Is there any ethical way to do this?

ebarone

I love my FiOS, and I've had it for almost a year now. However, when they came out to install it, the router they gave me only has 802.11 a/b/g, but not N. My dad got FiOS at his house a few weeks ago, and his router had N, so since I'd like to upgrade my wireless stuff to N speeds, I figured I'd call Verizon and ask for an updated router. Well... no dice. The guy said it would be $130 for a new one. WTF.

But then he also said in kind of a hinting way "now I'm not saying you should do this, but, if for some reason your router stopped working, we would replace it free of charge." Now obviously I'm not gonna go smash the router apart and ask for a new one, but is there any ethical way to get a free N router from Verizon? Maybe a bad firmware flash or something? If I know it will break before I do it, does that automatically make it unethical??

You could always say one of the ports or antenna got busted on your current router and see if they'll send you a new one. Or you could do what I did and be a pest to the Internet company so by the time the third technician comes out, I ended up getting a free modem that normally would have cost around $100. :lol:

My house kept having connection issues where the Internet would just get dropped for up to an hour or two every few days. Called Qwest and they sent out some technicians and of course, the Internet would stay on the whole time he was there. By the time the third tech came out I suppose they were a bit frustrated and before he left, he gave me their new top of the line modem that doubles as a 4 port wired and wireless router. Free of charge too.

I think the only way that it would be ethical for them to replace it is if it broke on it's own otherwise it would be unethical unless there is some type cause in the contract that says they will replace accidentally damaged equipment at no user expense.

Why not just buy a new router you can get a good wireless n router for around $50 dollars on newegg the routers that isps typically give out are overpriced and have a cheap quality to them and don't usually have as many features that you can use in the firmware.

Edited by fire_storm

I think the only way that it would be ethical for them to replace it is if it broke on it's own otherwise it would be unethical unless there is some type cause in the contract that says they will replace accidentally damaged equipment at no user expense.

Why not just buy a new router you can get a good wireless n router for around $50 dollars on newegg the routers that isps typically give out are overpriced and have a cheap quality to them and don't usually have as many features that you can use in the firmware.

Because FiOS doesn't behave well with other routers. They send the channel guide over the internet and you need to do some sort of workaround to get it to work with other routers.

hah i got mad at my modem and router so i unplugged them both and slung them against the wall with the cat cable, the company replaced them both even after i told them what i did lol

but i had to fix the wall, lol

Edited by camaro_dude15
  • Like 1

Umm. not so safe it might catch fire. They do get really hot, atleast ours get so hot you dont want to touch it.

I've never had a modem or router get hot. If yours do, then its time to drill some ventilation holes in it.

Umm. not so safe it might catch fire. They do get really hot, atleast ours get so hot you dont want to touch it.

If it DOES catch on fire, then job well done, Verizon will HAVE to replace it. :teehee: