Sign in to follow this  
sdy284

EA to follow Ubisoft with always on DRM

Why can't companies just hard wire in a disc check every time you start the game? Weave it into several layers of code so that people can't crack the thing and then you don't need anymore draconian DRM measures. Freaking stupid..

Why can't companies just hard wire in a disc check every time you start the game? Weave it into several layers of code so that people can't crack the thing and then you don't need anymore draconian DRM measures. Freaking stupid..

It's been tried and it doesn't work!

I'm not a fan of the always on DRM either. I think the best solution is to design is a compelling multiplayer experience, micro-transactions, etc. At least if they're going to force the players online, give some sort of perks. I don't know... when you're logged in, even in single player mode, you rack in points for whatever, stuff like that!

It's been said time and time again -- DRM doesn't affect pirates, only legitimate players! It's only a matter of time before a crack is released anyway.

Edited by Zertz

My internet at this apartment isn't the greatest. Its a shared cable connection between 20 different apartments in each building. With the always on DRM, when some idiot in my building is torrenting and drops the connection speed of mine, will I be booted since its not going that fast? Thats what the big companies don't seem to care about.. though if every single game allowed a save anywhere feature (unlike AC2), then I wouldn't see a problem. But what if people don't save constantly and the internet drops? Will the progress after the latest save be stored in a cloud or just erased forever?

Makes no sense.. I can't stand pirates, but why can't companies see that the DRM measures they put in place just drives more people to do it?

It's all been tried

CD keys

CD authentication required to start the game

Game activation

and know always online access to verify the game.

All proven to be hackable.

The only ways that have been proven not very easy to hack is locking down the hardware and software like consoles but even then if someone does enough modding to a xbox360 they can play pirated games.

Edited by fire_storm

The only way that you can stop the pirates is to host the game through something like onlive( <_< ) where the code never gets to the player. In the end, anything played on any hardware given to the player is hackable. So the moral of story is not to try at all. :thumbs-up:

not a suprise. EA always had alot of tricky backdoor security, and alot of online only content.

now they just gotta make a game worthwhile enough to buy with this new garbage security.

Not only do the developers need to make it work, but they need to "sell it" to the consumer. we need to be convinced that the drm is a value added service. and "access to your savegames on any computer" isn't a valid reason. i can easily locate where the save data is on my pc so it is very easily copied to a USB flash drive or other storage device and copied to another pc. give me a reason to want to buy your problem riddled Piece of S. always on DRM makes the limited install DRM look like an angel.

I have an idea. 2 ways they can get more sales.

1) remove DRM all together. yes this will make it easier to pirate but when used in conjunction with #2

2) lower the price. I am more likely to buy a game if its not costing me a kiddney and if i know i am not going to have a million and one issues with activation, DRM etc. etc.

im not saying this would in anyway stop piracy. it would however force less people to pirate the game. i would buy more games if there were less issues with DRM. simple as that.

Removing DRM would surely save the developers money too as they wouldnt have to spend money on the "always on" servers, or spend money developing the DRM

Not only do the developers need to make it work, but they need to "sell it" to the consumer. we need to be convinced that the drm is a value added service. and "access to your savegames on any computer" isn't a valid reason. i can easily locate where the save data is on my pc so it is very easily copied to a USB flash drive or other storage device and copied to another pc. give me a reason to want to buy your problem riddled Piece of S. always on DRM makes the limited install DRM look like an angel.

I have an idea. 2 ways they can get more sales.

1) remove DRM all together. yes this will make it easier to pirate but when used in conjunction with #2

2) lower the price. I am more likely to buy a game if its not costing me a kiddney and if i know i am not going to have a million and one issues with activation, DRM etc. etc.

im not saying this would in anyway stop piracy. it would however force less people to pirate the game. i would buy more games if there were less issues with DRM. simple as that.

Removing DRM would surely save the developers money too as they wouldnt have to spend money on the "always on" servers, or spend money developing the DRM

Exactly.

I think they definitely need to lower the prices of games, cheaper games means more sales, simple as that, I mean look at steam for example, whenever there is a weekend sale or something, that on sale game flies to the top of the best selling list every time, clearly people are more willing to buy the game at a reasonable price.

The only problem is you can't compete with free. It's a cliche but completely true. I hate to say it but there really is no way to stop pirates. They just have too many tools. And as with any game, just give it time and the crackers will figure it out. The only medium still safe from pirates is the PS3.

Just thinking about game pirates gets me riled up.... :(

Edited by spartang6

the only provable DRM success is the CD Key and "disc in tray" check just to keep the people that don't have the skills to hack and copy files to another disc and share it with a friend(since I did that so much with Heroes 3).

more than that just pisses people off