laptop overheating? WTF?

my baby bro has this laptop (an HP) he got for xmas 1.5 years ago. relatively new laptop. he plays on it. games that prolly are not meant for a laptop but he's got 1GB of dedicated VRAM so he is giving it his all. last coupla weeks he says the thing is randomly switching off and telling him it's overheating. now he doesn't know a lot about computing but this really came out of nowhere. it has always been standing on a table so ventilation shouldn't be a problem... yesterday I made him DL coretemp for crap and giggles and saw that the CPU regularly hits 85-90C. (some sort of AMD dual core that says that TJ max is 115). still I am not accustomed to seeing those temps. seems very strange - and that wasn't even in a game!

so the question is - is it normal for a laptop to be this hot, being that there is much less cooling then a desktop?

p.s. is buying like a cooling fan shelf for the laptop a good idea or is that a gimmick?

Yes, it really should not be that high. Reapplying the thermal paste may be a good idea, and also, the cooling pads are usually helpful. Make sure you get one with good airflow however, even if not totally quite, as it will help lower temps by roughly 5C, or sometimes upwards of 10C if bad enough of a case of overheating.

Could be a fan failure inside the laptop

yes makes sense. and no app will measure fan RPM in an OEM laptop that don't have that crap!

there are like 2 fan outlet grills on the whole thing! I mean small ones! like 2.5-3in each! really small. all heat is stopped by the battery.

should I take the thing apart? not that I really did that with a laptop.

p.s. can a warranty cover that?

let me answer your question.

Answer 1 A laptop should never be used for gaming

Answer 2 A HP Laptop should never ever be used for gaming

that may be obvious to me and you but not obvious to his parents, which we have the unluck of sharing... he needs something and just wouldn't have place to stick a desktop

Have you tried just blowing it out with compressed air? They tend to get dusty. I've "fixed" several laptops that all they needed were the cooling ducts to be blown out.

Have you tried just blowing it out with compressed air? They tend to get dusty. I've "fixed" several laptops that all they needed were the cooling ducts to be blown out.

Unfortunatly this is nothing new. I have an HP 8730w Elite Book which is a work laptop and it (at the time) cost a fortune. It idles at 60c and if i do anything other than word processing it will sit at about 90c on the CPU. I tried playing starcraft 2 on it, but it would just turn its self off.

Not much you can do unless you're out of warranty then you can open it up and re apply thermal paste if you have the time!