Thank Hell for onboard Graphics!!

Twinings

My Radeon 6950 is now sitting on my desk while i continue to use my New build with the onboard Graphics - System is completely stable when i remove the 6950 - Put it back in and ill be lucky to get a couple of hours before the screen turns to vertical stripes and shows the BSOD - the info it gives is a mixture of IRQL_NOT_Less_OR _Equal and other stuff ive searched on the web for, most of the errors point to a hardware/Driver fault. I know its the 6950! Ive disabled the Aero Peek Feuture and also EIST and CPU throthling in the Bios and while it made it more stable the system still crashed albeit more elegantly! I have tried Catalyst Drivers 11.3, 11.2, 11.1, 10.12,10.11,10.10 Although it seemed Below 11.1 the system didnt recognise the card so wasnt helpfull. Here is my system spec (Built 3 days ago) Any other suggestions or should I return?

1055T Phenom 6 core

4X2GB DDR3 1600 Corsair XMS3 (ordered 2X4GB sticks Got 4X2) Anyway it seems to be working without any issues!

ASRock 890GX Extreme 4 (Im glad i went with Onboard Graphics!)

OZC Vertex 2 60GB SSD

Saphire Radeon HD6950 2 GB

Corsair HX650 PSU

Samsung Blue Ray DVD\RW SH\b123l

Hyper 212Plus CPU Fan (Cooler Master)

OS Windows 7 64Bit SP1

DirectX 11

Latest BIOS on Motherboard

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

try and stress test components individually.

while on on-board graphics test the ram and cpu.

then put the gpu in and stress test it with a benchmark.

You think it could still be an other piece of hardware - even though the system is running smoothly without the 6950 Installed?

You think it could still be an other piece of hardware - even though the system is running smoothly without the 6950 Installed?

just test all to be 100% sure.

it could be the hd 6950 display driver that could be causing it.

i am with cery25 on this one....try it in another pc.

use prime95 to stress test CPU and Ram

you can try 3dmark for a gpu stress test

use core temp to to minitr your cpu and mobo temps to check if they are fine.

Thanks Mercman, will do this evening when i get home - do you know what temp the CPU (as stock) should max at ? and also the 6950 Stock working temp (and max)

Thanks

my last 3 setups is intel setups so im not sure what temps are safe and what is good or bad.search for a review or two and have a look at what they say.

Ok

With just the onboard Graphics I ran Prime95 and stressed the memory and CPU to 100% activity for around 40 mins with no issues - Reinstalled the 6950 and ran FurMark BURN IN in the highest resolution for 30 mins the cards GPU was at 99% and the Temp got to 81 Degrees and levelelled at that, the test ran flawlessly - It was after the test about another 30 mins while installing Warhammer the system then crashed with horizontal lines and then BSOD - (the message rotates through about 5-6 different errors all that point to Hardware /software faults when googled) System tries to reboot about 5 times before finaly becoming stable again - then lasts for a further 30 mins before another Crash and a further 20 mins after that - taking about 3 reboots this time.

im not sure what else i can do here - This is a brand new build (only last week) should i send the card back?

appreciate the advice!

Try flushing your drivers and perhaps even picking up a registry fixing program.

I had very similar problems with my 6950 when I first got it, but grabbed some expensive butt registry program that they advertised on TV and now it's doin just fine. :P