Nuclear

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok i just sold my ti 4600 for $130 :D

now im looking for a 5900 for no more then $220

anybody can anyone recremend a brand or place to buy one off?

I'll sell you my Gigabye FX 5900XT for $180+$15 shipping. It's new, only had it for like a month or so I think. STill have all the adapters and games in the package.

The 5900 core is different from the 5950 core, so how can the BIOS flash work?

Good Lord this is an old topic...

The 5900 and 5950 share the same core. It was a major blunder by Nvidia. You can flash any 5900 series that has the ability to run at 5950U speeds.

I can personally now testify that the PNY does work and survive the flash..i used the leadtek bios however..just finished the flash about 10 mins ago ill test later when im acually sapose to get the comp back(i had to sneak and smuggle it around my house lol)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys, I'm new here :D . I just flashed my EVGA 5900SE with the 5950U bios, and it went fine until I booted into XP. I've found 2 major hurdles (for me anyway).

1) nForce 2 based motherboards only support 4x/8x AGP (or so the specs say), and the card is locked at 2x after flashing, which wreaks major havoc in windows. I can install drivers, but I get the ever-so-lovely (!) in the device manager, along with a nice message about "Couldn't find enough free resources...". I figured this must be caused by the lack of AGP 2x support, and was confirmed when I moved the card to a board with 2x support. On the "other board", a ECS SiS based board, the drivers installed fine, and everything was peachy... until problem 2 reared it's ugly head. Also, I removed the Nvidia display drivers, and used NVcleaner before doing the mod, and testing on the nForce2 board.

2) The card cannot handle the increased clock speeds. I got artifacts in windows!! No 3D whatsoever. Booting into XP led to artifacts, random reboots, freezing etc. This was on the ECS board, with AGP at 2x.

I flashed back to the original 5900SE bios without issues, and everything is fine now. I'm guessing this is bad news as far as the mod goes? Ah well, it's a nice card anyway!

Edited by trasixes

What you need to do is underclock it after you flash it. I got the exact same card you do, the eVga 5900SE. The 5950 bios I used pushes it's clocks to I think 510mhz core and a 950mhz ram speed. Stock SE bios comes 400core and 700ram.

The stable speeds I got are around 435core, and 840ram. It didn't really help with my core overclock from stock SE speeds, but I was able to get get about 100mhz higher OC on my ram.

So after flashing it, you need to alter the speeds. No way the 5900SE will run at stock 5950 speeds, they weren't built to run that fast, but some have gotten close.

Guest Ballz2TheWallz

but it can run faster with better quality and core/memory get more voltage

Exactly what is it that this bios does?? increases the volt and tightening the memory timings? got a Gainward 5900 Ultra 256MB that I'm running at 490/950mhz.

Kinda interested in trying out the mod and see what it does for me.

Also wondering...I have an ABIT IC7-MAX3..and in the bios I can give the AGP slot more power...is it the same thing that this hacked bios does??

Guest Ballz2TheWallz

no most all people see no higher clocks with that, i would think cause iit raises voltage for the whole card not just one componet so its getting so little voltage it still cant do more