Thank Hell for onboard Graphics!!

Twinings

so ya used drive sweeper and reinstalled first driver that has support fot the 6950? keep testing it! so does anybody know if 81 is high for that card?<div>bump</div>

Dan - didnt use drive sweeper - but now i will, and do you mean go back to the earliest driver for that card?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the suggestions - This is a brand new build (just last weekend) No soundcard other than onboard - and no old stagnent drivers - Do you still think a re-install of windows would still could be the answer?

I tend to go with reinstalling Windows if I am having driver issues just to make sure I am working from a good starting platform. It's how I make absolutely sure there aren't any driver conflicts in the machine to begin with, but it is rather inconvenient that's for sure.

If the machine was just built and no hardware has been swapped I would skip the reinstall windows part. Not really worth it since you haven't had a lot of drivers being loaded and unloaded yet. Now two years down the road when looking to upgrade some stuff, I would reinstall lol

To update all who have tried to help.

Have re-packaged the 6950 2GB and called AMD suppport - explained all above to them, the card is crashing in a windows environment they expect it to be due to Faulty Memory - System is eventualy requesting use of the 2nd GB of onboard ram and this is where the system is crashing - Spoke with Re-seller this morning and they have issued me with a pre-paid UPS docket to attach to Box and return. I HOPE THIS IS THE ISSUE!

System running perfectly over weekend without 6950 (Gaming is Crap however!!)

Edited by Twinings

Well Twinings, that was a terrible GPU story! Hopefully all is fixed with a new card. BUT, I would still take the advice of completely cleaning all AMD drivers on your system before installing the replacement GPU. Did you ever get a Driver Cleaning program? If not, then you need to! AMD comes out with new drivers almost every month, and I wipe the old drivers every single time I install new drivers. Just make sure when you pop that new 6950 in the you are starting from scratch and not with a bunch of older drivers still on the system! I have been using the brand new 11.4 for close to a week without any issues, so I would use the newest drivers available when you get the new card back :thumbsup:

Well Twinings, that was a terrible GPU story! Hopefully all is fixed with a new card. BUT, I would still take the advice of completely cleaning all AMD drivers on your system before installing the replacement GPU. Did you ever get a Driver Cleaning program? If not, then you need to! AMD comes out with new drivers almost every month, and I wipe the old drivers every single time I install new drivers. Just make sure when you pop that new 6950 in the you are starting from scratch and not with a bunch of older drivers still on the system! I have been using the brand new 11.4 for close to a week without any issues, so I would use the newest drivers available when you get the new card back :thumbsup:

Hey Speedway, I downloaded and used Drive sweeper and it also found other ATI drivers for my onboard Graphics (never dawned on me) however even after removing those and installing the new 11.4 (Liking the new Eyefinity Tab in 11.4) the card still crashed at 45 mins into boot. Looking forward to the new card and finaly seeing something nice on my 3 24" LED's - Can only imagine what eyecandy 2x6970's display!!

• 1 month later...

Hey Speedway, I downloaded and used Drive sweeper and it also found other ATI drivers for my onboard Graphics (never dawned on me) however even after removing those and installing the new 11.4 (Liking the new Eyefinity Tab in 11.4) the card still crashed at 45 mins into boot. Looking forward to the new card and finaly seeing something nice on my 3 24" LED's - Can only imagine what eyecandy 2x6970's display!!

Well Well Well, Finaly i get a new card from Pixmania only This Monday!!! (7 Weeks) Pixmania/Fotovista claim it was irrepairable and instead gave me a refund - i went and purchased the same card and installed it last night to discover the same issues!!! I really havent a clue where to turn anymore. Recap -

• Stress tested RAM
  • Stress tested CPU
  • Tried another PCI-e slot
  • flushed old drivers

Dont have another Graphics card to try on MOBO, Could it be MOBO? 2 Faulty PCI-e slots..... Could a complete reinstall work (dread the thoughts!!)

Any Idea as to where i should turn to next? What about buying a cheap PCI-e GPU to test it out?

Help much appreciated

I know your PSU should be way more than enough for that system, but it might be a good idea to check voltages with a multimeter. PSU's that are faulty or being overloaded can cause similar results.

Holy cow! I'm just about to buy 2 6950's and flash them to 6970's ! What brand is the 6950? I hope it will works fine with a crosshairV

Don't think its the mobo since it crashed as well with your brothers pc. It is possible that its the mobo, would be strange. Maybe ur

brother has a pci-e gpu ? Would be cheaper

edit: its a sapphire 6950, locutus had the same problem with the same card, ask him how he got it fixed

Edited by Wolfrider

Twinings - does it crash regardless of the number of displays you have attached? If I'm reading right you're currently running 3 displays, and if that is correct, I'm wondering if it crashes when using only a single display?

And I second sYstE's suggestion about checking your voltage rails. Load that sucker up with as much a load as possible and check the voltages.

Holy cow! I'm just about to buy 2 6950's and flash them to 6970's ! What brand is the 6950? I hope it will works fine with a crosshairV

Don't think its the mobo since it crashed as well with your brothers pc. It is possible that its the mobo, would be strange. Maybe ur

brother has a pci-e gpu ? Would be cheaper

edit: its a sapphire 6950, locutus had the same problem with the same card, ask him how he got it fixed

Wolfrider, i didnt actualy get to test my card in my bro's machine as he had a Mini ATX - But 2 faulty cards? now that would be unlucky!! Or 2 faulty PCIe on one mobo!

BTW its a Sapphire HD6950 -