Andrewr05

2010 Firearms discussion

Thanks for the tips, I hear both of those makes thrown around a bunch. Must be for good reason. I guess I'm passively learning about them (well what's good, what's not and what's a good deal) on here, I'd like to goto a range and try some one and see what it's like.

This is usually the eternal question: Remington or Mossberg? In my experience at least both are comparable in quality of manufacture, it's just the little things that set them apart. The 500/590 has a tang-mounted safety (look it up) while the 870 uses what might be considered a traditional rifle-type safety. This is one of the main differences between the two guns. I've used both and will admit that with a pistol-grip rifle stock fitted to the weapon the 500/590's safety location is more ideal (generally speaking) than the 870's more traditional cross-bolt safety.

That being said, I own and prefer (although I have owned the 500 at one point) the 870 even though I do use it with a pistol-grip rifle stock. While that may seem somewhat counterintuitive I must say I merely prefer the 870 over the 500 series and have personally never had any problems with the cross-bolt safety. I will admit that the tang-mounted is easier to activate, but that is not to say the cross-bolt safety is worthless. For me it works effectively, if being a bit less efficient. If possible I'd advise you try both before making a decision although there truthfully isn't much difference between the two. Likely it'll come down to personal preference.

Perhaps it's just me, but I do so love the smell of gunpowder in the morning (or any time of the day for that matter). Be smart, be safe, always.

Edited by Bizzlenitch

Police officers where I live are switching from Glocks to S&Ws, despite trying to cut their budget. At least they are staying with the 9mm versions.

So yeah, my dad won't have his Glock for long, but he does have an AR-15 (able to fire 5.56 rounds as well as standard .223) he is going to buy from the department when he retires. Sadly, he hasn't let me shoot any of them...

Nice, too bad the pic is blocked at work. I keep going back and forth on what to get next but I think i've made up my mind finally.

Gonna trade in my XD45 for a 1911...so far I think this S&W. I mean I like my XD and all...but I think i'll like this more. This is what I kept going back and forth on...should I get a Kimber or a Springfield or a...you get the picture.

Also gonna get a Marlin 1895SS.

You won't regret swapping your XD for the 1911. I have a grudge against combat tupperware in general, but I'd take a 1911 over just about any pistol any day of the week. As far as which brand to go for... if you've got the skrilla to drop on a Kimber, and you want one, I'd go for it. I own both, and Kimber is of course an overall higher quality pistol, but if you don't want to drop a whole lot of money, you can pick up a Springfield 1911 Mil-Spec for not much more than an XD - $529 around here but God knows how much it would run you in Commiefornia. I picked up a SA Mil-spec on a whim a few months back, and for what I paid, it's a really well built pistol. If you are looking at dropping the amount of money on that S&W 1911, if it were me, I'd go for A Kimber just because of my history with the brand and the fact that I entrust my life to them everyday. But whichever one you choose, you're going to get a very good pistol.

I became the proud owner of an A2-style Bushmaster this weekend. :D

Very nice Lo! How much did ya drop on that sucker :P. I want to get one eventually, but going threw college right now is setting me back :(

Also I was just talking with a friend, apparently you can build your own AR15 as well, the lower receiver is the only part that needs to be registered thus the only part you will need an FFL for, and the rest can be shipped directly to your house.

Edited by greengiant912

Gonna trade in my XD45 for a 1911...so far I think this S&W. I mean I like my XD and all...but I think i'll like this more. This is what I kept going back and forth on...should I get a Kimber or a Springfield or a...you get the picture.

Here is a unbelievably low price on a NEW Kimber SS Pro Carry II, maybe worth checking into if your in the market.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem....?Item=158417114

Edited by RJR

I don't think I'll ever be able to bring myself to own an AR-15 of any type. Too many bad memories in basic of its bigger brother, and having to qualify on them every six months is just a PITA.

Edited by Kamikaze_Badger

Well I did it, I broke down and bought my first firearm that is my own. My pops has a bunch of guns I will likely inherit and so dose my step dad lol.

I figured this would be a nice starter pistol

u22neos.jpg

Beretta u22 Neos .22LR

spent a little more than what I wanted to, but it was still a heck of a deal I think.. I was thinking about a red dot sight. Maybe use the iron-sights for awhile until I can afford a decent red dot.

Edited by greengiant912

I became the proud owner of an A2-style Bushmaster this weekend. :D

27315_530033487185_70401941_31251483_7193060_n.jpg

Oh baby, she is beautiful. Have you named her?

Proud owner of:

HK PSG1 A1 I inherited it without the scope and charging handle :(

Mk-23

Olympic Arms 30

and some generic CZ-75 clone :lol:

Edited by CAINuKe