5770 to 6870 ?

FalconFX4

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i can have it stable 960 MHz core and 1445 on memory, though when i did have it overclocked i put the memory to only 1300, i haven't touched the voltage or anything so its a decent overclocker.

Try maxing it out with high voltage

So they're no longer making the 5850/5870's?

That would suck ! What about people who were waiting for the 5 series price drops ? I hope AMD doesnt do that

That would suck ! What about people who were waiting for the 5 series price drops ? I hope AMD doesnt do that

The price could still drop but just when they sell out, they sell out.

It's pretty dumb if this is true though since the 6870 doesn't completely remove the 5870 from the picture, and sometimes the 5850 has it's wins over it.

The HD 6850/6870 is meant to be a replacement for the HD 5850/5870 only a bit faster and cheaper, the real 5850/5870/5970 equivalents are still to be released.

AMD/ATI FTW!teehee.gif

Wrong... Try again.

Edited by Drdeath

I'm with Dr.D on this!

The 5870 & 5970 are still the top performers of ATI/AMD

The 6800 series are mid level performers, not enthusiast level cards!

Looking forward to see the 6900 series cards!

yup totally agree with DrD.. especially since amd never said they were the replacement for 5850/5870.... they just happen to perform better but they are a midrange card.. not a high end card.. and they are replacing the 5750/5770... they havent gotten rid of them yet because they are cheaper still BUT they give u the option of spending another 50 bucks to get better performance than a 5850 in most apps...

the replacements for the 5850/5870 are yet to come

Based off the general performance of the 6800 series the 6850 is more the replacement for the 5830 performing better or the same, the 6870 is more the replacement of the 5850 performing better in most cases sometimes near 5870 but holding less stream processors than both, the 6800 series seems to just be a new refresh with improvements taking the spot of upper level midrange cards. the 6900 series will the replacement for the 5870 and possibly 5970 as the new high end models. Also keeping the 5700 series for a while after the new releases. The refresh of the 6800 series was to keep marketing levels high and to keep peoples interest with new products as well as to offer a better competitor to Nvidias GTX460/470 cards. With the performance offered at the price id say they did a pretty good job placing them right where needed performance and price wise. If i have said anything tha doesnt fit or that is incorrect just let me know XD.

Nope, AMD stated that they are keeping the 5770 around for awhile (kinda like the 8800GT).

Oh man, the good ole days. The 8800 GT, in its day, was one of the best deals ever in the video card industry. When that thing came down to like 130 bucks? Fantastic.

Oh man, the good ole days. The 8800 GT, in its day, was one of the best deals ever in the video card industry. When that thing came down to like 130 bucks? Fantastic.

It still is the best deal for a cheap card, I'd never buy anything sub $100 but a g92

It still is the best deal for a cheap card, I'd never buy anything sub $100 but a g92

It just had such a long life, too. Well after the 9 series came out, people were still recommending the 8800 as a solid card to buy. It was probably an acceptable solution for, what, 1.5 years? Don't see that too often nowadays.