Sign in to follow this  
Nuclear

A 5900 To 5950u

ok thanx for the info..

can run my card at 500/1000mhz with the stock voltage...but it's not stable..some lockups...maybe it will be better with the other bios?

What you need to do is underclock it after you flash it. I got the exact same card you do, the eVga 5900SE. The 5950 bios I used pushes it's clocks to I think 510mhz core and a 950mhz ram speed. Stock SE bios comes 400core and 700ram.

The stable speeds I got are around 435core, and 840ram. It didn't really help with my core overclock from stock SE speeds, but I was able to get get about 100mhz higher OC on my ram.

So after flashing it, you need to alter the speeds. No way the 5900SE will run at stock 5950 speeds, they weren't built to run that fast, but some have gotten close.

The original plan was to flash the card, and underclock it in XP(I can do 475mhz core, memory doesn't like anything above 710mhz though), however due to problem #1 listed above, it's not possible on my main nforce2 based machine. Anyone have any idea why it's stuck at AGP 2x after flashing? As I said, nForce2 boards only support 4x/8x cards (or atleast that is what I believe to be the problem), so it totally refuses to work properly after flashing. Here are the steps I followed:

1) Uninstall all Nvidia display drivers.

2) Run NVcleaner.

3) boot from floppy, and flash to the 5950U bios.

4) boot into XP, install display drivers and reboot.

5) boot back into XP

After booting back to XP, the colors are stuck on 4 color (UGLY), and the highest res is 640x480. Theres a nice exclamation point on the 5950U in the device manager. It reports that there aren't enough free resources available, which is false. I've disabled all onboard devices, removed all PCI devices, and it changed nothing. I can't underclock the card at that point, since it's not properly working. The moment I flash back to the 5900SE bios, things are just fine again, and the display drivers install without a hitch.

Edited by trasixes

Man O Man, I thought this topic was dead.

This BIOS tightens up the mem timings and slightly increases the voltage of the card. The voltage increase isn't enough to cause stability when there was none. The tightened mem timings is what gives the SE cards a fit, most can't handle it.

This BIOS and mod my not cause your card or scores to go up, but the card seems to run alot smoother with the flash. It isn't for everyone, and has the possibility to damage a card.

What about the "auto-brake" feature built into Nvidia's core? Cards with thermal monitoring utilize the "auto-brake" more actively as does the 44.03 driver. This limits the overclock potential for the FX5900XT/SE. Many believe using Nvidia's 53.03 driver and flashing the FX5900 bios to the Asus V9950SE (if you can find one) is the best way to work around it. Also, I hear the V9950SE bios eliminates the 2D/3D driver feature. Anyone have the V9950SE bios?

I too get the not enough resources problem in windows. Here's the really odd thing though... With the card flashed with 5950u rom (doesn't matter what make), it reports the memory range A0000000 - BFFFFFFF is unavailable. With the card flashed with the 5900se rom, it runs fine but the memory range is 000A0000 - 000BFFFF. This is with using the PNY 5900se. I'd like to know how Agallion got his to work right. Or if he too had the same problem in windows.

JSable

Disable unused peripheral components through bios, then, in bios, make sure you have the AGP mem size set to the same amount of memory as what the card physically has. This fixed the same problem in my computer.

i had to replace my card acaully now

yea i was stuck at 4x agp so i flash down to 5900 ultra then tried to go to 5900se..no go the bios on the card went to hell hence my other topics in theis section about my card lol

I'm debating doing the same myself. The card runs fine, but at 4x. So what card (besides a 400-500 dollar card) should I get now? Unless someone knows how to fix the 4x agp problem......

OK, here's my update on the situation. a rabbit got it right in setting the agp memory to actuall physical memory on the card. I had mine set to 256 and set it to 128 and the resource problem went away. BUT... I need a bios that nuclear has modded to be further modded to a lower ram and core speed. The ones now artifact way too much that it ends up shutting down the card before my windows has time to boot and allow me to set it.

WARNING!!!!

I wanted to add this as this has just happened to me... I went to mvktech to see what bios it offered, found a modded bios with clocks set to 300/400 core 700 ram. BUT!!.. it didn't work in windows and now I know why...when i went back to flash it back to my orig bios wfflash claims no NV device found!! even though it posts with a 5950 ultra screen. So, DO NOT use the bios from that site on your 5900se (or at least not the gainward one).

I ended up buying a new 5900se and taking it back with my old 5900se in the box :)

JSable

Did my BIOS cause you troubles JSable, or the one from MVKTech? I can mod another BIOS with lower clocks and looser RAM timings, but what would be the point? You would end up with a 5950U that has slower clocks, it would basically be just to say you had a flashed card.

I have said time and time again...my BIOS will not work on every card. It runs very tight mem timings that will push any RAM to its limits. Most people have great success with my package and BIOS, but I only hear about the ones that went bad.

Your BIOS went fine Nulcear, it was the MKVtech one that killed the card. The reason I ask for the lower timings is so I could up them in increments. Or would this basicly be the same thing using it's original bios? What I mean to say is, with the 5950 bios am i getting anything else aside from the ram and core speeds? I fully understand it won't work on everyone's cards. I was just trying to find a solution for us with SE cards. From the looks of it, I think the problem with the SE cards is the ram used on the boards can't handle the speeds of the 5950. Or at least the PNY cards can't.

JSable