Do you backup your home system?

d3bruts1d

Do you backup your home system?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Do you backup your home system?

• Backups? What is that?
    • No, I don't.
    • I backup to another system.
    • I backup to an external drive or disk, that stays on my desk.
    • I backup to an external drive or disk, that goes to another room in the house (but not in a safe).
    • I backup to an external drive or disk, that goes into a safe.
    • I backup to an external drive or disk, that goes to the bank.
    • I backup to an external drive or disk, that goes "off site".
    • I back up to the cloud (DropBox, Mozy, etc.).
    • RAID 0 is all I need
    • RAID 1 is all I need
    • RAID 0+1 (or 1+0) is all I need
    • Other (please let us know in the comments)

I don't typically make images because after the image is restored I find that I end up spending a lot of time installing all the windows/software updates that have come out since I made the image and the whole process is just about as time consuming as a format and re-install.

why not just schedule automatic image creation every week or so?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow i'm first person to vote raid0 is all i need. :lol:

Only places I backup to are other internal drives on my computer. Its a method that has worked for me since I first started doing it over 5 years ago. Never had a drive that instantly died on me that had valuable date on it. Though I have had a couple of drives that threatened to go bad that I've pulled data off and backed up.

I am abit of a backup fanatic by the look of it.

First, I backup all my data to the server (inc. an image on my PC), then I have a backup of all my files to my Archos Media player, which I take to my parents house, and backup onto there system there. I then also do a backup of the server to another disk, which sits on my shelf.

So I have about 5 copies of all my data at any one time. Including one in a different country :P

Oh and then any really important stuff (Dissertation etc) I save to MS Office Live.

I guess all this backup gone crazy came through bad experiance before. My dad lost everything when his laptop HDD failed a few years ago, and then I lost a load of stuff when my RAID 0 died (I know, my own fault) so ever since then, I like to be 5-6 times safe :P

If I had a phone with big enough storage (10GB min) I would probably backup to that too.

why not just schedule automatic image creation every week or so?

I don't leave my computer on 24/7 most of the time I only turn on my computer when I need to so just setting a schedule thing just doesn't work out.

Also over time I find that the size Windows takes up on the hard drive increases and the number of problems increases to although it's not as common in Vista/W7 it still occurs and I find that a fresh install does wonders to speed up your system and fix little problems that may start to accrue.

It would pretty much effing suck If I lost my data, I don't have anything that important but still.

That being said I don't backup at all, I have my data spread between 5 hard drives but I can't think of the last time I backed up anything.

Probably when I built this machine...

My Mac backs up automatically using Time Machine to a USB drive sitting on my desk. That's good enough for my photo's, apps, and documents. Because my media library is so large, I had been archiving it monthly (tar.gz) to another USB drive. Though over the weekend, I picked up a WD Passport where I'll be putting a rolling 3 month copy of the archives and leaving the drive in my safe.