EA to follow Ubisoft with always on DRM

sdy284

I'm pretty sure the reason multiplayer games are the most popular games is because it is a form of social networking, most people don't play multiplayer games like call of duty or crysis wars because it's good, they play them because their friends play them. I mean why else would developers make their games around multiplayer? It's clearly not an innovative part of the game because like you said, it's been around for years, the reason they focus on multiplayer is because it does the same thing that facebook and myspace does, makes people rich, these are companies after all, their first goal is to make a lot of money, their second goal is to make a good game, now whether they succeed with that second goal or not doesn't matter as long as the first goal is achieved, and multiplayer is the best way to do that.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you misunderstood me i'm not talking about using the internet for pirating, I'm talking about the old days of dial-up and the only way to get a game for free was to have a friend that had it and burned it for you, you missed out on that I guess

Aaaaaaww, they were my Sims 1 days :P

I have an idea. 2 ways they can get more sales.

1) remove DRM all together. yes this will make it easier to pirate but when used in conjunction with #2

2) lower the price. I am more likely to buy a game if its not costing me a kiddney and if i know i am not going to have a million and one issues with activation, DRM etc. etc.

im not saying this would in anyway stop piracy. it would however force less people to pirate the game. i would buy more games if there were less issues with DRM. simple as that.

You think just because they lower the price they will stop pirating?

I think you need to re-read what i said.

You think just because they lower the price they will stop pirating?

I think you need to re-read what i said.

I still doubt the sales numbers would significantly go up.

Edited by Jump4h

I'm pretty confident the sales would go up, and I don't really see why it even needs to be significant, an increase in sales shouldn't be something for them to get picky about, especially when they blame a decrease in sales on piracy and then waste money on developing and maintaining DRM.

Edited by Deathmineral

I still doubt the sales numbers would significantly go up.
You are still missing my point by adding in words that i never said. My point was that the companies could stop complaining about piracy hurting their sales if they reduced their prices and removed DRM. Then they wouldn't be forcing people to turn to piracy to have a more enjoyable experience. This is something we should normally be entitled to, an enjoyable experience. We used to be entitled to it not too long ago.

I'm pretty confident the sales would go up, and I don't really see why it even needs to be significant, an increase in sales shouldn't be something for them to get picky about, especially when they blame a decrease in sales on piracy and then waste money on developing and maintaining DRM.
Thanks for backing me up on this. It is simple supply & demand. people demand more of something the the price is lower. This is economic fact. i buy more games when i see them at $80 or $90AUD than if they've just come out at $110 or $120. its also one of the main reasons i buy PC games as they are on average $20 cheaper than their console counterparts. Edited by bilcliff

Great.....guess I won't be buying Mass Effect 3 when it comes out after all. Now I'll never find out what happens to Commander Shepard..... :angry2:

Well, at least until I break down and download a cracked version of the game... <_< ..... not that I in ANY way, shape or form condone that practice, but man, that was REALLY productive, wasn't it EA.... :ph34r:

Edited by Teeebs

EA is the den of evil. Unfortunately Bioware is in bed with them. They just don't get it. EA...YOU CAN NOT STOP SOFTWARE PIRACY!!!!!

yea one can just set up a fake activation server

remember the online VLK that forces activation every few months on windows vista

I know im a little late On this topic but Ironically enough it was because my Internet connection Suddently dissapeared along with my modem router, its taken me near on 3 weeks to call up Virgin media and sort this mess out. I agree that some form of DRM is needed but this 'always on' internet DRM is just plain Rotten Ballz. Had i bought assassins creed 2 i wouldnt have been able to play it, thats a major flaw no less. Therefore i fully endorse Cracks to get around all this rubbish, afterall if we payed for it, its ours. Glad to be back guys! :)

EA.com's editor-in-chief and blogger (or "official EA codpiece") Jeff Green, like many since launch, was burnt by Command & Conquer 4's DRM.

Green wrote on his Twitter account late last week: "Booted twice -- and progress lost -- on my single-player C&C4 game because my DSL connection blinked. DRM fail. We need new solutions," continuing later, "Well. I've tried to be open-minded. But my 'net connection is finicky -- and the constant disruption of my C&C4 SP game makes this unplayable. The story is fun, the gameplay is interesting and different at least -- but if you suffer from shaky/unreliable DSL -- you've been warned."

Source (Neoseeker)

this DRM seems to be impressing no one.