Cancel your MW2 (PC) preorders

nickosha

I think Infinity Ward is making a huge mistake here.

PC Gaming is heavily dependent on dedicated servers. First off, it's common knowledge that a big part of online gaming is the social aspect, and with dedicated servers, you would have "regulars" (people who play mostly on that one server) coming to play on said server. You'd end up with tightly knit communities with a big group of friends. Without dedicated servers, you no longer have that tightly knit social community, and people begin to lose interest.

Another large impact that the lack of dedicated servers has is the lack of modding. Yes, a game can be good without modding, but it adds; A LOT. Just look at Counter-Strike, it's one of the most popular examples of a game made famous by modding. Not only was it made by modders (and bought out by Valve), but I'm pretty sure that the non-professional gamer wouldn't be playing a deathmatch game mode for eight years. Well, maybe they would, for the social aspect, which is going to be lost without dedicated servers anyway.

A smaller issue is that proffessional gamers won't be able to play reliably without dedicated servers. They are going to notice that at 80 ping, their shots aren't registering on the hitboxes, and that's a big issue for those gamers.

Even if Modern Warfare 2 does sell well, there's no way it's going to last for long like Modern Warfare 1.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bad Company 2 replaces what i expected MW2 to be

someone needs to tell IW that no one likes change, not even mildly good change

sure IWnet has it's advantages, but didn't they think about trying to figure out a way to have the matchmaking system with dedicated servers, you plug in the rules you want and it pops out a server list of all the servers with your rules,i mean there is a million ways they could have done this they just picked the douchiest one, the one that screws the PC community and social atmosphere in the butt

Edited by molotovdaskwerl

All you have to do is select the playlist (pre-set gametypes with custom rules) that fits the style of play you are in the mood for. When you do, it will automatically find you a game with the best performance, ping, and preferences based on your location and individual connection as well as matching you with players of your same SKILL. So you

What do you expect? a 20% discount for your 'loyalty' and a golden carpet (non magic variant) to be laid out for you? Its becuase STEAM SUCKS!! :lol: Sorry i couldnt help it, though i have my valid reasons for not liking it and i DO own a few STEAM games :P

Well its the same price everywhere else too. $60 for a pc game is ridiculous. And almost every other game that is released on Steam has a special offer if you preorder, at least the more anticipated or more popular ones do anyway.

Gamestop $60

Amazon $60

Its only $54 on Newegg

Looks like I'll be waiting to find it in the bargain bin at the local game exchange.

i dont know what you americans are complaining about. over here in australia it will end up retailing around $100 for pc and $110 on xb or PS3. how is that fair when our $ is buying about $0.92USD

edit: ebgames is advertising MW2 for PS3 and xbox at $119AUD. how is that fair at all? and people wonder why piracy is on the rise

Edited by bilcliff

i dont know what you americans are complaining about. over here in australia it will end up retailing around $100 for pc and $110 on xb or PS3. how is that fair when our $ is buying about $0.92USD

edit: ebgames is advertising MW2 for PS3 and xbox at $119AUD. how is that fair at all? and people wonder why piracy is on the rise

You speak an undeniable truth :(

Giggle about relying on VAC instead of Punkbuster. Both don't work well.

IMO VAC is better than Punkbuster (even though they have similar results) because it requires so much less work on the user's end.

That is ridiculous, especially with USD currency being so very low right now. So your 100AUD is worth 92USD....and it's a digital download! Huge profits for them...I wouldn't buy it for that price...

Tbh,Im definetly buying the game.Cod 4 was great,so mw2 will be as well.I dont completely agree with what theyre doing with the servers,but after reading some quotes from activision i can sort of see what they are trying to do.And think about it,when your in the middle of a heated online game,whos gonna notice?