gtx 295 or ati 5870

Caddy Daddy

Thats not an ideal method. Close but you cant just tests crysis, you would want other games (with different engines actually) If you can max out crysis with a 5870 thats fine, but what about Dead Space? that game will annihilate just about any ATI card. Like bosco said it depends what games you play.

As for the OP, the 5870 and GTX 295 perform similarly...now. but who knows, come next month when ATI releases new drivers, we might see a fair boost in performance ("might" being the key word). ;)

Because 109fps+ in dead space just isn't good enough, but good points otherwise :rolleyes:

Edited by IVIYTH0S

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm with anyone here who is saying 5870. xD

Also if you do wish to go with PhysX then use an old card and the older drivers with it. It is apparently not worth nVidias time to increase their market share by opening it to people buying their older GPUs for PhysX when using a non nVidia GPU.

Thats not an ideal method. Close but you cant just tests crysis, you would want other games (with different engines actually) If you can max out crysis with a 5870 thats fine, but what about Dead Space? that game will annihilate just about any ATI card. Like bosco said it depends what games you play.

As for the OP, the 5870 and GTX 295 perform similarly...now. but who knows, come next month when ATI releases new drivers, we might see a fair boost in performance ("might" being the key word). ;)

man it doesnt even matter, the gtx295 cost 35% more over the hd5870 and it also uses about 100 more watts. Its not worth it at all, especially at the res he is gonna play. I think of dual cards as a single slot sli or CF. I never got to excited about the 4870 X2 when all the hype about the performance crown came up. And i didnt see the GTX295 as getting it back. They are no more then SLI and CF on a single slot.

The hd5870 is tops, it does what it does well. And at a very low power draw. Its like also 100watts less then the 4870 X2 but for the same strength. Its an amassing feat i would say. A single solution, it doesnt have to worry about about scaling, its promising.

but anyway i was surprised to see the gtx295 scale so well. these days the scaling is really there for the 295. That was the major flaw in dual cards, which nvidia seemed to partially overcome. But i still dont put these together as comparative, although they are competing. the hd5870 is a milestone achievement. ATI has a solid product, one that is gonna make them some good profits. hats off.

the gtx 295 is power hungry sli setup on a single slot solution. its not dx11. its very expensive, its not even the best physX solution. It doesnt matter if the new 5870 drivers increase the 5870 performance or not, there is just not much of a comparison, other the the slightly better performance, but geez look how much power it waste to do that.

I'm with anyone here who is saying 5870. xD

Also if you do wish to go with PhysX then use an old card and the older drivers with it. It is apparently not worth nVidias time to increase their market share by opening it to people buying their older GPUs for PhysX when using a non nVidia GPU.

i just think its nvidias way to try and pressure ATI to license physX through cuda. I think its not ever gonna happen, but nvidia is bringing on the pressure. Really if you look at it the other way around. ATI may loose more and more sales just because of physX. It goes both ways. ATI can change this, but they stubbed physX, and their gpu owners are at a loss

i just think its nvidias way to try and pressure ATI to license physX through cuda. I think its not ever gonna happen, but nvidia is bringing on the pressure. Really if you look at it the other way around. ATI may loose more and more sales just because of physX. It goes both ways. ATI can change this, but they stubbed physX, and their gpu owners are at a loss

It could be the other way around potentially. As I see it thought PhysX is nothing more than eyecandy and far from necessary at this point. I think even a lot of users on here would agree with that also. Really the whole thing with them disabling support when it worked before has gotten them a lot of negative attention and it might cause people to boycott them for it rather than buy their GPU because it works if it do it their way. I could see it differently if it never worked right off the bat.

It could be the other way around potentially. As I see it thought PhysX is nothing more than eyecandy and far from necessary at this point. I think even a lot of users on here would agree with that also. Really the whole thing with them disabling support when it worked before has gotten them a lot of negative attention and it might cause people to boycott them for it rather than buy their GPU because it works if it do it their way. I could see it differently if it never worked right off the bat.

I can agree with that. I don't really care all that much about PhysX. It would be great if I could use it but since I can't it won't effect me much. I've been playing Darkest of Days which uses PhysX and I think the game runs great and looks great on a 5870. I don't need a card with this much power to play most games. There are a few and will surely be more in the months to come that will give this card a workout. I like running benchmarks and having a low idle power. Two great excuses for me to buy this card. When gaming I want something that doesn't get bogged down and lag. The 5870 handles everything so far with ease.

I've been thinking of buying an nvidia card just to run PhysX and see what I'm missing. Batman Arkam Asylum in particular. I have a m-atx board so my options are a little limited. If I chose there are ways to work around some of the limitations but in the end I'll pobably opt to buy a second 5870. I'm going to sleep on it tonight to make sure I don't have any regrets with my decision but in all likelyhood I'll order in the morning first thing. This is more in line with what I want and not neccessarily what others would want or what makes sense at my particular resolution. I'm curious enough to spend the money myself to find out what 2 of these can do in 3DMark. The low idle power will still offset some of the costs(I tell myself that for justification) and my PC will "feel" maxed out. At least for a couple of months I don't think there is anything I could add to make my system more powerful. At least until the 5870x2 and i9 Gulftown debut. It's also a great incentive/excuse for me to buy a larger LCD or a second LCD which I never considered before this card.

That is mostly my stance, what you have said. I think it is a d!k move on Nvidias part. And i hate that they did this, i really do. But i choose not to get emotionally attached in the corporate politics in the field i love so much. But it is hard to sometimes. Just look at the way intel has done both AMD and Nvidia, heck look what happened to poor old Via. Its a blood bath between the major players, and it seems like the PC industry is pretty hardcore in this way. This blood is sometimes spilled onto the consumer. But even though we dont always directly see or feel it, it is effecting us. Think about what could have been if nvidia wasnt boycotted from i7 chipsets. You could bet your ars even the intel lga1366 wouldve been cheaper. Intel used this to their leverage and not much after went to developers saying that intel GPUs were and were going to remain at over 70% of all home gpus. They were correct, because they eliminated any other intel cpu option, they were also aware of the fact that nvidia had decided to go with intel cpus for their chipsets, nvidia stupidly decided that they would drop future plans for AMD chipsets, and focus all their energy on intel chipset. People who bought the more expensive intel cpus would most likely want a higher powered GPU and they based all around this strategy. Intel knew all the chips was in this bag and burned it. But we all pay in the long run.

I think Nvidia is running out of road. They are in a way desperate to hold on to their GPU market, and they are doing everything they can to keep an advantage. over 20% of their profits was from chipsets in the past. All that is gone. Amd announced nvidia may not have license to produce chipsets for their future sockets. AM3 is the last one, and Nvidia is a yr behind. You will probably see nvidia doing more then the 980a, unless they just decided to let it go completely. See Nvidia is getting pushed out of the PC industry, they are pushing back. Its politics beyond the end user, but it effects us all the same. Nvidia is gonna play aggressive, they have to if they want to remain. When larabee hits, intel has a huge advantage and great position. They very well could be boards from intel that dont have PCIe slots, if larabee is a powerful enough GPU, they wont have to. They could have a larabee only socket for intel motherboards as well as larabee PCIe GPUs. Intel is very very aggressive (link), they have threaten to pull AMDs x86 license, they still may do it one day.

See there is a lot of unfair things going on in PCs. I love this business, i have always loved pc's, i hate their politics. I try to not get emotional over these crazy mofos and there corporate bull crap. I dont ignore it, I do take note. But this is a very aggressive field, i mean too aggressive i think. I dont agree with any shady crap. I can see Nvidia's desperate stance, but that isnt an excuse. There is also just too much going on back and forth that we dont even know about. But we sure do feel this one directly.

ATI users can still use a Nvidia card for PhysX. They couldve done more to stop it. Its not that hard, and they know ppl are doing it. It is just a sign to ATI that effects their users. But for anyone who really wants it, they can have it. We shouldnt let this stop us from doing the most with our PC. Its still a very do able situation. Its more of a msg to ATI then their GPU owners. Lets just spread the word, and forget about their corporate politics. Physics is just visual eye candy, yes. But so is AA, or even playing games on a monitor thats 1920 X 1080 over one 1680 X 1050. But i think there is even a big difference between those two comparisons and PhysX. but would you agree. Dont let this stop ppl from getting the most out of their PCs, that what i want to spread

Bottom line I think is IF you're building a rig JUST for GAMING then go with a nVidia card because that's truely what they're meant for, BUT if you want a rig to run benchmarks then go with the ati.... it really doesn't get any more simple then that guys. And a single 295 should run any game you throw at it with ease on that 26" monitor........

Bottom line I think is IF you're building a rig JUST for GAMING then go with a nVidia card because that's truely what they're meant for, BUT if you want a rig to run benchmarks then go with the ati.... it really doesn't get any more simple then that guys. And a single 295 should run any game you throw at it with ease on that 26" monitor........

Not sure where that is coming from as the 5870 gets with-in 10 frames on most benches and even bests the 295 in some tests for ~$100 less.

yeah but they have us to do the testing. I'll gladly get paid nvidia wages for that, right now I'm unofficially a tester

me too

my friend that is an opinion

Well all I know is that i've played the exact same game on a 4870x2 x2 quadfire rig with a i7 920 and on a 2x295 quad-sli and on some games who dont offer their own PhysX engine its pretty disappointing playing a game on a rig with an ati card where you lose out because PhysX support isn't there. Deny it all u want but those are the facts..... am i wrong?