Is there any ethical way to do this?

ebarone

What if I just tell them the wireless doesnt work without actually destroying anything or burning my house down? I have an N router already, but it seems like it would be a pretty major PITA to have to double up on the routers.

That could work. Tell them you are having issues getting a laptop connected wirelessly or some other device like that. They should ship you a new one that way, at least in theory.

Dude the most ethical thing to do would be to keep to telling the truth and not destroying equipment in order to con the system to giving you what you want.

While it may not get you the new shiny router - it is still the right thing to do.

In life we have plenty of opportunities to get what we want through wrong actions but we don't usually take them (well I hope we dont! :teehee: ) because we know these actions are wrong...:)

I'd expect that it would have an automatic shutoff in the event of overheating. Really, your best option is to just buy one off of Newegg. That way you own it, and you've upgraded ethically. Unless of course their service is locked to certain routers that they provide, in which case, keep calling the internet technician. After we had to call one for the second time, we got a brand new one free of charge.

This is silly, of course it unethical to intentionally damage it for a free one, regardless of how you do it.

If you do decide to wreck it for a free one fine but whats with this ethical crap,, of course it isn't.

I would probably wreck it but just do so in a way you can reverse later in case they deny you a new one. And don't cut the wire that's too obvious. Just un-solder something.

Or you could just phone and say it keeps freezing all the time.

I love my FiOS, and I've had it for almost a year now. However, when they came out to install it, the router they gave me only has 802.11 a/b/g, but not N. My dad got FiOS at his house a few weeks ago, and his router had N, so since I'd like to upgrade my wireless stuff to N speeds, I figured I'd call Verizon and ask for an updated router. Well... no dice. The guy said it would be $130 for a new one. WTF.

But then he also said in kind of a hinting way "now I'm not saying you should do this, but, if for some reason your router stopped working, we would replace it free of charge." Now obviously I'm not gonna go smash the router apart and ask for a new one, but is there any ethical way to get a free N router from Verizon? Maybe a bad firmware flash or something? If I know it will break before I do it, does that automatically make it unethical??

plug it in to a power adapter that has more power it will overheat and burn out and it will look like a factory defect

hah i got mad at my modem and router so i unplugged them both and slung them against the wall with the cat cable, the company replaced them both even after i told them what i did lol

but i had to fix the wall, lol

that is the best thing i have heard all day.

yea ive had a boring day :P

Edited by ShallowBay