The noob effect.

sack_patrol

Super Mario Bros isn't exactly a fair argument in this matter, it was a game that revolutionized gaming when it was first available, it's a classic, just isn't fair to compare a classic with modern day games. I personally think crysis was a great game and ignoring the graphics, I think it had good gameplay and story, this is coming from someone that when they first played it, it was on a 7300GS, I wasn't maxing it for sure, but I can say that the graphics can make a difference in gameplay because there are nice small features that are left out on lower settings. Some examples of this would be the blue flash in crysis when you came across aliens at certain times, or in bioshock when you got hit by an enemy there would be a flash, this didn't happen on lower settings. Actually, interesting thing about bioshock on low settings, the part where you have to read the combination number off the window after the botanist dies, very hard to read on lowest settings, doesn't look like anything but giant squares in random spots. I'm not trying to say that you are entirely wrong but I think you have nothing to lose by improving graphics, I mean if you really want to dislike a game for something then it should be for something in game not the kind of people that play that genre or game. For example GTA4 and it's terrible driving system or Batman AA for it's securom and it's developers putting so much work into stopping piracy.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

....I didn't notice anything when I downloaded Batman of isohunt.com... It ran like a charm.

As for grafix: It's good to have them, but not prioritize them. GamePlay - #1

When I played Bioshock...I cared ZERO about the story...which was stupid. Gameplay was good...I found it nice, though it was still a little clunky as I finished the game (except for the boss and the big daddys) with the freakin wrench and barely used any weapons on hard difficulty. The concept they were going for was good though, and it should be better in bioshock 2.

Edited by ballist1x

I honestly fail to see what the hell this guy is talking about ...especially since he doesn't give any examples of "good games" and only disses the popular ones. And you seem to be saying the complete opposite of what he is saying... he hates every game with a story or even a half-arsed story where as you don't.

As an extremely competitive person and someone who also loves video games, that pretty much translates into a very competitive gamer. I once purposely hunted down the guy in the city who won the arcade tourny for Killer Instinct (especially since he played Glacius too) just to prove I was the best in the city. Kicked his butt every match too (20 games in a row I think), till he cheated and used the Last Boss cheat mode. Then I kicked his butt with a character i never played just for doing that. A friend and I also tag teamed for over 3hrs on Mortal Kombat till people stopped playing us ...not bad for 25 cents each. We also beat the other tag team who was considered the best in the city ...took us an hour at first because they were college and we were little kids but by the end of the day they couldn't beat us. It's no surprise I took up fighting, and training in martial arts only fueled that fire.

So the competitive streak runs in me and I completely understand that feeling. I'm still a very competitive person and want to knock down any obstacle that gets in my way. But what I don't understand, is this video. Seriously, what is his point? It wasn't funny. A true gamer loves games - period. Doesn't matter if its PC games or console games or pure FPS or games with stories or puzzle games. A gamer loves games. Not all gamers will enjoy the same games but why this guy gets so angry the games he doesn't enjoy are in existence puzzle me. This video was a lame attempt at being funny and trying to sound "pro". He probably is pro with that attitude but his video sucks donkey nuts.

Oh and if you're really into competitive games and haven't gotten into RTS games, you really need to give them another go. Games like StarCraft have endless strats. Most competitive game I know. It may be 11yrs old but its still one helluva game.

Watch it again until u do understand it. It's pretty much exactly how things are right now. I've said nothing to contradict the video. I only added that I personally, am not always, only there for competition and MP. So I do like a good story game with good gamplay once in a while. Most games today though fail to deliver that. Which are also most of the popular games + the ones he mentioned. Popular doesn't mean good.

I've played starcraft but suck at it. I have all those guides that I gotta read about it but never got the time (I've had them since last year). Though it is good...in fact the best rts. I played a bit more with my friend War3 which I was kinda gettin the hang of but them the summer ended and I haven't played it since then.

Have you actually played all of the games he mentioned in the video? The only game he mentioned that I didn't like was call of duty modern warfare 2 and that's mostly because it doesn't have servers and because I felt there was not enough added content to raise the price as well as many other reasons that do not affect the gameplay according to the video and yourself. and I haven't played gears of war because I don't have a 360 but I have played a little bit of gears of war 2 with a friend and it seemed like a good game. To sit around and try to nitpick games apart instead of actually playing them is just silly, especially if you haven't played them. I personally have found that I enjoy games that I never would have considered playing before, for example borderlands, saints rows 2, counter strike source, and dragon age origins, those are just examples though, there are plenty.

Edited by Deathmineral

I haven't played them because they are bad.
There are very few scenarios where that works.

If you look at like 5 gaming sites and a game has the lowest score on all of the sites then thats one scenario, in fact it might even be the only one.

Lighten up a bit with your gameplay and just "play" around with a game instead of feeling the need to be challenged on a hardcore level even second of your gaming life...

:)

There are very few scenarios where that works.

If you look at like 5 gaming sites and a game has the lowest score on all of the sites then thats one scenario, in fact it might even be the only one.

Lighten up a bit with your gameplay and just "play" around with a game instead of feeling the need to be challenged on a hardcore level even second of your gaming life...

:)

lol...then I'd be a total noob like the rest. Pass.

lol...then I'd be a total noob like the rest. Pass.

No, then you'd be actually appreciating the game for what it's good at instead of rating games under a narrow set of criteria :rolleyes: Some of us even play Halo to be with good friends...

I think that graphics are becoming more a important part of the game, although you should always think of the gameplay first. As goes for the story, I dont agree with him at all. "If I wanted a good story I would go read a book". Does a book give a interactive experience with often visually beautiful places? No. Sometimes, games arent supposed to be competitive, they're supposed to be a experience. Also, everyone seemed to miss this post, which I think is true.

Hang on a moment, what if different games aim for different audiences? :O