A 5900 To 5950u

Nuclear

Well...I took the plunge and flashed the BIOS on my eVGA5900SE.

Guess what? It worked!

I used Nuke's zip file and bios that he provided in his post above. Worked first try!

Now the bad news...lol. It booted up and read the 5950 bios fine, but it's set at 2x AGP and turned off Side Band Addressing and FastWrites. Using RivaTuner I was able to force SBA and FW to turn on, although I can't get the AGP to get back to 4x. I even use RivaTuner to read that diagnostic report it can read and it gives a basic readout of your some of your comps stats. It says I can run 1x, 2x, and 4x, but it's set at 2x...I know I can run at 4x, that's what I've run my GF3 on and the 5900SE on prior to the bios flash. It's stuck, I've tried a few things to try and get it set back to 4x but to no avail.

So the only prob I got so far is that its running at 2x AGP. However, current frequencies are set 470core and 900ram. Stock speeds on the 5900se are 400core and 700ram! 200mhz ram OC is pretty darn good if you ask me :) I made sure I turned down the clocks from the original speeds that the 5950 bios gave it. It started at 475core and 950ram. Didn't wanna kill it too fast.

I haven't finished OC'ing it yet, just thought I'd drop in and let you guys know that it worked. I ran it through one run of Aquamark3 and no hiccups or artifacts. My score didn't skyrocket from before, but I did notice my average fps was higher. The high vegatation test and the massive overdraw tests didn't bog my comp down as much as it did prior to the flash. I'll run it through a few runs of UT and Halo benchmarks to see if it hangs in there. In the past my 5900 would run fine at a certain speed through every benchmark and game, except for SWG...It would occasionally freeze on me. Once I crank down the core about 3-5mhz, SWG would be rock stable as well as all the other games I play. So if it survives a few hours of SWG later today, I'll start cranking up the core and see how far it'll go with the higher voltage.

I have the same problem. I just flashed my Gainward FX5900 with Nuke's zip file and my AGP is stuck on 2x - instead of being at 4x I just can't figure out why. The board I'm using is the Epox 8k3a. Any ideas? Other than that, the flash worked great.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nuke! we need you!! lol wheres the leadtek bios as well? and do i need to uninstalal my winfox overclocker software too? (also have you ever flashed a card in windows?)

I'll have the LeadTek BIOS back-up on my site soon. I would unistall everything that is video card related. You cannot flash the card from windows, you must do this flash from MS-DOS on startup.

The AGP thing I can't really explain, in one case the board wouldn't support 8X AGP. If your board won't support 8X AGP, then you'll have to settle for 2X, as the 5950U acts up when running in 4X mode. Other than that, I don't know what's going on without actually looking at the system.

Ayokona...I doubt that yours is running in 2X mode> You would have a hard time upping your score by 1000 points if it were running in 2X mode.

No, that program will not work. It will check for a BIOS to Card match, that will fail. You'll get tons of errors if you try to do it that way.

I now have the LeadTek package on my site, download it at your own risk.

sorry to be yet another pain nuke, but where is the direct link to the LEADTEK BIOS? i ve got one but i dont know if its the leadtek or gainward one, i decided to go for th leadtek one to be on the safe side (slower memory and all in the LX model)

Ayokona...I doubt that yours is running in 2X mode> You would have a hard time upping your score by 1000 points if it were running in 2X mode.

Good :withstupid: I'm in the clear...

Im just at work right now so I couldn't check what its set at ...

But u make a good point. :P

According to RivaTuner, it says my mobo supports 1x, 2x and 4x agp, but then says my 5900 only supports up to 2x agp...It reads as a 5950 to RivaTuner since the flash.

Under the Power User tab in RivaTuner I have it tryin to force the card to use 4xagp. It still says 2x all the time in RivaTuner and there's no agp setting in my comps Bios to change it.

I'm pretty much able to play any game at 1280x1024 with 2xAA and 4xAF and has no problem running. KOTOR, CoD, SWG, Vice City, Halo (no AA in Halo). All run fine eventhough RiveTuner says it's running 2x agp.

Would going from 2x agp to 4x agp make a huge difference? Or is it possible it's running at 4x agp and RivaTuner just can't see it?

i have two quick questions everyone...

1-could i apply the 5900 to 5900U on this card:

Asylum Geforce FX 5900 128MB?

2-i still havent bought a high end vid card,which of these2 would ya recommend:

Asylum Geforce FX 5900 128MB($172US)<<< OR

GeCube Radeon 9800 128MB($259US)>>>>???