 750watter pulling 900watts? insane... no wonder my 850 unit runs what i have so easily.. nearly 1kwatt.. wow.

It is true though... Ive seen 1000watt psu and 1000watt psu.. With totally different specs... I remember my shaw 1200watt psu I had as a back couldn't run my 5850xfire setup I had ages ago... But my corsair 850watt runs my highly oc'd 580 x2 setup :-/ most reviews lie about psu's.. Fairly common.. Don't know y they do :-/

As we can clearly see here Mr. MattyAMDfanboy is exhibiting the major differences between a High quality Power supply against a lesser quality power supply.

Its not normally the amount of watts its the Quality of said watts. :lol: Just the Price alone of the Shaw PSU makes me wonder WTH is going on in that unit...

I am trying to remember what company it was years ago claimed a certain wattage but it was wrong.

They were saying it was a 1000watt unit but it could only pull about 780 watts or something like that when it was actually tested. I will be damned if I can remember where I saw it. I know it wasn't a big company it was some smaller company. Made for an interesting read :lol:

I have to admit that over the past couple of years, I just stick with the advice given at the johnnyguru site. I bought my Antec Quattro 850 & my Rosewill 850 Extreme, based off their reviews. Their reviews are entertaining enough to read, while helping guys like me (who don't know that much about PSUs and electricty) at least kind of understand what's going on. Both of the units I just mentioned have been cracked open, re-sleeved, and were running Crossfire 5870 & SLI GTX285 machines, respectively. They are both currently folding with a couple of GTX260/GTX285 SLI setups. Pretty much 24/7 uptime for nearly 2 years. Like it's been stated numerous times within this thread, the value of finding a site/source that's trustworthy, is immeasurable. I would have never thought in a million years that I would ever own a Rosewill PSU, let alone rely on it for something that runs 24/7. That's the value of a source that you feel you can trust. While no site is going to be able to delve into something with complete 100% accuracy (fine by me, because I most likely wouldn't understand 90% of the technical jargon anyway), just give me the site that lays it out in terms I can understand, and has a body of review work that's consistently accurate. I'll take the content of the article that started this thread, with a shot of whiskey, and a few grains of salt. There was nothing said that would make me uneasy about where I go for reviews and buying advice, because like I said earlier, the consistent results I've had trump everything else.

Edited by greatscott68

• 2 weeks later...

maybe because- no one cares

people buy cheap PSUs maybe because... idk, maybe because they are CHEAP

people dont buy cheap PSUs because they want cheap quality, they buy them because they have NO MONEY or spent their money on too high a processor (intel fanboy crap, :heh:)

Ain't nothing' wrong with CHEAP! I love cheap... I just detest cheap & nasty! :P

I've never paid more than $40 for a PSU and mine has lasted almost 8 years, mind you I buy pre-owned Antecs and replace the capacitors in them but that's another story (for another day) :thumbsup:

OMG... Shaw and Ritmo PSU's are the cheap-butt units purveyed by MSY.com.au and it's ilk, now don't get me wrong not all of their offerings are rubbish but those PSU's (and cases) are utter... utter nasty (they'll give you cooties)! :yucky:

Viva La Retro! :wub:

Edited by tazwegion