2010 Firearms discussion

Andrewr05

Andrew, about that article you posted. It seems all good in theory, but everyone forgets that GPS is used for military purposes first. So wouldn't you think the government would have a way to turn it off or make it so inaccurate that it makes it pointless? People have relied on GPS so they don't even know how to read a map anymore.

As for a handgun, haven't heard anything bad about the Springfield XD series.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm Looking to buy my first gun pretty soon here. Likely just a .22 pistol for starters :), then will likely look into a 9mm later in the year...

As far as news goes, This past summer the Attorney General of Wisconsin basically stated that open carry is legal. http://www.doj.state.wi.us/news/files/FinalOpenCarryMemo.pdf

I know alot of the law enforcement agencies are still giving disorderly conduct tickets for anyone who is found carrying a firearm openly...

Yes, it's unfortunate that some "law enforcement" agencies still cite law-abiding citizens possessing proper licenses and still get away with it, but likely this is due to the ambiguous nature of many states' firearms carry laws.

Some states, through intent or just plain stupid wording, make it difficult on use gun owners. I am lucky enough to live in Georgia, which isn't TOO bad about things, but still, even here the laws concerning one's rights to carry a firearm (given they have obtained the permit to do so) are fairly opaque. If you obtain the proper permit here in GA, you are allowed to carry your sidearm with you anywhere except public buildings, ie courthouses, public gatherings such as sporting events (although what exactly a "public gathering" entails is debatable), and schools, as well as a few other stipulations. Open or concealed carry is allowed with a permit, although I fail to see why in almost any circumstances a person choosing to carry a firearm would also chose to have it visible to those around him, including those who may be planning some "bad guy sh t" This merely makes you the first target, but I digress.

Moral of the story, laws are always changing and vary state by state. If you chose to carry you'd do well to keep an eye on the happenings in your state legislature concerning firearms laws. Some are meant to be overly ambiguous and potentially deterring to gun ownership and carry. Just do your homework, practice common-sense firearms safety, and train with that sucker!

Edited by Bizzlenitch

I'm Looking to buy my first gun pretty soon here. Likely just a .22 pistol for starters :), then will likely look into a 9mm later in the year...

As far as news goes, This past summer the Attorney General of Wisconsin basically stated that open carry is legal. http://www.doj.state.wi.us/news/files/FinalOpenCarryMemo.pdf

I know alot of the law enforcement agencies are still giving disorderly conduct tickets for anyone who is found carrying a firearm openly...

It's better just to get a CCW if you want to carry around a pistol in public places. People nowadays get very nervous when they see a gun on someone that are not law enforcement official because of all the big shootings that the media has told them about and all those calls to report all suspicious activity.

Even getting a CCW is tough in my town if you go to the local police department and ask for the paper work you get a big lecture to why you shouldn't get one before you get given the paperwork. They even require you to write a 5 paragraph essay on why you should be given a gun permit and if they don't like you or your reasoning they can deny you a permit even if you pass all the other criteria to get one. You can apply to appeal the decision at a higher level but that requires months of phone calls and letters but you usually get issued one if you meet the basic requirements to get one.

Plus there's all the vaguely written laws about were you can carry and have one. With all the places you can't carry one it makes me wonder whats the point of carry a pistol around if most of the places that your likely to have to use it are on the gun free zone list.

hey fire_storm I can understand why you ask what the point is. My thought is if I can have my gun closer to me the better. I understand the idea of not bringing a gun to a bar or a football game, but you can leave it locked in your car! That way if the zombies come you have it closer then home! lol If someone is drinking I really think its a bad idea to have a gun! That's just how I was brought up tho! I just wish more people understand and know more about CCW's and gun safety!

nobody honestly needs a gun concealed in public. if the crimerate is that bad that you need that. move.

what ever happened to people settling things the old fashioned way with two fists ?

hey fire_storm I can understand why you ask what the point is. My thought is if I can have my gun closer to me the better. I understand the idea of not bringing a gun to a bar or a football game, but you can leave it locked in your car! That way if the zombies come you have it closer then home! lol If someone is drinking I really think its a bad idea to have a gun! That's just how I was brought up tho! I just wish more people understand and know more about CCW's and gun safety!

I never said that having a handgun is a bad thing. I was just making a comment that current gun laws today make it very hard for a law abiding citizen to defend themselves nowadays.

nobody honestly needs a gun concealed in public. if the crimerate is that bad that you need that. move.

The whole point of getting a concealed to carry is so nobody knows you have a gun on you which prevents some people from panicking and calling the police on you or having to answer there questions about why you have one. It also gives you an advantage in a dangerous area/situation because if the criminals don't know you have a gun your less likely to be a first target thus allowing you to take better action to defend yourself or others.

I never said that having a handgun is a bad thing. I was just making a comment that current gun laws today make it very hard for a law abiding citizen to defend themselves nowadays.

Yet it is twice as easy for criminals to get firearms, and they walk around with them concealed :-\

what ever happened to people settling things the old fashioned way with two fists ?

What happened? Idiots started using knives and guns while "everybody" else has no "need" to be carrying a firearm. I follow the laws as they are applied in my state, as well as abide by applicable federal laws. I cannot say the same for the plenty of people you might call "criminals" who just so happen to not really care what laws society has in place.

My point: if you want to leave your protection up to a "law enforcement officer" who may or may not be nearby, go right ahead. In the extremely unlikely event anyone should ever need a personal firearm for protection, though, wouldn't it be pretty darn nice, not having to sit around and get shot by someone who doesn't abide by your laws? I don't know about you, my friend, but I'll take my chances leaving my self defense and the defense of my family and property up to me. I'm not going to sit around while some jackass shoots up a McDonald's or something while my wife is sitting right beside me, possibly in the line of fire. More power to you, though.

It would be nice if people still did things the "old fashioned way," but they don't. Cops aren't everywhere at once. Criminals will still get guns even if they were illegal to sell or possess, just like they do anywhere else in the world where such laws are in place.

You should address the social issues before casting a firearm in such an implied negative light. They are inanimate objects. It would be nice if there was no need for them in society, but by its very nature society presents plenty of justifications (just turn on the news and hear about some crazy idiot shooting up a place, or some thugs killing someone in a robbery) for me having a "need" to carry a gun concealed while I abide by all applicable state and federal laws.

The point is moot though: the powers that be say that I shall have the right to do so and so I do. You are of course entitled to your opinion, and I mine, and everyone else their own. Ain't life grand?

It's not always a bad area. An affluent area or isolated area can attract criminals as well.

Forgive me i have not read all the posts but you guys in the US are so lucky! I live in the UK and we cant have nothing,well we can have shot guns but thats after local police cheaks and inspections. We cant have hand guns,we can have have semi autos (shot guns only ) but 3 shot MAX.You cant evan buy a toy that looks like a real gun.

US

glock17.jpg

UK

Blank%20Firer%202.jpg

Its a joke, the Gun crime in the UK is on the UP banning guns made no change!!!!!

The only thing it did was force decent people into hardship. My Father is a firearms dealer and it nearly killed his trade when they banned handguns etc.

Just as a BM they even banned flick knifes and knifes over 4"long. SO look out you guys will be next.

Just last week in the news some famous singer was cautioned by the police for showing a knife to 2 lads....... The lads were trying to rob her.Note: She was in her own house and they were trying to get into her house..... Trust me when i say this.YOU DONT WANT THE US LIKE THE UK its unreal.

Edited by Danny_75

• 2 weeks later...