gtx 295 or ati 5870

Caddy Daddy

and you can GET physx and cuda with the supporting nvidia card lol. Your car analogy is laughable, I hate cars like Mercedes that charge what they do. Hyundai's and Kia's really are outstanding quality for their price point (believe me I was always a blind american car lover, but you have to give korean's credit where credit is due). Let's see Mercedes make a car just as good for their price point...oops can't do that. Blowing money isn't the answer to everything, I know you're out to justify your own purchase (we all are) but you need to face facts that ATI doesn't make low quality cards just because you get more for what you pay for instead of the other way around

a better car example would be the new Nissan GTR which costs $80,000 and smokes stupid cars like Ferrari's and Lamborghini's that cost $100,000+. And it's not just a chassis with a motor, it's a sexy, beautifully crafted exotic sports car...it's just one with a company who can deliver a better or equal product to their customers for a more reasonable price.

and you hate nvidia, lol!

dont turn this into a fanboy rave.

kia's suck!!!!

really man nvidia is doing a lot these days. Trying to change things, and as much as you dont like them, they do deserve some credit. Nvidia is pushing things in a new direction and has made some good ground. You should be able to step back and see that. I would love to have a 5850, but i couldnt be happier with this gtx 260. I also see the shady crap nvidia pulls, but i also see them pushing hard in new directions that very few believed would make any gains. Nvidia is leading in many ways but ATI may offer a better value. Its not always black or white. look in the middle and you will see, nvidia has change a lot about our idea of computers. We are now always hearing, when is ATI gonna have their version of PhysX, it better be soon. is this not proof of something? Havok will be running on your GPUs soon, is this not proof that Nvidia is changing things for the better? Maybe you dont like them, but they are a major influence, and will take our pcs further and further to the next level. Its already happening.

I say this but I have been telling the OP to get the 5870 over the gtx295. Because it is a more attractive option. But really now i say get the 5850, then he will save so much he can buy windows7 and a 9600gt for any physX game he wants. If that dont secure his gaming needs for the next couple of yrs, I dont know what can.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

a better car example would be the new Nissan GTR which costs $80,000 and smokes stupid cars like Ferrari's and Lamborghini's that cost $100,000+. And it's not just a chassis with a motor, it's a sexy, beautifully crafted exotic sports car...it's just one with a company who can deliver a better or equal product to their customers for a more reasonable price.

That's not a good example. The GTR is a completely different kind of car.

If you wanted to go that route the Ariel Atom slaps them all absolutely silly for a fraction of the cost.

kia's suck!!!!

really man nvidia is doing a lot these days. Trying to change things, and as much as you dont like them, they do deserve some credit. Nvidia is pushing things in a new direction and has made some good ground. You should be able to step back and see that. I would love to have a 5850, but i couldnt be happier with this gtx 260. I also see the shady crap nvidia pulls, but i also see them pushing hard in new directions that very few believed would make any gains. Nvidia is leading in many ways but ATI may offer a better value. Its not always black or white. look in the middle and you will see, nvidia has change a lot about our idea of computers. We are now always hearing, when is ATI gonna have their version of PhysX, it better be soon. is this not proof of something? Havok will be running on your GPUs soon, is this not proof that Nvidia is changing things for the better? Maybe you dont like them, but they are a major influence, and will take our pcs further and further to the next level. Its already happening.

I say this but I have been telling the OP to get the 5870 over the gtx295. Because it is a more attractive option. But really now i say get the 5850, then he will save so much he can buy windows7 and a 9600gt for any physX game he wants. If that dont secure his gaming needs for the next couple of yrs, I dont know what can.

yeah, maybe I should have left out kia but hyundai's really have come a long way (the way kia names their cars alone would have me never stepping foot on a kia dealership, unless I magically turned spanish)

I am glad they are pushing this new technology, but at the same time they want to keep it all to themselves which I think is selfish (as is ATI for not taking a FREE offer of Physx implementation).

@ Bosco, as far as I know the driver improvements wouldn't matter since we can still update the physx alone and that's all we're using the card for (outside us folders).

I'm admittedly a flip-flopper but probably 60% time ATI will win be back to their side.

That's not a good example. The GTR is a completely different kind of car.

If you wanted to go that route the Ariel Atom slaps them all absolutely silly for a fraction of the cost.

how's that not a good example, the GTR is clearly in the same league as a ferrari.

I love the atom like the rest of us, but i mearly mentioned a car with all it's creature comforts intact. I could of said any car built up to exceed the standards of company A but I chose a comparably classed super car.

I wasn't trying to compare the mercedes with the GTR if that's what you were implying.

Edited by IVIYTH0S

@ Bosco, as far as I know the driver improvements wouldn't matter since we can still update the physx alone and that's all we're using the card for (outside us folders).

Ya thats a great point but the question is what improvements are offered in the PhysX update thats the thing that makes me wonder.

kia's suck!!!!

really man nvidia is doing a lot these days. Trying to change things, and as much as you dont like them, they do deserve some credit. Nvidia is pushing things in a new direction and has made some good ground.

Nvidia is pushing things in a new direction? if you mean physx, that was just a great move to take business from ati and justify the slight price difference between ati and nvidia equivalents (ex: 260-4870, 275-4890). I think neither company has done anything revolutionary and they are just companies doing what is necessary to make money, it is 2009 and we still don't have flying cars, hover boots, hover boards, holograms (though I think I remember reading that they are working on them) and we don't have life like graphics, worst of all we still boil stuff down to good and evil, nvidia is bad because they are the majority, just like intel?? how does that make since. All I want is for VIA to release a real desktop processor so that amd/intel/nvidia all start trying, the 5000 series is okay but wouldn't it be so much better if it were the same difference in performance/visuals that you get when going from star fox for the super nintendo to star fox 64?

They all suck! (amd/nvidia/intel)

Nvidia is pushing things in a new direction? if you mean physx, that was just a great move to take business from ati and justify the slight price difference between ati and nvidia equivalents (ex: 260-4870, 275-4890). I think neither company has done anything revolutionary and they are just companies doing what is necessary to make money, it is 2009 and we still don't have flying cars, hover boots, hover boards, holograms (though I think I remember reading that they are working on them) and we don't have life like graphics, worst of all we still boil stuff down to good and evil, nvidia is bad because they are the majority, just like intel?? how does that make since. All I want is for VIA to release a real desktop processor so that amd/intel/nvidia all start trying, the 5000 series is okay but wouldn't it be so much better if it were the same difference in performance/visuals that you get when going from star fox for the super nintendo to star fox 64?

yeah but you have to hand it to them, they met their goal pretty well. 200% performance (compared to 4870) with 50% power consumption (compared to 4870x2)

I don't know if this means anything or not as far as when nvidia's new cards will be released http://www.tomshardware.com/news/gigabyte-...e-gtx,8745.html

Gigabyte is holding a GeForce overclocking competition for GTX260s, GTX275s, and GTX275s in SLI from October through December. If new cards were scheduled for release wouldn't one of nvidia's manufacturing partners know. If they know then why hold a competition with older cards(in relative terms) if a new card was to debut? Just some food for thought and far out speculation.

Some ppl cant see the forest for the trees. I dont think physX is their justification, actually i figure they havent been able to match ati price wise and make a profit. ATI is a little more efficient. Nvidia has done much more then physX, you can see this if you choose, its all over. but GPU advanced physics is a feat that should be noticed by you. HavoK notes this, ATI does as well, but i guess you fail to see the importance.

The fact that Nvidia is trying to keep it all for themselves is irrelevant in the long run. Things have changed because of their push, it wont remain as it is. it is something nvidia worked hard at, and went at it all alone. but Everyone including developers want a unified option, and eventually we will have one. That is without a doubt. This is what matters. but geez this physX is everywhere now, in every discussion about the 5800 series, all over the freakn net. Like wild fires. so many ppl dis'n Nvidia, so many ppl saying suck it up buy Nvidia or wait or you will be left out. I think we should face the truth, its getting pretty serious.

But we can have a 5870 and physX, we can do both: dont be left out, and dont let Nvidia win. Its gonna sort itself out in the long run. ATI could still suck it up and get physX, any day of the week, all their gpus can run cuda, its not that they cant, its just that they cant agree. But any ATI gpu owner can get windows 7 and an older nvidia card/ driver and enjoy physX along with the rest of everyone. These are just a few games, but already ppl feel left out. More and more are coming. its just a fact. lets just not let ppl think they have to buy solely big Nvidia gpus for PhysX. anyone can get it for a few buck cheepo and windows 7. I would bet driver hacks are in the works right now.