nVidia or Ati?

Thomasdez

It appears as though El_Capitan has done the to web browsing i was too lazy to do. Thank you sir!

And i sorta forgot to mention the 5970, for some reason it slipped my mind, but Savan, has a good point, ATI(will be AMD by then) is doing a refresh of their product line Q4 this year, possibly as late as Q1 2011, It is however not known if this is going to be 5X90's, like 5790, 5890, or 5990... or if it will be the 6XXX series. Either way, waiting to upgrade from your already pretty decent 4870 might be worth the wait!

Don't trust Semiaccurate.

Don't trust Semiaccurate.

You know... I'm not saying we aren't all entitled to our own opinions, because we are, and on a post like this, its really all opinion... But still... You say I'm wrong about PhysX but then offer nothing to show why or how I'm wrong. Then you say don't trust Semiaccurate, but provide no reason as to why we shouldn't trust it. Again i know this it all opinionated, but your opinion appears to be Heavily Bias towards nVidia and provides no reason to believe what you have to say is of any worth.

Edited by MercuryDoun

well unless you are swimming in money i suggest you just remain with the 4870. It's a great card. Getting another one isn't the best idea. Performance wise it will last you i guess about 1 year and a half to play video games at their max but you'll probably be sorry you didn't get directx 11 and spent money on that 4870. On the other hand getting a different card for directx 11 is again not really worth it yet. Not many titles that use directx11 and the performance difference won't be mind-boggling unless you get a GTX 470, 480 or a radeon 5970 which are qutite pricey. Bottom line i think you should just remain with your 4870. If you have money to spare and really really want a new card then I suggest that you get a GTX 480 or a 470 or a radeon 5970.

Just be sure to get the 1GB versions. My two GTX 460 1GB MSI Cyclone's will arrive in about 2 hours. :)

Deals suck right now, but they're still the best bang for your buck video cards in SLI. If you can wait 13 weeks, I'm sure the prices will drop with better deals.

PhsyX is a load of crap... you have a i7-960... let your CPU handle the Physics... it wont have any issues with it. Sorry if that sounded like something a fanboy would say, but its true... PhsyX is only a "great" feature if your CPU blows and cant handle the added workload of Physics... im pretty sure his i7's got it covered...

I dunno man... I really like ATI, BUT... right now Nvidia's got a pretty good hold on the mid and high end markets... The GTX460 is amazing and competes with Nvidias own 470 and ATI's 5850, but cant do much to a 5870... but the 480 has the 5870 beat in most games as well... and ATI rules the low end market but im pretty sure your not looking to downgrade lol...

I dont much care for 480, despite its raw ability to man handle games. I think it uses too much power and is the equivalent of throwing an easy-bake-oven in your computer. I think all the extra heat will lower your entire systems life span....

So here is what i would do if i was in your position... Either get 2x nVidia GTX 460's and enjoy some SLI goodness, preferably two of those nice Asus Direct CU ones that OCC reviewed here... or get an ATI 5870 and enjoy not even having to update your drivers because the 5870 and 4870 use the same ones!

Except for the comment on the Physx stuff, I agree.

I think I'm going for another HD 4870, but the 1GB version, there's one on ebay so I'm gonna buy that one. Thnx for all the advance guys!

If you get a 1gb version you're going to limit the 4870 you have already to 1gb.

You know... I'm not saying we aren't all entitled to our own opinions, because we are, and on a post like this, its really all opinion... But still... You say I'm wrong about PhysX but then offer nothing to show why or how I'm wrong. Then you say don't trust Semiaccurate, but provide no reason as to why we shouldn't trust it. Again i know this it all opinionated, but your opinion appears to be Heavily Bias towards nVidia and provides no reason to believe what you have to say is of any worth.

If you haven't noticed the guy who writes the articles on Semiaccurate is an AMD/Ati fanboy and has been know to completely make stuff up before.

Edited by TheHippi

I used to be ATI all the way till recently my reason is that i looked on top of the shelf of my desk and i have 3 screwed up ATI on there and i have an old nvidia in my test comp that's still going after so many years so i tought.... time to switch since then i bought 3 Nvidia and they're still running 1 over 2 years one about 8 months and my recent BFG 260 maxcore

Dosn't mean they're better but i just didn't want to pile another screwed ATI on my desk

Edited by kobalt

PhysX isn't a load of crap, but there are only a handful of games that even support it, with not many future games announced that will take advantage of it either. This should really sum up the PhysX discussion on this thread. Bottom line, if you play the few games out there that use PhysX, then it makes things really blow up more! But, again it is really only like 7 games <-- being a little sarcastic, but not by much!

Personally, if I were you I would either stick with my 4870, or add another, since you can get one for pretty cheap now! You will be able to play pretty much any game out right now with either 1 or 2 4870, and like it has been said, wait for the 6000 series cards from ATI and see what they are all about!