buy via download or cd

Caddy Daddy

Hey guys just wondering if any here buys there games via dl like from direct2drive or rather have the cd. trying to decide which one to go with and want some feed back as to what u guys find better.

thanks

I get games both ways.

I usually like to buy a physical copy of the game rather than downloading it.

I've always been suspicious of download game services because while they can convenient like you don't have to go to the store and buy the game there's plenty of room for them to be abused. Like for example EA games which has a download limit which limits the number of times you can download the game from them and a download limit time period which limits the number or months or years you can download it from them. When you go over the limit they charge you extra to download the game again. Plus the fact that any download service has the right to remove purchased games from your account prevent you from downloading them.

I get games both ways.

I usually like to buy a physical copy of the game rather than downloading it.

I've always been suspicious of download game services because while they can convenient like you don't have to go to the store and buy the game there's plenty of room for them to be abused. Like for example EA games which has a download limit which limits the number of times you can download the game from them and a download limit time period which limits the number or months or years you can download it from them. When you go over the limit they charge you extra to download the game again. Plus the fact that any download service has the right to remove purchased games from your account prevent you from downloading them.

I would stay away from developer's sites when buying games online. They usually charge more and things like that.

Steam is a very good system for digital distribution. I use it all the time. However on release days their servers might be overloaded. So if you really want to play it the second it comes out, buy the hard copy instead.

I buy both ways. But download ONLY through Steam. Infact, tis got to the point where if I can, ill get the game of Steam, even if its the same price.

I wont pay more for steam, but I much prefer just having the games in my Steam account, and being able to back them all up. Cases are nice, but not that nice that id walk to town, or pay more for them.

Only games I buy online is from Steam. Personally I love Steam. Steam never complains about me being in my underwear when I buy from them :O

:withstupid: I buy both physical and digital...when I do the latter, it's always thru Steam. Aside from Valve games, when a game is new, I'll usually buy the physical copy. Most non-Valve games I've bought on Steam have been the result of Steam Weekend Deals, such as Assassin's Creed.

:withstupid: Games like HL2, CS:S, and Orange Box...I all own physical copies of. They've also been put onto my steam accounts. If it's the same game version, you can redownload it from steam at a later point in time :)

I enjoy the ease of installing a game with steam.

I've purchased via Steam, Amazon, Xbox Live Marketplace and Direct2Drive. While I like Steam and XBLM the best, D2D isn't bad. They all allow you to re-download games as needed. Though D2D games usually require a different patch when a game gets updated. An example of that can be seen here. The only service I refuse to use is EA's download service. Grrr.

I use to prefer the physical copy, box, and user manual. But truth is, I rarely read the manuals, and the boxes are just sitting around taking up space in the closet or on a shelf. HDD space is cheap these days, so there really isn't much reason (IMO) for the physical copies.

I buy games on steam whenever possible. I'm a sucker for the community features, and to me, the ability to simply redownload my game whenever the heck I want, along with the auto-patching, is priceless in my opinion. It is so rare for Steam to malfunction these days that I really don't mind using it.