Crossfire: Which card to get + x8 question

m0rphr3us

Hello all! Just a quick couple of questions.

First off, the situation at hand: I currently have a Gigabyte GA-790XT-USB3 board with an HD5830 in the PCIe X16 slot. Apparently the other slot is also an X16 slot, but it runs at X8 and shares bandwidth with the X16 slot. I also currently have 2 monitors and a TV hooked up to this card and therefore have to switch the outputs in Catalyst. My questions are as follows:

1. If I wanted to add another card, would I be able to add a regular X16 card, even though the slot only runs at X8? Anything special required for this setup?

2. What card would you recommend? I'm looking to possibly get it really only to be able to use 4 displays at once. I do do a lot of gaming and some video editing etc. but I'm just not sure if shelling out the money for another 5830 or so is worth it considering the slot runs at X8 but I'm also not sure what the minimum requirement would be here for running 2 more monitors.

Thanks everybody!

Hello all! Just a quick couple of questions.

First off, the situation at hand: I currently have a Gigabyte GA-790XT-USB3 board with an HD5830 in the PCIe X16 slot. Apparently the other slot is also an X16 slot, but it runs at X8 and shares bandwidth with the X16 slot. I also currently have 2 monitors and a TV hooked up to this card and therefore have to switch the outputs in Catalyst. My questions are as follows:

1. If I wanted to add another card, would I be able to add a regular X16 card, even though the slot only runs at X8? Anything special required for this setup?

2. What card would you recommend? I'm looking to possibly get it really only to be able to use 4 displays at once. I do do a lot of gaming and some video editing etc. but I'm just not sure if shelling out the money for another 5830 or so is worth it considering the slot runs at X8 but I'm also not sure what the minimum requirement would be here for running 2 more monitors.

Thanks everybody!

1. Nope , it will run fine.

2. Another HD5830 would work fine . But Im not sure how well it would run. 4 monitors in gaming will stutter badly , a guy on the forum had some stuttering in really intensive games with two monitors on a pair of 5850's . Gaming will be super intensive on two 5830's

1. Nope , it will run fine.

2. Another HD5830 would work fine . But Im not sure how well it would run. 4 monitors in gaming will stutter badly , a guy on the forum had some stuttering in really intensive games with two monitors on a pair of 5850's . Gaming will be super intensive on two 5830's

I'm not actually going to game on all 4 monitors at once, if that's what you were talking about lol I just do a lot of multitasking and if it calls for it, I'd like to game on one while maybe watching a movie on another, not a whole lot more than that. lol

I'm not actually going to game on all 4 monitors at once, if that's what you were talking about lol I just do a lot of multitasking and if it calls for it, I'd like to game on one while maybe watching a movie on another, not a whole lot more than that. lol

Ohhh ok then two should be fine :thumbsup:

Just checking; you are aware that the 5830 and 5770 cannot be Crossfired together, correct?

Well I feel stupid! haha

Just realized that I need to order another card in the 5800 series, correct?

Cancelled my newegg order in time. Thanks guys.

He never said anything about Crossfire. If all he wants to do is run more monitors, then any current low-end AMD card would have sufficed.

yeah but why not just get another 5830 so he can really up his performance.

m0rph, I'd hawk some forums or ebay for another 5830 for cheap. They aren't well sought after so you should be able pick one up fairly cheap

that guy with the bad stuttering with the pair of 5850s was ME lol

just not enough horsepower... i can only imagine 5830s... and what do u mean he didnt say anything about crossfire??? its in his title..

plus it wont game on 4 monitors anyway.. 3 is the max ull be able to game one and i seriously dont recommended it on a few gpu intensive games.. :)