EA to follow Ubisoft with always on DRM

sdy284

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Theres a reason I wont buy those games. I figure if I pay for it it's mine to use whan I want

Greed is an ugly thing!!

I'm not accusing you of anything, but some people say don't buy it and then turn around and pirate it which proves their point... some form of DRM is necessary!

I'm not accusing you of anything, but some people say don't buy it and then turn around and pirate it which proves their point... some form of DRM is necessary!

:withstupid:

I'm surprised EA is doing it because typically if you pirate one of there games like BF2, BC2, C&C you can't play online on there ranked or office servers which kind of defeats the purpose of playing them.

Edited by fire_storm

Zertz, I do agree that some form of DRM is needed. But if I own a game, I should not require an internet connection to play. Especially if I game on a laptop, or am highly mobile. Or when my internet connection fails and goes down, or some of my hardware such as modem fails. That's my biggest problem with this. Is that internet connection is required at all times.

Zertz, I do agree that some form of DRM is needed. But if I own a game, I should not require an internet connection to play. Especially if I game on a laptop, or am highly mobile. Or when my internet connection fails and goes down, or some of my hardware such as modem fails. That's my biggest problem with this. Is that internet connection is required at all times.

I'm no supporter of DRM but one could argue that most people buy games to play them online against other people which requires a constant internet connection anyways so if you don't have a good internet connection or it's unavailable at the current time you probably won't be playing the game weather there is DRM in it or not of corse though constant DRM means if the DRM servers ever go down or are taken offline then you can't play the game anymore.

Edited by fire_storm

I do buy games mainly to play online, as I'm sure others do. But there is a campaign part usually, and one that is single player only. With this type of DRM, it's not feasible to play single player when the internet goes down sometimes. I'm not saying mine does, but for some people, that's a problem. And with the servers going down as you stated, that also is a huge problem if it ever occurs.

Well looks like I might not be buying crysis 2 after all...

I can't say I'm shocked about this but I really would have preferred them to not do it. Also, while I completely understand what you mean about there being a need for DRM, the thing is that it needs to work, I personally would be happy with DRM if it actually worked, because that actually solves the problem, the problem being that paying customers are the ones with the DRM and pirates get a nice clean version of the game.