Is there any ethical way to do this?

ebarone

You guys are getting way too much into the ethical or not arguments...

Anyway, I would NOT just call and say the wireless isn't working. You need to actually make it stop working. What if they say they are going to send a tech out and everything is working fine? He won't just say hey, have a free router anyway. Prove it doesn't work and you are golden.

or... spill beer on it. :lol:

All this soldering and sabotaging stuff is far too much work if you ask me. I think spilling beer on it is pretty reasonable, we get a lot of laptops and other stuff in the shop a lot that has had soda or beer spilled on it.

Edit: That is if you decide to go this route, I personally don't think you should unless you really think you need wireless N speeds.

Edited by Deathmineral

You guys are getting way too much into the ethical or not arguments...

Anyway, I would NOT just call and say the wireless isn't working. You need to actually make it stop working. What if they say they are going to send a tech out and everything is working fine? He won't just say hey, have a free router anyway. Prove it doesn't work and you are golden.

Verizon charges for Tech Support anyway, so it would still be wasting his money. At that point, he might as well have just bought the upgrade.

I vote for getting a high amperage transformer and cooking that thing from the inside out. Don't forget to replace it with the old adapter before you call them, though. Then, you can say that your power went out one day and it stopped working after it.