Is there any ethical way to do this?

ebarone

Does it really matter that much to have N wireless? I have trouble justifying getting a G wireless access point - I'm still running an old B access point (Linksys WAP11).

What's the point? Do you really need faster wireless? It can't possibly affect your browsing speeds and it can't be that hard to plug in to do large file transfers...

forget ethics, if you are seeking to get something you know you're not entitled to free from your ISP you obviously don't really care, and personally neither do i.

if i were you i'd tell them that your router had a major fault which caused you to have to dispose of it. sparks, flames etc, anything that means you don't have to actually break it or return it. that way you end up with a spare router. ideally you also tell them that you don't need the new unit to be installed. usually you won't get much argument there as your ISP can send the new unit through the post, saving them cost of the callout and probably also avoiding more questions and again having to return the "broken" router.

i guess it could be complicated in that they may argue that the router remains property of the ISP, in which case if you tell them you threw it away they may attempt to charge you for a replacement.

You pay them money for a service. They should be giving you free upgrades when new technology comes out. Don't feel bad about it. You can always tell them you are going to go to AT&T or Cable or whatever because they choose to charge you. 9 times out of 10 their retention department will always give you the free upgrade.

They should be giving you free upgrades when new technology comes out.

Why? What he has works perfectly and they are under no obligation to give him free stuff that he doesn't need.

Why? What he has works perfectly and they are under no obligation to give him free stuff that he doesn't need.

Who are you to tell someone what he does or does not need? It is called Customer Service too. You provide a service to someone. In addition to providing that service, you provide equipment. If you have been a loyal customer and have outdated equipment, as a sign of good customer relations, free upgrades are usually given out (see cell phone providers). In addition to that, when ISP's update their connection (fiber swap, new nodes in your area) such other equipment can become detrimental as well. In addition I never said they were obligated to provide it to him for free, but there is no law that says they are prohibited from it either.

In addition I never said they were obligated to provide it to him for free, but there is no law that says they are prohibited from it either.

I never said anything of the sort either... :dunno:

As for needing a new wireless router - I'm pretty sure the OP will admit he doesn't need N for anything - it'd just be nice to have.

obligation. :cheers:

I never said anything of the sort either... :dunno:

As for needing a new wireless router - I'm pretty sure the OP will admit he doesn't need N for anything - it'd just be nice to have.

And mabye he doesn't need it, but poor customer service would being saying that to someone who is paying you for a service. There is no problem saying you will go to another provider either. They train their retention team to try and persuade you not to leave. The cost of they giving you a new wireless n router versus the cost of your monthly subscription isn't even close.

I dont need an N spec router like I dont need a G or a ton of channels on my TV. I want it though, and I pay for 35Mbps download speeds. Anything on the wireless G is limited to roughly 10Mbps, including file transfers from my media server to any kind of device I have on my network, for example the Boxee box I'm setting up in one of the rooms to avoid needing another set-top box. (Yes I know G is spec'd for 54Mbps but thats not realistic and I've never achieved it through any G router I've ever owned.) I told the guy on the phone that I pay for 35Mbps and cant get it through the wireless G, and that since the wireless N is available I feel I should have it instead. He disagreed and wanted more money. After dealing with Comcast for so long, I'm very annoyed when something as simple as a router upgrade turns into a price gouge. My point in making this thread was to see if there was anyone who knows the right thing to say to a CS rep to get him to send out a router, I wasnt really looking for the "lie about it" or "spill beer on it" solutions, attractive as they may be. As in, an ethical way to persuade Verizon to do the right thing. What I need and what I pay for are totally different.

Ethics goes both ways:

1. New Verizon FIOS customers get the new 802.11 a/b/g/n routers while loyal existing customers have to pay $130 for a new 802.11 a/b/g/n router. Loyal customers should get a free upgrade if new users are getting it.

2. A Verizon representative said they would replace it for free if the older router stops working. From Verizon's standpoint, they do seem to honor loyal customers with free upgrades, but only when they need it, so customers should honor their obligation by not exploiting service.

I probably wouldn't care unless my router went kaput and they didn't replace it with a 802.11 a/b/g/n router, and instead replaced it with another 802.11 a/b/g. I would complain about ending my service with them and switching to another service provider, and most likely, they'd replace it with a 802.11 a/b/g/n to settle the matter.

@ebarone - Do you have a copy of your contract with them? If you're supposed to get 35Mbps download speeds and you're not getting it and you can track that information, I'm pretty sure you can make them upgrade it for free since they're not holding up their end of the agreement. I told my friend to complain that he was always getting 8Mbps downloads when he was supposed to get 10Mbps, and he ended up getting a new modem and a free upgrade to 15Mbps for the same price of 10Mbps each month so that he wouldn't switch over to another service provider.

obligation. :cheers:

Yes - specifically referring to the fact that they aren't required to give him a new one just because he pays them for a service.

I pay for Verizon cell service but I can't get huge discounts on phone upgrades like new users whenever I feel like it. This is a similar situation. When and if his router dies he's certainly entitled to complain to them and get a newer router when they replace it - but until then I don't see any reason they should give him a new one just because he wants it.

As for only getting 10 Mbps on wireless G - try changing channels or placing the router somewhere else. I get nearly full bandwidth with my crappy 11 Mbps access point and get 2-3 MB/s over G whenever I use it when not home. Perhaps with a little work you could get yours working better. :cheers:

Edited by Waco

I dont need an N spec router like I dont need a G or a ton of channels on my TV. I want it though, and I pay for 35Mbps download speeds. Anything on the wireless G is limited to roughly 10Mbps, including file transfers from my media server to any kind of device I have on my network, for example the Boxee box I'm setting up in one of the rooms to avoid needing another set-top box. (Yes I know G is spec'd for 54Mbps but thats not realistic and I've never achieved it through any G router I've ever owned.) I told the guy on the phone that I pay for 35Mbps and cant get it through the wireless G, and that since the wireless N is available I feel I should have it instead. He disagreed and wanted more money. After dealing with Comcast for so long, I'm very annoyed when something as simple as a router upgrade turns into a price gouge. My point in making this thread was to see if there was anyone who knows the right thing to say to a CS rep to get him to send out a router, I wasnt really looking for the "lie about it" or "spill beer on it" solutions, attractive as they may be. As in, an ethical way to persuade Verizon to do the right thing. What I need and what I pay for are totally different.

If what you need and what you pay for are totally different then you might be doing something wrong. Does Verizon only one 1 plan or something? I personally haven't used them so I don't know how they operate. It would be my suggestion to go with a cheaper plan if you're actually paying for more than you need.

You guys are getting way too much into the ethical or not arguments...

Anyway, I would NOT just call and say the wireless isn't working. You need to actually make it stop working. What if they say they are going to send a tech out and everything is working fine? He won't just say hey, have a free router anyway. Prove it doesn't work and you are golden.