Choose an opponent to a duel!

El_Capitan

No they will not fit. I changed from 480's to 580's. The ram are set lower on the 580 and the waterblock does not touch them. I called dd about mine and they said they will fit but it will not cool the ram properly. They said it's fine for stock and mild overclocks but not for high clocks. I work in a machine shop and had the control lab do some measurements on both blocks and they are different.

Well that sucks. You think doubling up on the thermal pads for the ram would work? If not I may just stick with air cooling or get some universal blocks.. These full cover blocks are getting a little ridiculous. I still have a gtx 295 block I can't get rid of.

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just do what I do, get a Universal GPU block, then either put some ramsinks on there (not necessary though), then mod the unit to place a 80mm fan underneath to cool the voltage regulators.

If you don't put ramsinks on, use a 120mm fan for both the memory and voltage regulators.

In this configuration, you only need to use the fans on their lowest setting, so you will never hear anything.

It will only cost $50 for the universal GPU waterblock (MCW80), and you can always modify the back-plate by drilling new holes. The best thing about it is that you can do this with every new graphics card that comes out and not have to buy new full-cover waterblocks each upgrade.

I probably will end up going with the universal blocks. I'm going to see what temps and overclocks look like with the stock cooler first though. Either way, I'm done with the high priced full coverage blocks.

Haven't u been watching nyts and my clocks.... 900+ with ease.. His overclocks better than mine as I need lots of airflow to get to 950 while he does 960+... and temps neve get crazy with low 80s being the highest I've seen with fans at around 70%

Keeps things cool, but will certainly shorten your fan's life ;)

I wouldn't worry much about that , I've run 100% fan speed on all my cards since my HD5850 .

I wouldn't worry much about that , I've run 100% fan speed on all my cards since my HD5850 .

LMAO, Nyt, have you ever even had a card for very long? You have upgraded pretty often since you have been an OCC member ;) All I'm saying is if you plan to keep that 580 for awhile and you run 100% fan all the time, then you may have to deal with fan issues! Heak I was only running 100% fan speed on a heavy benching sessions with the 5970, when it started making an awful noise, signaling it was going to go out! The harder you run those fans, the shorter they last! But, when you upgrade every 6 months, then you have nothing to worry about :evilgrin:

LMAO, Nyt, have you ever even had a card for very long? You have upgraded pretty often since you have been an OCC member ;) All I'm saying is if you plan to keep that 580 for awhile and you run 100% fan all the time, then you may have to deal with fan issues! Heak I was only running 100% fan speed on a heavy benching sessions with the 5970, when it started making an awful noise, signaling it was going to go out! The harder you run those fans, the shorter they last! But, when you upgrade every 6 months, then you have nothing to worry about :evilgrin:

I think the longest I had a card was my trustworthy GTX260 which I used for about a year . I seem to upgrade cards every couple months . I was running 100% fan on my 5970 and nothing went wrong . But I suppose if you run 100% fan for over a year and a half then it may cause trouble.