I need help deciding.

Ok, assuming my money doesn't magically disappear again I am planning on getting a new graphics card. I am currently running a 4670 because it seems to make much better picture quality than my old 9600GT ever did and honestly I haven't been gaming all that much as of late. That doesn't stop me from wanting a new graphics card.

First off, the 5850 is absolutely out of my price range. As far as the 5830 goes the maximum I want to spend is $240, I found this one I like Gigabyte 5830.

I was originally thinking of the 5770 but I really couldn't justify not getting a 4890. My problem with the 4890 is no DX11 but this probably isn't even a real problem for me now but it might be some day.

I am leaning towards the 5830 because my motherboard would suck for XFire because my second PCI slot is only 4x.

If anyone has any other suggestions just know I really really don't want to spend more than $250.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, assuming my money doesn't magically disappear again I am planning on getting a new graphics card. I am currently running a 4670 because it seems to make much better picture quality than my old 9600GT ever did and honestly I haven't been gaming all that much as of late. That doesn't stop me from wanting a new graphics card.

First off, the 5850 is absolutely out of my price range. As far as the 5830 goes the maximum I want to spend is $240, I found this one I like Gigabyte 5830.

I was originally thinking of the 5770 but I really couldn't justify not getting a 4890. My problem with the 4890 is no DX11 but this probably isn't even a real problem for me now but it might be some day.

I am leaning towards the 5830 because my motherboard would suck for XFire because my second PCI slot is only 4x.

If anyone has any other suggestions just know I really really don't want to spend more than $250.

5830 is very similar performance to a 4890 or a GTX 275 but with DX11. Most examples seem to overclock fairly well so you will be able to squeeze a bit more performance out of it.

Bottom Line on the 5770 vs 4890 arguement, not only are you missing DX 11 with the 4890, but your also using much more power from a wattage standpoint. The 4890's performance increase is negligible over the 5770, and missing the DX11 and using much more power is just not a good trade!

Also, many tests have shown that the CF difference from x16, x8, or even x4 to not be as bad as you would think. Some even showing less than 4-6% difference from x16 to x4

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/..._Scaling/1.html

However, this debate has been discussed by many for awhile, and always has different opinions. Personally while I do find it hard to not look at the figures as proof, I still would want to have minimum x8 CF. But, I also see the figures hard to argue with!

My whole point to this is that 2 x 5770's in CF is one of the best performing setups that falls very close to your budget. These cards scale amazing in CrossFire, and I am extremely happy with the results of using 2!

2 x 5770 in CF > 1 5870!

Thanks for all the responses everyone :)

Firstly, I checked out my case and the Gigabyte Card will be way to close for comfort size wise because of the thickness on the end. I am going for the XFX variant if I do go with a 5830. It is smaller at the end and mightl just barely poke into the bottom optical bay. I have decided against the 4890, I just want a new efficient card. I play games at 1650x1050 so the 5770 probably has enough grunt but the 5830 would just be nice future proofing.

I can probably not fit 2 5830's in but I wont know until I get my first card. I probably will never get a second card because honestly, I don't need both.

I am really torn between these two now. XFX 5830 and the XFX 5770

I will see how my next pay check looks.

Edited by gabrieltessin

Thanks for all the responses everyone :)

Firstly, I checked out my case and the Gigabyte Card will be way to close for comfort size wise because of the thickness on the end. I am going for the XFX variant if I do go with a 5830. It is smaller at the end and mightl just barely poke into the bottom optical bay. I have decided against the 4890, I just want a new efficient card. I play games at 1650x1050 so the 5770 probably has enough grunt but the 5830 would just be nice future proofing.

I can probably not fit 2 5830's in but I wont know until I get my first card. I probably will never get a second card because honestly, I don't need both.

I am really torn between these two now. XFX 5830 and the XFX 5770

I will see how my next pay check looks.

Playing at the same resolution as you are, I find that the 5770 at stock settings is already semi-future proofing. Most games I currently have I run top settings (I don't have Crysis though, and BC2 doesn't count due to DX11) so really, just get one now and get another down the road. There just is not a huge enough gap between the 5770 and the 5830 for me to recommend the higher card.

Playing at the same resolution as you are, I find that the 5770 at stock settings is already semi-future proofing. Most games I currently have I run top settings (I don't have Crysis though, and BC2 doesn't count due to DX11) so really, just get one now and get another down the road. There just is not a huge enough gap between the 5770 and the 5830 for me to recommend the higher card.

+1 for this! They both have DX11 and run eyefinity! Your paying $80 more for a tiny performance increase! Like I said before, down the road, add a 2nd 5770 and you can play any game out on the highest settings!

Again

2 x HD 5770 in CF > 1 HD 5870 > HD 5830

Also, by the time you get a 2nd, the price is almost sure to have dropped, but even @ $160 x 2 = $320, thats the best performance money can buy right now! Even just 1 5770 will take care of all your current gaming needs!

+1 for this! They both have DX11 and run eyefinity! Your paying $80 more for a tiny performance increase! Like I said before, down the road, add a 2nd 5770 and you can play any game out on the highest settings!

Again

2 x HD 5770 in CF > 1 HD 5870 > HD 5830

Also, by the time you get a 2nd, the price is almost sure to have dropped, but even @ $160 x 2 = $320, thats the best performance money can buy right now! Even just 1 5770 will take care of all your current gaming needs!

That's quite true. I'd go with the 5770 myself I think.