gtx 295 or ati 5870

Caddy Daddy

I fully expected the GTX 295 to get knocked around it was to be expected it better have happened or ATI would have looked awful coming out of the gate. You can bet that the 300 series cards will counter thats pretty much a given.

I am just curious as anyone given any thought to why ATI is charging less for their GPU's. I am curious as to what you guys think the reasons might be.

Can you retype that post, I'm so confused at what you're trying to say. :blink: Something about thinking the 295 was going to get slapped around...then something about ati having a bad start with the 5series?? 300 series will make a comeback, and then it sounds like you're asking us why we think ATI cards are much more affordable?? (did I comprehend your message correctly??)

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I fully expected the GTX 295 to get knocked around it was to be expected it better have happened or ATI would have looked awful coming out of the gate. You can bet that the 300 series cards will counter thats pretty much a given.

I am just curious as anyone given any thought to why ATI is charging less for their GPU's. I am curious as to what you guys think the reasons might be.

Survival. The company as a whole isn't making money. Lowering their profit margin increases volume and market share which may lead to more money down the road. Getting these new cards out before the Christmas time sales for pre-built PCs may get them into more homes this year. Their lower pricing is an incentive to manufacturer's to decrease their build costs thus adopting ATI cards more readily. It's still a recession so getting the absolute most for your dollar seems more important than before. Also with money more scarce than before getting a high performance card out now can help to ensure that those that are upgrading will look to ATI's products first. They are performing better and cost less. Who knows where this economy is going. If you can afford one upgrade this year and nvidia doesn't have anything to offer that will sway you, ATI wins.

The I'm with Stupid icon ( :withstupid: ) actually means that you agree. I know, it sounds dumb, but that's how people use it.

And they were complementing you. You used to say a lot of wrong stuff, but with that post you said the right things and backed your argument.

finally i understood what this sign mean , thanks :)

:withstupid:

:lol:

Edited by N.E.A

Can you retype that post, I'm so confused at what you're trying to say. :blink: Something about thinking the 295 was going to get slapped around...then something about ati having a bad start with the 5series?? 300 series will make a comeback, and then it sounds like you're asking us why we think ATI cards are much more affordable?? (did I comprehend your message correctly??)

IVI go back and slap your English teacher for me too.

finally i understood what this sign mean , thanks :)

Fashionably late to the party I see...

Ya you did sorry I am little tired tonight.

Here is how is should have been written.

I fully expected the 5000 series to come out with a bang due to it being a whole new generation. Being that the 295 is a dual GPU card I expected both cards to trade blows here and there. I expected the 5870 to perform well out of the gate because it could have been a disaster if it didn't.

As for my question it was just a general question as to what people think the reasoning for ATI selling their cards cheaper even though they hold the performance crown on a single GPU.

Is that better? :)

IVI go back and slap your English teacher for me too.

Fashionably late to the party I see...

:lol: IVI needs english lesson :lol:

i know , it is almost 7 AM here and i am about to go to college , there is a ( WELCOME PARTY )

i did not check yesterday because my finger was squashed like a bug and i went to hospital :(

( I HATE SHOTS ....:( )

Edited by N.E.A

I fully expected the 5000 series to come out with a bang due to it being a whole new generation. Being that the 295 is a dual GPU card I expected both cards to trade blows here and there. I expected the 5870 to perform well out of the gate because it could have been a disaster if it didn't.

As for my question it was just a general question as to what people think the reasoning for ATI selling their cards cheaper even though they hold the performance crown on a single GPU.

Yeah, I just didn't want to respond without knowing what I was reading was what I thought it was.

As for why ATI sells their cards so cheap, it's definitely to get more ATI cards into more homes, even at the immediate deficit. Once they gain loyal customers they can stabilize their profit/expense margins or atleast that's probably their master plan. Like Rourk said, the better price/performance is what people are looking for now and ATI knows this will move their products and they're capitalizing on this fact.

I understood it fine. I think it's about sacrificing now to increase market share later.

I did too but it was rough, and I wanted to make sure I read it right.

Edited by IVIYTH0S

if you want cheap you buy a kia or a suzuki or hyundai.... if you want quality you dont go to the Mercedes dealer trying to chew down the price of a premium s class now do you? As far as I can see Ati has used the "low cost" option for years while nVidia has always been more expensive. I dont think its stopped anyone from buying a nVidia product who already had their mindset on buying one..... I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for and I WANT PhysX and Cuda and nVidia quality.

if you want cheap you buy a kia or a suzuki or hyundai.... if you want quality you dont go to the Mercedes dealer trying to chew down the price of a premium s class now do you? As far as I can see Ati has used the "low cost" option for years while nVidia has always been more expensive. I dont think its stopped anyone from buying a nVidia product who already had their mindset on buying one..... I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for and I WANT PhysX and Cuda and nVidia quality.

and you can GET physx and cuda with the supporting nvidia card lol. Your car analogy is laughable, I hate cars like Mercedes that charge what they do. Hyundai's and Kia's really are outstanding quality for their price point (believe me I was always a blind american car lover, but you have to give korean's credit where credit is due). Let's see Mercedes make a car just as good for their price point...oops can't do that. Blowing money isn't the answer to everything, I know you're out to justify your own purchase (we all are) but you need to face facts that ATI doesn't make low quality cards just because you get more for what you pay for instead of the other way around

a better car example would be the new Nissan GTR which costs $80,000 and smokes stupid cars like Ferrari's and Lamborghini's that cost $100,000+. And it's not just a chassis with a motor, it's a sexy, beautifully crafted exotic sports car...it's just one with a company who can deliver a better or equal product to their customers for a more reasonable price.

Edited by IVIYTH0S

:) I like how it's gotten shorter :thumbs-up:, best part of that review. Not a bad card at all....Still not ready to leave my 4870x2 yet... :rolleyes:

You're entitled to your opinion, but it's not that black and white. Evga isn't the only good company around, it is a shame they only manufacture nvidia boards but nonetheless it's not the end of the world since there are great manufacturer's of AMD/ATI boards. When you can pop in a 9600GT and have the same physics power I wouldn't exactly call the single card solution "quality" (note: the 9600GT doesn't even break a sweat from what I've heard). Sure the convenience level isn't equal when running say a 5870 and a 9600GT to just one 295 but, you spent less and got equal or better...and you still end up with two cards either way :thumb-up: lol.

Most benchmarks i seen, anytime there is a second card for physx vs the gtx295 doing both, the gtx295 is much slower. i seen a gtx275/gtx280/gtx285 with a gts250-physx beat out the gtx295 doing both. I would say a single gtx295 for physX and gpu rendering is no where as good as a gtx285 w gts250 or even a 9600gt. So yes i would also say a 5870 or even 5850 with a little 9600gt(gso even) would blow away a gtx 295 doin both.

well, i also believe that ATI made a very cost efficient product. I think they took a smarter route in the economy we are in. Its an extention of what they were already doing, just a very good product.

I think it is a major blow to nvidia. They have to be blown away by the prices. They are probably gonna loose money if they sell their 300 series cards at those prices. I am sure they have a 370$ product in their lineup, but i just dont think anyone expected the cost/performance the 5800 series brought on. But to be fair, i have seen gtx285 for $245

and while the 5890 does best the gtx285, I still think they can compete with each other. Nvidia could drop their gtx285 prices and go with it, but see i dont think they will make much profit or any at all like that. And the 5850 does make profit at these low low prices.

Nvidias 300 series are gonna be much more powerful then the gtx285. I just dont see them being able to be sold for less then the gtx285, its not gonna be able to. ATI has an edge here, a very good position. Its a good time and place to be. We dont really need the power of two gtx 285s, one 5850 will suit just about anyones need. Thats why i think we should push the smaller Nvidia cards for physX, along with the HD5850 (or 5870), now seeing its performance i dont see the justification for the 5870 price. This is a good opportunity for everyone.

get the word out, dont let ppl think they cant have both ATI and physX. its very possible.

The only problem I see with running PhysX is with the older driver there has been a ton of performance fixes not to mention if an older driver doesn't support a new game then we are screwed. :(

Personally I can't recommend ATI at this point just the loss I saw with Batman is enough for me to justify it. I am not saying that ATI is no good but for me personally NVIDIA is what I want because what I enjoy with NVIDIA, ATI doesn't even get into same playing field. Hopefully things will change and ATI can be used with PhysX but I see newer cards coming from NVIDIA before that happens. In the meantime I decided to go with Quad SLI to play around and have some fun, it was ticking me off that ccokeman was having all the fun :lol: